Total votes: 46
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: Regarding your collections

Post by SuperPang »

Buy an Xbox :awe:

I have PCBs in my cupboards that haven't been played for years, literally, however I have been through the list and had a cull on many an occasion. As much as the cash would come in handy (and in many cases I'd turn a profit), I just can't bear to part with anything else. It's all killer, no filler in my opinion and if I go another year without playing Gunbird 2, so be it, because I will want it back in a cab one day and I really can't be bothered buying a title back unless there's some serious devaluation happening as it sits there.

What was the question? :D
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

You know my thoughts on this :D

But seriously - price != value. Don't succomb to the "ooh shiny" sickness with games.

I see little point in selling stuff you really love just to buy something else, unless you truly feel you're never likely to play it again.

Being fussy is where it's at :awe:
ilazul
Please Continue...

Post by ilazul »

kernow wrote:
do you prefer a tiny selection of stuff that is maybe more expensive per item, and you want to get really good at before selling it and moving on?
That's pretty much me, I know I have a larger collection of cabs, but I hardly ever swap the games out. I'd rather save up for a game I really love rather than a few that I just like here and there. Third Strike, CvS2, MvC2, Ikaruga, and Pro Gear have never left their cabs. Guwange only comes out for ESPrade, and my neo games never move.

I sold a bunch of older stuff to get Ikaruga, and I saved up for months to get Galuda II and Ibara Kuro. I don't like "hoarding" games, and if I have something I don't use I'll sell it to someone who would. If I don't use something for 2 or 3 months it goes up for sale.

Now I do keep a few games (like 3 or 4) that I don't really play but keep around for when I have people over (stuff like windjammers)
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

get a few uber-games and swap on the rare occasion.....i like to focus, and i also cant afford to sit on really expensive games if im not playing them

i have 3 cave games(ketsui,mushi, galuda) ketsui and galuda get swapped between 1 cab, and mushi pretty much sits in the other cab unless i borrow futari

i have a few puzzle games and a mame setup for the versus cab....

i usually have mr driller g or uo poko iin the versus unless people come over and then i throw the mame in it.....

i like having a lean collection.....
on the loose
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Hardly sprawling, but I've got a fair amount of games some of which of have never been played / played very little.

I sold a lot of stuff, some I really should have kept (like MMP). There are some games I don't miss or ever intend on replacing and there are still some games that intend to move on when I clear them

sometimes more is better :)
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

Yeah my collection is pretty much always in a changing state lol

I keep a few "cornerstone" games but the rest I swap out on a pretty regular basis. When I get bored with a game I don't even think twice about selling... especially if there's something expensive I'm after. My philosophy when it comes to games is if I don't play it on a semi regular basis (at least once every 2 weeks), I won't miss it. And, in the event I sell something and DO miss it, there's always another one for sale. I'm yet to encounter a game that I really regretted selling because I can't find it again.
niconiconico
Please Continue...
Initials: AAA

Post by niconiconico »

"A smaller, more concentrated collection of quality games"

Before, i was buying a lot of everything : AW, MVS, CPS, PGM, NAOMI, PCB's ... and i wanted to have a "collection" of good arcade games.

But, finally i wasn't playing them as much as i should so ---> for sale.

Today i am much more focused and i can easily list 30-40 games that i REALLY like and play ... the other stuff (even if there's good titles) bye bye, and the console ports are enough for me, as the emulation.

If i have to rebuild a gaming config, it would be with a DC, a 360, a Triforce v2 system (VS4 :awe:), a PS2 ... and that's all. But in fact, the real problem is the size of all these things, so i thought about that and my own conclusion is :

- 2 NAOMI Universal Cab. with Nanao MS32 for the 31kHz in yoko, and the other one in tate
- 1 Egret II for the same but in 15kHz
- 1 PC, with PCSX2 (PS2, approx. 20 games), NullDC (Dreamcast and NAOMI, approx. 15 games), M.A.M.E. (MVS, CPS 1-2-3, M72, M82, PGM, Seibu SPI, Cave, Toaplan, Raizing, and few few others ... approx. 70-80 games max which is already enormous)
- 1 Triforce system v.2
- 1 japanese 360

Since 2 years, it's my ideal config, but i was never able to apply it, and i will maybe never able to apply it :mrgreen:
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

lolz...i would think of a collection of under 10 games "small".....you have over 80 games and that is small to you :wtf:

yikes....i would love to see what you had before you 'slimmed down' :awe:
on the loose
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

If I have to choose between owning ESPGALUDA or ESPGALUDA II, I would go with ESPGALUDA. You will be sorely disappointed if you do this, Kernow. It's too much of a shore to play. I had a ESPGALUDA II for loan, and I gave up on it the first day. Perhaps I would have put more time into it if it was MINE, but I really don't think so.

I'm currently trimming my own collection (just sold Psy-Chonics OSCAR today) and will only keep games I know I will come back to.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

kernow wrote:I am borrowing it at the moment from markedkiller and I do like it, but its a lot harder, I think that'd extend the longevity mind you though. I do think you're right and I'll probably just keep more games like DDP and the galuda 1.
Apparently, ESPGALUDA II is a real pain if you plan on taking it to a "higher level" of scoring, due to it's somewhat random Kakusei 2 mode. The first on the other hand can be played for kicks and be lots of fun, and for score and be much harder, but still lots of fun. Myself, I'm gonna sell off some dust gatherers and get myself a Battle Garegga PCB instead now that I've tasted the "forbidden fruit" that is Raizing in MAME for the last two weeks.
niconiconico
Please Continue...

