SF2HF Graphical Glitches - Isolated to C Board

PCB problems and fixes
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

SF2HF Graphical Glitches - Isolated to C Board

Post by NoAffinity »

I'm getting some graphical glitches on this SF2HF board. I swapped the C board from a working SF2HF, and the problems go away and the board plays great. I tried swapping the PAL chips from known good C board to questionable C board. No improvement. What's next? Is the CPS-B-21 shot?

copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Re: SF2HF Graphical Glitches - Isolated to C Board

Post by copados33 »

You can salvage Capcom B-21 custom chips from broken Cps2 "A" boards.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

I have a SF Zero CPS Changer here for repair from a fellow forum member which does exactly that and it's a issue of poor contact on the C to B board connectors. Wiggling the C board makes the issue go away. I'd suggest you try some contact cleaner and test wiggling the connectors before assuming the B chip is bad.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

leonardoliveira wrote:I have a SF Zero CPS Changer here for repair from a fellow forum member which does exactly that and it's a issue of poor contact on the C to B board connectors. Wiggling the C board makes the issue go away. I'd suggest you try some contact cleaner and test wiggling the connectors before assuming the B chip is bad.
I did try that too. Applying pressure in different areas, gently flexing the board, wiggling the c board. Where do you suggest applying contact cleaner? Again, the issue goes away with the known good c board, which would be the same contacts, unless you think shooting some in the female connectors of the questionable c board is a good idea.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

Yes I was talking of the female connectors at the C board. Well it's just to make sure the B-21 chip is innocent. lol

If it isn't the only way of repair is actually replace it.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

leonardoliveira wrote:Yes I was talking of the female connectors at the C board. Well it's just to make sure the B-21 chip is innocent. lol

If it isn't the only way of repair is actually replace it.
Yeah that's my fear. Well, I do have a CPS2 A board that I've never gotten around to repairing...with of course similar graphical issues. Could be swapping bad for bad? Does the CPS-B-21 on the CPS2 A boards serve the same purpose as it does on the CPS1 C boards?
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

CPS2 has a new sprites system so the sprites hardware on A-01 and B-21 go unused. CPS2 still uses the CPS1 scroll layers (that's the reason why a CPS2 has these chips in it, btw).
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

leonardoliveira wrote:CPS2 has a new sprites system so the sprites hardware on A-01 and B-21 go unused. CPS2 still uses the CPS1 scroll layers (that's the reason why a CPS2 has these chips in it, btw).
So in theory, if I have sprites issues on the cps2 A board, that is not a disqualifier for ising the b-21 out of it as a replacement on the C board?
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

NoAffinity wrote:
leonardoliveira wrote:CPS2 has a new sprites system so the sprites hardware on A-01 and B-21 go unused. CPS2 still uses the CPS1 scroll layers (that's the reason why a CPS2 has these chips in it, btw).
So in theory, if I have sprites issues on the cps2 A board, that is not a disqualifier for ising the b-21 out of it as a replacement on the C board?
Pretty much that. But considering the chip you have right now on the CPS1 is having palette issues, I'd say it will have these color problems on the CPS2 too. :lol:
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Just to be clear, I'm taking the b-21 off the cps2 A board and using it on the cps1 C board. The sprite issues currently on the A board wouldn't preclude use of the A board b-21? I.e. don't waste my time because their are sprite issues on the A board so it will just produce sprite issues on the C board once it is transplanted from A board to C board?
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

Like I said, by exclusion(CPS1 chips are used only for the scroll layers), the sprite stuff on the CPS2 is implemented on the newer chips (SPB, DRC and the 1MB of EDO RAM near them)
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I finally got all the pieces of the puzzle together and am super psyched to report that I have repaired this board.

Got a hot air rework station for Christmas, and finally (as of today) figured out how to use it properly without destroying things. :palm:

Found some CPS-B-21's in the wild, manufacture date of 1996.

Went very slowly on the resoldering (and repairing lifted traces :palm: :palm: ).

Voila!

Thanks leonardo, as always you are an infinite wealth of CPS knowledge. Thank you to Arcade Hacker for suggesting that replacement chips can potentially be found in the wild. And lastly, thanks to Caius (not sure if he's on these forums), who posted some time ago about desoldering CPS components with hot air set to 370C. I undoubtedly cooked the donor CPS2 A board that the first donor CPS-B-21 came off of but didn't fix it (actually made it worse). :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: Oh well, all part of the learning curve. Fortunately, the donor A board already had issues.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Awesome! Well done, NoAffinity! :)