Your first arcade game played/or the one that got you hooked

Coin-operated games and arcades.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Your first arcade game played/or the one that got you hooked

Post by geotrig »

alright so we're nearly all fans of arcade games ,sorry ds :lol: so what was the first game you ever played or the one that got you hooked/converted to arcade gameing ......also if you want to tell what the first arcade game you bought it could be interesting shamefull !!!

trying to think of this recently i think it was either afterburner or caveman ninja's i think it or street fighter , memories abit muddled these days ,but if i do the maths i really think it was afterburner at the time it was really expensive for a go in the simulator but it was great!!!

on first game bought svc chaos :? still okish but could have been far better :awe:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
ilazul
Please Continue...

Re: Your first arcade game played/or the one that got you hooked

Post by ilazul »

Street Fighter II, Ms. Pac-Man and Raiden II got me hooked to arcades.

First was probably Street Fighter II

The first one I actually bought was a crappy Marvel Super Heroes on a beat up dynamo with a few friends. But I don't know if that counts, it was from some laundry place that went under. And it only worked for like a week.

The first game I bought for my personal collection was Garou: Mark of the Wolves. Had to have it.

:awe:
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

First arcade game that got me proper hooked was Flying Shark (though I'd played various other games before that - Pacman, Galaxians, Green Beret, Star Wars, Knuckle Joe to name a few), and then the next arcade game I really got into was Speed Rumbler. After that, it was probably Street Fighter II (the rest of the time I was playing games on home computers - the Amstrad CPC464, then the Amiga).

First game PCB I bought was Double Dragon and Final Fight (Thanks Pete!), but that was only about 3 years ago - a couple of days after I bought my first cab - a Konami Windy.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

My first arcade experiences for me are mostly fuzzy memories. Growing up I had a mini-golf with a nice gameroom pretty close to home. We went there at least 5 times a year. From what I can remember, this is what stands out the most from my childhood

World Heroes 2... specifically the magician dude w/ the giant hands grab
Mortal Kombat one, I remember crouds of teen agers around the one machine in the place. They'd all go bananas when someone did a fatality lol
Primal Rage - Who can forget the whizzing fatality lol
Street Fighter 2 - Ryu would kick my **** every time, just by throwing fireballs. BLOCKING was too much for my young mind to grasp hahha

Ahh the good ole days.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

Like capcomguru above, I have trouble recalling the very first arcade game that I played. In all honesty, I can't remember at all as I was probably around five or six. I'll list the games I played as a teenager that still spring to mind.

I remember frequenting the arcades during my holidays in Greece in the first half of the 90s where I played Street Fighter II, Bells & Whistles, Puyo Puyo, Astérix, Sega Tetris (1988 release) and a few others which have since escaped my memory. In my local arcade (Sega World, long since gone) over the next few years, I played the likes of Bubble Bobble, NBA Jam, SSF2, SSF2 Turbo, Virtua Racing, Manx TT, Tekken, Tekken 2, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Jurassic Park, The House of the Dead 2, Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi...

The game which got me interested was Street Fighter II, and Super Street Fighter II was the one which cemented this interest further.

The first game in my collection was/is Super Turbo. I bought the board before I had any means of hooking it up and playing it. Fortunately for me, it didn't suicide during the time it sat dormant. :awe:
ImageImageImageImage
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

capcomguru wrote:Primal Rage - Who can forget the whizzing fatality lol
:? me !!! played that a good bit at one time forgot there was fatalities in it though!!
so far the first bought games are not as bad as i thought they could be , when your normally new to a scene you rush right in and get something

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

First Game: Knuckle Joe
First love: Flying Shark
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

capcomguru wrote:World Heroes 2... specifically the magician dude w/ the giant hands grab
Rasputin. More importantly... SHARK ATTACK!

I knew a friend that named his convenience store WH2 after this game :P
emphatic wrote:First Game: Knuckle Joe
First love: Flying Shark
Excellent titles, sir.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

Space Invaders and then Defender which still frightens me to this day. :shock:
tel
Please Continue...

Post by tel »

I think Asteroids was the first game I got into, I have vague memories of playing it a on a cocktail cab when I was about 6. That then led to me convicing my folks to buy me an Atari 2600, on which Asteroids was my favourite game.