Post by niconiconico »

jonny5 wrote:lolz...i would think of a collection of under 10 games "small".....you have over 80 games and that is small to you :wtf:

yikes....i would love to see what you had before you 'slimmed down' :awe:
Lol, i agree 80 games it's not nothing, but compared to some who d/l the full set MAME, i am a maiden compared to these thousand and thousand games :twisted:

Mmm well, before, i had :

- 1 Astro Cab with MS9 screen and C3129A on it + another Astro (sold quite fast)
- 2 NAOMI systems (NAOMI 2 GD NET 3.17 and NAOMI 1 GD) + 6/7 games + SEGA V2 Converter + I/O Board rev.A (still have this one) + Sanwa JVS power supply (still have it too)
- 1 Atomiswave system + 4/5 games
- 1 MVS 6 slots + 1 MVS 2 slots (2x) + 20 something games
- 1 PGM system + 2-3 games
- 1 ST-V system + 2-3 games
- all consoles to JAMMA converters (Dreamcast, PS2, Saturn)
- 4-5 CPS games + 1 mobo
- 2 Neo Geo AES + 5-6 games
- 2 Cave PCB's (both sold quite fast ... way too expensive)
- 1 Super Neo 29 (i still have it as the chassis is broken :evil: i will certainly bring it to UK and put a Trinitron into it)
- 1 Samsung AW SD screen (i still have it as the M3129D chassis is broken, i have to replace it with a M series as the connectors are not the same with the C series :evil:)

... ok not all in once, as it costs a bit of money and i wasn't living on gold. I doesn't look massive like that, but added with a looooooooooot of console stuff, it's massive, and i was again looking for a loooot of games :mrgreen:

Today i consider myself as a ... "player" :mrgreen:
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

im a specialized collector to say the least, been collecting for about a decade and gone thru many phases to get where i am today, had +1500 videogames and +1000 PCBs at my peak, now im down to maybe 150 videogames and just shy of 100 PCBs.. all good stuff anyone would concider keepers in their own collection.

i try to play all my games but yeah, shmups require alot of attention to be played "properly" so offcourse if Futari BL stays in a cab 6months straight that means a whole bunch of other games get zero playtime during that period.

i have a PS3 for casual play, shmups simply dont work that way, imo it is impossible to get the proper enjoyment out of any CAVE game if you keep swapping games every few credits.
stuff like 6 slot mobos are great for buisness but terrible for private enjoyment i think, but i guess its also a matter of how serious you are about your playing.
niconiconico
Please Continue...

Post by niconiconico »

sven666 wrote:... shmups require alot of attention to be played "properly" so offcourse if Futari BL stays in a cab 6months straight that means a whole bunch of other games get zero playtime during that period.

+ 1

When i had my Caves (but any shooter played seriously is like that, as it's a kind of game for ONE person only, not versus), i was ONLY on it, ONLY ... the rest took the dust.
tony starks
Please Continue...
eBay: tone_starks
Initials: III

Post by tony starks »

It really depends on the games, like for example the Neo Geo library is mainly made up of fighters which can easily be trimed down to a few great titles. Another anoying thing is the nostalgia factor which tends to effect people a lot when it comes to finding reasons not to be able to trim down a collection. A small concise collection would be the smartest thing to do but the question is how small is small? ;) :awe:
Starks is always out.
tony starks
Please Continue...
eBay: tone_starks
Initials: III

Post by tony starks »

kernow wrote:True, its mainly nostalgia stopping me selling a fair few games really.
Exactamundo my friend, oh yeah I am gonna post the guide later on today yo :awe:
I'll hit you up when it has been posted :awe:
Starks is always out.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

My collection isn't exactly vast:

Some of those boxes are empty now as well, as I'm slowly selling some of these treasures off. :awe:
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Post by Akuma »

god, I hope one day, I will become as tidy and organized like this... but I am afraid, I never will :(
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

As with everything I get into, I started out buying loads of pcb's :oops:
After installing a mame setup on my AWSD, i realised that I only ever play a handful of games so I intend on selling off most my pcb's and keeping the 3-4 which I play the most of. (Mainly the Raiden series and Donkey Kong!)

I have yet to play any of the newish Cave stuff, and given that I love the shooters, getting one that everyone recommends will be my next big purchase.

Already sold all the Neo Geo MVS stuff. Watch the private sales over the weekend for some classic PCB's... Less is definitely more imo.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

emphatic wrote:the "forbidden fruit" that is Raizing
:awe:
Shady994
Please Continue...
eBay: lmstolton
Initials: SDY

Post by Shady994 »

I'm leaning towards having a smaller, focused collection. I'll probably stick to buying stuff I really want, rather than lots of stuff I'm not so bothered about. Simply because I'm prone to 'collector syndrome' and will go crazy buying loads of PCBs if I let myself. :x
Space and wife are also factors here ;)