The King of Fighters xx

Coin-operated games and arcades.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

The King of Fighters xx

Post by John James Pacinelli »

Which one is the best and why (technically speaking)? I'm gonna buy a kof MVS next month and I need some advice.
Vagina
Mayhem
eBay: Mayhem_SWE

Re: The King of Fighters xx

Post by Mayhem »

Most people prefer '98 with probably 2002 coming in second place. I haven't played the series extensively myself, but do find 2002 a bit more playable due to less stupidly impossible move commands. Music and backgrounds are much worse than '98 though IMHO so would probably recommend the latter overall.
Once I start I cannot stop myself
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Cheers Mayhem

Yes, actually according to the info I have gathered so far, ppl seem to like 98 better. Apart from graphics, what makes it the best KOF? Technically speaking I mean.
Vagina
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

KOF98 it is.

Cheers guys.
Vagina
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Interesting.
Vagina
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

John James Pacinelli wrote:KOF98 it is
Its been remade how many times now? For all the little tweaks they made on 98 on the MVS is by far the best option to get you started. After that you cant go too far wrong on 2002 since thats got some good characters in it Like K and Klua 2003 introduces some of the MOTW cast. If you dont have Garou, Mark of the Wolves get that as its difrent to KOF series but not too difrent to make it an entirley difrent game. It feels like its the sexy cross breed of Alpha3 and KOF.

You say your buying a few MVS next month so other good fighters for the system would be The samurai Spirits series (get number 2 its cheap and fantastic) and for something a little difrent try last blade one or two (both are good, people who play it a lot say one is better but for getting in to it either or would be great)

Rage of dragons and or Power instinct matramelee 2 should be last on your list. there both a little more expensive than the majority of Samurai spirits, KOF and Last Blade but IMO there not as good they are there own games though with very difrent elements to say KOF or SF3.3.

so if i was going to buy some MVS tomorow it would be

King of fighter 98, Samurai showdown 2
if i had cash left over from that I would get
garou mark of wolves, Last blade 2, KOF 2002

in that order.
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress
Neo'nate
eBay: fleebay
Initials: NJP

Post by Neo'nate »

to be honest if you want a fighter on MVS, as Lordstar mentioned (albiet briefly) it has to be Last Blade 2. :D
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

kernow wrote:
Lordstar wrote: Its been remade how many times now?
uhm once? :awe:
I thought it had another tweak coming out or had came out?
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

Neo'nate wrote:to be honest if you want a fighter on MVS, as Lordstar mentioned (albiet briefly) it has to be Last Blade 2. :D
I could go on about it.
three attack buttons the 4th is a parry button which is so much fun :awe:
its set in the time when westerners were coming to JP en masse and it really is just a special game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHVYUlaR ... re=related"
you also have the coice of power or speed which changes things a little.

I play a good Lee speed and a good Amano power.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

They didn't really improve on the first imo. But LB2 is worth buying for the burning house alone. Still impresses me every time.
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

kernow wrote:LB2 is indeed great, but I prefer the first by quite a bit,
I just dont see why the first is better than the second, I know its just me because everyone sees it. I know Lee feels different in number one than two
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

I always found Last Blade 2 a bit weak and thin compared to 1,

As for KOF, 98 is my favourite of the series but 2002 is probably the best, 2002 is the only KOF still played in every arcade in Hong Kong.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Guys, cheers for the feedbacks. To be totally honest with you I own all the KOF (Saturn/Dreamcast), and all the fighting game that you mentioned. When I bought them I was very busy with my job (plus some personal problems) and basically I just did not have enough time to play them (little time I had, I used it to play SF :awe: ). Now I am in a period of my life where I have the chance to start over again (and a new Astro) and I wanna focus on few selected quality fighting games. That's my plan for next month:

Will buy:
KOF 98 MVS
KOF 2002 Dreamcast

If I like them I will buy KOF 98 DC and KOF 2002 MVS to close the circle.
Vagina
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

BTW the reason I would buy the DC versions again is because I have relocated to Asia.
Vagina
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

So it's been a while. In the meantime I have bought KOF98 unlimited match (PS2), KOF98 (Dreamcast), KOF2002 (Dreamcast) and even tried out the NG rom.

As much as I hate PS2 hardware, I literally fell in love with KOF 98 Unlimited Match, can't stop playing it. I deem it to be the best KOF game so far.

Played KOFXII the other day and -as far as gameplay is concerned- KOF98 >>>>>>>>>>>KOFXII
Vagina
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

I bought KOF 2002 UM last week, have you tried it yet? well worth picking up so many characters...
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

thegreathopper wrote:I bought KOF 2002 UM last week, have you tried it yet? well worth picking up so many characters...

I went to buy it but it was out of stock. Then I noticed KOF98UM was available and I bought it. I am now very happy with it.

Besides KOF98 cost 30 dollars whereas KOF2002 cost 100 dollars :awe: .
Yes KOF is big deal in Asia. Every single arcade here has KOF98 (both regular and UM) and KOF2002 and they are VERY popular, there is always ppl playing. I couldn't say the same about ST...
Vagina
Neo'nate
eBay: fleebay
Initials: NJP

Post by Neo'nate »

I could never really get into the KOF series until playing KOF XI on atomiswave, I cant stop playing it, and it might well be the best fighter on the system . .. :think:
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Neo'nate wrote:I could never really get into the KOF series until playing KOF XI on atomiswave
Speaking of that, I have recently gotten myself KOF NeoWave as well. This game went kinda unnoticed but I deem it very good:

IMO:
1)98
2)2002
3)NW
Last edited by John James Pacinelli on April 29th, 2009, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vagina
Andreas
Please Continue...

Post by Andreas »

There is no "better" fighting game on mvs that kof98. It's the most balanced and technical game you can get. But imho it has no style. It's just for beat'm'up tournament and combo nerds. If you are not interested in hours of learning combos like "lk, lk, lp, dash, lp, hp", go and give garou and last blade 2 a chance ;-)