poolchamp

Re: the official street fighter 2 appreciation thread

Post by poolchamp »

you cheat k no wonder arcades are dead it s you
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

I was young. I was in France. Then, in a sordid french coffee bar all of a sudden I see it: a fat sumo wrestler is grinding his penis on what seems to be an homosexual US soldier. The world for me would never be the same. This is MY game, I just love it. As said before, my only regret is that after so many years its getting too easy. If played with a friend this game is infinite.
Too bad I'm a sociopath :awe:

Online SFCE for xbox sux big time!
Vagina
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

my first street fighter two exprience was in Hong kong and it was amazying. For a start it was a tiny arcade with only about 15 machines but they had two world warrior machines. it was three HK$ to play over the usual 2 HK$ for every other game. but it was worth it. I got my first few moves taught to me by this 14 year old chinese guy who I thought was god at the time since he could pull off moves quite well. goooood times
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

The intro is racist :awe:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I didn't play the arcade game until years after the SNES port.

But for an unknown amount of time (I couldn't say exactly how long) the SNES one, followed by an import Turbo, was the only game my friends and I would play. Daily trek up the hill to a mates house, then 5 hours of solid play, winner stays on. We went through controllers like no tomorrow. I struggle to play it on any other controller (an arcade stick being the exception) because the SNES pad is so ingrained.

Incredible game. My personal preference is for Turbo - I'm still hunting a World version Turbo PCB again after I sold one I got from a guy in New Zealand ten years or so ago.
innerpattern
Please Continue...

Post by innerpattern »

The coolest arcade game in the world! I remember the huge lines at the arcade for this. The first time I saw Turbo in action was something I'll never forget. Then mortal kombat 2 came out and everyone went OMGZ! FATALITIES!?ZLOL. That stole the limelight for awhile but in hindsight...SF has aged much much better than MK.
innerpattern
Please Continue...

Post by innerpattern »

John James Pacinelli wrote:I was young. I was in France. Then, in a sordid french coffee bar all of a sudden I see it: a fat sumo wrestler is grinding his penis on what seems to be an homosexual US soldier. The world for me would never be the same. This is MY game, I just love it.
we all have our reasons for liking the game :awe:
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Lordstar wrote:my first street fighter two exprience was in Hong kong
SF in HK... that is SO cool.

I mainly played CE in the arcade. To this day, when I see the intro screen of CE I literally feel my heart beating.

CE is popular in Singapore. Could not find any SFII Hyper Fighting here. That's weird.
Vagina
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

Irmscher wrote:The intro is racist :awe:
i recall watching the intro and being in awe of it and thinking to myself I WANT TO BE THE GUY WHO JUST PUNCHED THE OTHER DUDE! gutted that he was only in the intro though.

I have a Super 2 new challengers coming in the post any day now and I also have X2 coming in a week or so. I think i will be all street fighter'd out tu tha max :awe:
John James Pacinelli wrote:
Lordstar wrote:my first street fighter two exprience was in Hong kong
SF in HK... that is SO cool.

I mainly played CE in the arcade. To this day, when I see the intro screen of CE I literally feel my heart beating.

CE is popular in Singapore. Could not find any SFII Hyper Fighting here. That's weird.
First timeI played CE was on a Megalo2 I went bison and it was AWESOME! I recall thinking WAHHHH BIG **** SCREEN!
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

The purists here in SEA think that the "real" SF is the CE version. They consider the hyper fighting version non "authentic". I love CE but its just too slow.
Vagina
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

If somebody out there thinks he's able to tweak SFII Hyper Fighting AI and make it more difficult please let me know (will pay for that). I am serious indeed. Can we start an official thread? I'm asking the moderators to get official permission on this.

STREET FIGHTER II HYPER FIGHTING TURBO PROFESSIONAL - THE OFFICIAL PROJECT
Vagina
j69

Post by j69 »

It was in Palma Nova in 1993 or 1994, in an arcade by the beach. I remember seeing older lads doing ryus specials and not having a clue how to do them, I was only 11 i think. Still my favourite game to this day

I sold it last year when I was skint but I keep an eye put on ebay to try and snag a cheap one
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

I first heard about it on the train from a schoolmate (I was 14 or 15 - I forget) who was telling me about this game he'd played in our local videogame shop (Computer Cavern, Harris Arcade, Reading) where a guy in pyjamas cries out "ARE YOU KEN?" when he does a big punch, and some indian dude with stretchy arms who likes saying "Yogaaa!" - sounded weird.