First arcade game bought was either Blazing Star or Last Blade 2, I'm not sure which.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

Space Invaders was the first game I played, but Kung Fu Master was probably the one that sealed my addiction, along with ASO/Alpha Mission (which I am still after today if anyone has the board :))
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

First thing I can remember playing is a Space Invaders cocktail when we were on holiday in blackpool (woot!), I think I would have been about seven or so.

After that the only real time I got to see any arcades regually was when we went swimming and they always had a machine which I guess was changed every three months or so. The main games I can remember playing there were Street Fighter 2, Centipede, P.O.W., Guerrilla War (awesome game with those rotary SNK LS-30s).

The only other time I got any exposure was when we went on holiday to the same place in Pentewan (Cornwall). They had an awesome little arcade there and I used to love going every year and spending pretty much all of my holiday money there. They had some great games I remember playing like Ivan Ironman Stewart's Super Off Road, Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, Sunset Riders, Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa, Hard Drivin, Super Hang on, Space Harrier, Pacland, Operation Thunderbolt and a few more I can't remember. The one machine that took most of my hard earned 20p's was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. I frigging loved that game but they had the thing set on no continue so I could only ever get up to Slice at the end of stage 4 on one credit. I actually managed to buy the board a couple of weeks ago and I'm eventually going to build a cabinet for it. It was only ever released as a convertion kit so I'm going to build a 15khz cabinet as if it had been a dedicated cab with full sideart, CPO marquee etc.

I only actually bought my 1st arcade hardwarde about 5 months ago and that was a Jamma woody with Carrier Airwing and Tumblepop in it with a Jamma switcher. The switcher etc seems to have been factory installed and I have never seen a Jamma setup in an arcade with a CP mounted button to swap between the games. Anyone else?
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

When I was young I lived in the US in Florida and most small town back then had an arcade etc.

My friend and I used to go in there when his or my Mum when shopping in the supermarket and gave use like 2 dollars each.

I remember alway being attracted to the ARMY style games like Contra and Ikari Warriors or anything that had guys fighting in it like Double Dragon and Renagade! :D

Was never any good at them but me and my friend just liked to play the games you could both play together.

I remember after that we went to the 'Mall' and there was a large arcade there with Street Fighter in, and always remember there being 'bigger kids' around it everytime I went, so I never played it as I was too scared to go up there on my own! :D hahaha

After that, we had a place like a 'Fun Spot' that I sometimes went if I was good, that had LOADS of Arcades, bowling, crazy golf and pool tables etc but I always used to play for the 'tokens' to get the **** prizes that gave like a kyring of a comb :( :awe:
LOL Cats... stupid cats
yetterben
Please Continue...

Post by yetterben »

First hook.....Dragons Lair. First machine bought Dragons lair :lol:
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

Just remembered another couple, which predate the games I mentioned in my post above.

Operation Wolf and Final Fight.

Not entirely sure if they were my first and second, but they can't be far off...
ImageImageImageImage
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

idc wrote:Operation Wolf
Ooh, that reminds me. Must admit I got much more into Operation Thunderbolt than Operation Wolf (I was probably a few inches taller by then :P). Loved the full-sized UZI on the cab!
Kaire
Please Continue...
eBay: lady_kaiulani
Initials: CMB

Post by Kaire »

Don't make fun of me but I really liked the scary ones when I was a kid. These ones got me hooked:
Alter Beast & Rastan! Alter Beast always scared me because it was so loud at the arcade and I would run away from it once
I was done playing LOL. Rastan had really good music and I think it was only arcade side-scroller I almost beat.
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

street fighter 2.....there were earlier games too, but street fighter 2 turned me into a quarter stealing junky

i used to wear a quarter on a string around my neck when i was a kid :awe:
on the loose
Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

My local pub was where I got into arcade gaming. It used rotate on a monthly basis.

Some of the games

Track & Field
Vanguard
Quaser (crap)
Phoenix
Galaxians

The first game I got hooked on was 10 Yard Fight. Never had it at a local arcade or the pub but I used to go to London just to play it.
Flazh

Post by Flazh »

The one arcade game I always played as a kid, without a doubt SFII. I used to love playing shmups on any machine I found, whether it was in pubs or camp sites (Twinbee and Gradius are ones I distinctly remember, as well as good old reliable Space Invaders and Galaxian!)

Man, video gaming was so much better when I was a kid :( If only I'd been born 10 years earlier I could probably have appreciated it when it was at the top of its game (and the Dreamcast would have just come out at this point in my life!)