Taito Type X2 cap replacement and QoL fixes?

PCB problems and fixes
Steve
Please Continue...
eBay: steᴠen_jt

Taito Type X2 cap replacement and QoL fixes?

Post by Steve »

Have a set of TypeX2s - one gets a regular run in my Lindbergh but the other has sat in storage since purchase.

Decided to open up the other one up recently to find dust bunnies caked up in the cooling fans which has been cleaned out. Also noticed that one of the 1000uF capacitors between the pci slots has domed so might do a full recap on both machines. Does anyone have a map of all caps on the board including the SMDs near the CPU socket? Wondering if I might need to replace all of them to extend life on both machines.

Also considering installing a CR2032 holder for the 3v battery - are there any BIOS suicide issues with loss of power if I disconnect as with CPS2 and 3?
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Re: Taito Type X2 cap replacement and QoL fixes?

Post by jimmerd »

Steve wrote: January 5th, 2022, 11:37 pm Have a set of TypeX2s - one gets a regular run in my Lindbergh but the other has sat in storage since purchase.

Decided to open up the other one up recently to find dust bunnies caked up in the cooling fans which has been cleaned out. Also noticed that one of the 1000uF capacitors between the pci slots has domed so might do a full recap on both machines. Does anyone have a map of all caps on the board including the SMDs near the CPU socket? Wondering if I might need to replace all of them to extend life on both machines.

Also considering installing a CR2032 holder for the 3v battery - are there any BIOS suicide issues with loss of power if I disconnect as with CPS2 and 3?
Don't remove the battery.

I believe you would need to keep it powered whilst swapping to avoid loosing data in the BIOS that would prevent booting.
DariusBurst or Cyberdiver will suicide and so probably others.

I would also be interested in learning the best way to fit a CR2032.
"Please contact the local attendant"
Steve
Please Continue...
eBay: steᴠen_jt

Post by Steve »

jimmerd wrote: January 8th, 2022, 2:45 pm Don't remove the battery.

I believe you would need to keep it powered whilst swapping to avoid loosing data in the BIOS that would prevent booting.
DariusBurst or Cyberdiver will suicide and so probably others.

I would also be interested in learning the best way to fit a CR2032.
Probably the same principle for the CPS boards - need to solder on a temporary battery in parallel before removing the old one so at to keep the battery power going while you swap out.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

There should be a capacitor in parallel with the battery. That's why you why need to jumper a connection when you want to clear CMOS on PC motherboards, just removing the battery won't do it.

So plug it in, keep it running for a few hours. Then unplug and replace battery.

And actually, it's the same thing with CPS2 boards as well (capacitor EXC5).