I went to go see it a day later, played a credit (Chun Li), and ended up going every day after school for quite some time (usual lineup was me as Chun Li versus another mate as Blanka - I usually won), then I discovered the cheapness that is Ken & Ryu and started playing Ryu (Ken was just too gay for me). Never looked back since. My favourite at the time was Turbo (I'd played Champion of Champion edition bootleg at a local greengrocers which was good for the lulz, but a **** game), but a year or two ago I got into Super SF2X - much better than I remember from back in the day (I didn't like the Super series when it first came out).

I eventually ended up buying the SNES version of SF2T on UK release day, along with a £50 arcade-ish Snes stick (pretty crappy looking back, but better than D-pad). I seem to recall it was stupidly expensive (£70? £80?). Worth every penny.

Hated Mortal Kombat, but really got into a pre-release version of MK2 at my local bowling alley (only a few of the fatalities were coded, ther was no Shao Khan, and the AI for Kintaro was b0rked, plus the computer Raiden was cheap as **** and would do infinite chain throws :/). I bought this on the SNES the day before release (naughty!). It was a good port.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

i was in to everyhting you said chi until you started talking about MK. I enjoyed playing it a bit but I only bought MK3 on the PC and I hated it since then. MK1 has not survived well at all as where games like Sam Sho and Street fighter 2 are still very playable now. cant even look at fatal fury but the early KOF are great.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

MK2 on the Amiga was surprisingly good, I got a lot of mileage out of it. It lent itself well to the slimmed down controls - if anything it was improved because of them. The disk swapping and loading wasn't too bad either.

SF2 on the Amiga was a total crapfest in comparison.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

I'm gonna be a bit controversial here, but I don't think Street Fighter II: World Warriors has aged particularly well at all - it was a classic when first released (revolutionary, in fact), but going back and playing it now, I see all the flaws. SFII'CE and SFII'HF, SSFII'X sure thing... just not the original one.
Lordstar wrote:i was in to everyhting you said chi until you started talking about MK. I enjoyed playing it a bit but I only bought MK3 on the PC and I hated it since then. MK1 has not survived well at all as where games like Sam Sho and Street fighter 2 are still very playable now. cant even look at fatal fury but the early KOF are great.
MK1 has aged badly (I never enjoyed it in the first place - the graphics were a real put off, and it was all just OMG GORE!!1!). MK3 wasn't good at all (robot ninjas? Fatalties that blow up the earth? wtfkthxbye) - what is with the Killer Instinct-style button mashing combos? MK2, however, I quite liked (not too fussed on it nowadays - I certainly haven't bought it on PCB yet, and probably won't). Reasonably balanced, lots of hidden stuff to uncover, and I met many good friends in my local bowling alley through playing it.

Sam Sho - that's an interesting one - still a fun game to play (I much prefer it to the sequels), I don't think it has aged as well as Last Blade (or better still LB2 - fantastic game!). I must admit to being partial to a bit of Ninja Masters, if we are talking MVS fighters :p Oh, and KOF94. Niiice. Fatal fury and Art Of Fighting never did it for me, I must admit. I guess it is a taste thing.

Waitwhat, there was a release of MK2 for the Amiga...? Oh dear, that doesn't sound good...
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

cools wrote:SF2 on the Amiga was a total crapfest in comparison.
Ha! Ha! You are so right. Was it another US gold shait?
Vagina
Alec
Please Continue...

Post by Alec »

love street fighter 2. i remember when world warrior first came out the lines were insane. then when i first saw championship edition i thought it was a secret code or something haha.

totally love my green super x.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

John James Pacinelli wrote:
cools wrote:SF2 on the Amiga was a total crapfest in comparison.
Ha! Ha! You are so right. Was it another US gold shait?
Yup.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

US Gold... God I hated them so much...
Vagina