Which is the best Metal Slug?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Re: The current scene for a returner

Post by ChrisBEANS »

kernow wrote: January 27th, 2023, 11:33 pm Once I 1cc'd ms1 I never wanted to play that game again

Personally couldn't think of anything less enjoyable than trying to 1cc ms3 🙈
Love it!! I’ve barely played 3 because I don’t want to ‘spoil’ bits until I get there.
I can 1cc 1& 2 and very nearly X, so 3’s not far off and I can’t wait!!
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

I can't even make it through Metal Slug 3 credit feeding it as I get so annoyed with how long it's going on, let alone trying to 1CC the thing.

And this is coming from a massive fan of all the preceding games.

There's just too much content there for the sake of it, game needed heavy editing.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Again, not really played it… but isn’t it widely regarded as the best MS?

So far my fave is 2. Objectively better than 1 (although the RNG final boss is annoying as balls), and more focussed and less wacky than X.

I understand 4 sucks, but I also hear/read that 5 is a return to form?
MrSandman
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Post by MrSandman »

From my casual, i.e. not 1cc, point of view 1-3 are best. Played them on PSP but never liked any of the 4-6 of the collection. 2 has some slow-downs (1st boss), but X's colors are odd. I remember 3 to be already more challenging from the beginning than 1 or 2.
"Hans, I've just noticed something."
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

X
Getting kicked in the balls
Metal Slug 3D
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

the face kern the face always :lol: im **** at ms but find x a balls to play ,never bothered with 4,5,6

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

3, 1, 2, X for me. But I accept that 1 is a better game, but I just love how there is everything and the kitchen sink in 3. Also if you are playing co-op then X > 2 for obvious reasons ---- Although I have yet to play the 'fixed' 2.

4 is not great, but it's not awful but clearly in a different league to the first 3.

The initial part of the opening stage of 5, I though was going to be epic, as the forest looks gorgeous, then it just went to bleugh, the first boss looks horrid.

I can't even remember 6.
Neo'nate
eBay: fleebay
Initials: NJP

Post by Neo'nate »

bloodhokuto wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:56 am 3, 1, 2, X for me. But I accept that 1 is a better game, but I just love how there is everything and the kitchen sink in 3. Also if you are playing co-op then X > 2 for obvious reasons ---- Although I have yet to play the 'fixed' 2.

4 is not great, but it's not awful but clearly in a different league to the first 3.

The initial part of the opening stage of 5, I though was going to be epic, as the forest looks gorgeous, then it just went to bleugh, the first boss looks horrid.

I can't even remember 6.
It seems like a total thread hijack at this stage but you need to wash your mouth out with that last comment :lol: ;)

Metal Slug 6 on AW is one of the best. Honestly, it's balanced and designed to be cleared/1cc'd with skill like MS1 and X. Well worth remembering :awe:
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I've ranked the post SNK slugs based on the effort they put in. 4 is the worst for cut and paste sprites.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

From Rocco's Mikado thread:
Rocco wrote: April 19th, 2022, 10:50 am And this one is great , perfect game play no miss

I'm **** at all of them but could it be argued that MS3 is for the extremely experienced player? I always assumed it was an unfair coin-eater but it is solvable with the correct strategy and weapon management, and the bosses can even be handled quickly.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

2>1>X so far…

2 is bigger, and has a more ‘fun’ aesthetic

Level 2 is great fun with the Egyptian theme and the transforming into a mummy. Great backgrounds and fun boss fight.

Mission 4 is the least fun mission, but ok.

On mission five is where it really comes into its own! Once you enter the subway section, the change of tone, the change in music, the subtle but deliberate difficulty spike.
Plus if you’re looking to 1cc it then you’ve had to no miss the level and manage your stock of grenades so that you’re safe against the trains.
Then the next section introduces the mutant monstery things, with a bunch of dead scientists at the start to set the scene.

Then mission six you get the obligatory Allen fight, then half way through the alien reveal feels like a reward for making it to the final level.

The end boss fight looks and feels absolutely spectacular. Annoying that it’s quite RNG heavy and so I’m just not consistent, but what a brilliant game.

A fun, coherent story progression.

X is basically a remix, and they just Chuck aliens and bigger weapons in all over the shop. It’s fun and all, but less of an experience. Nothing feels like a reward. It’s all just there.

This thread is so far off track now… sorry OP
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

pubjoe wrote: January 31st, 2023, 7:18 pm From Rocco's Mikado thread:
Rocco wrote: April 19th, 2022, 10:50 am And this one is great , perfect game play no miss

I'm **** at all of them but could it be argued that MS3 is for the extremely experienced player? I always assumed it was an unfair coin-eater but it is solvable with the correct strategy and weapon management, and the bosses can even be handled quickly.

My friend is really a “Machine gun” in the whole serie .

He’s more than probably the best Metak Slug player in Spain ( I remember he had serious records near to world records in Japan )
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

Neo'nate wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:23 am
It seems like a total thread hijack at this stage but you need to wash your mouth out with that last comment :lol: ;)

Metal Slug 6 on AW is one of the best. Honestly, it's balanced and designed to be cleared/1cc'd with skill like MS1 and X. Well worth remembering :awe:
Happy to be set straight, I only gave it a quick go on the PS2 (i think) at the time and didnt seem to get swept away by it, may have to look into it again, would be nice to try it on the AW hardware actually.
arcnl

Re: Which is the best Metal Slug?

Post by arcnl »

You can play it on ps2 (or pcsx2) i think?
AxBattler
Initials: MS

Post by AxBattler »

1st one
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

AxBattler wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:18 am1st one

Is there another one? I have it on PS2 and did have it on AW a long time ago but I hated that hardware, could never get a great picture on my cabs.

But what a game, watched some combo videos recently … Wow they were crazy.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

Or you may mean Slug? Yeah the 1st is best.
1up
Initials: jbs

Post by 1up »

For me it's
2>1>X>3>7/XX>6>>>5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4

I love that in 2 they've expanded on the arsenal/weapons and I love the stages and bosses. It is also revealed very late in the game that aliens are involved where as in X it is revealed right away with the UFO in the background. When you first play 2 you thinkg Mordon and his army are up to no good again but everything is turned on its head in stage 5. Only unfortunate thing about 2 is the sprite calculation error causing all the slowdown (turbo version fixes this)

A close 2nd for me is the first game. Straight forward game with awesome music, great graphics and lots of action. Absolute snooze fest to play for score...

X is great but the reason it gets 3rd place is because of the story progression and they just overdid it with all the extra enemies.

Metal Slug 3 would have been higher on my list if it wasn't for that last stage being 50% of the game. Absolute chore to play through. 2nd stage with the zombies is cool and the branching paths and hidden routes is fun to discover.
My YouTube channel
Metal Slug Twin Galaxies WR holder
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

1 I for some reason have an aversion to most sequels ! I do regret selling x ages back though.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

1>2>X>3>6>5>4