Which is the best Metal Slug?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
kazuo

Re: Which is the best Metal Slug?

Post by kazuo »

1 & X for me. I honestly don't understand why everyone goes ga-ga over 3, it's unnecessarily hard and not fun. 4 & 5 just seem like copy-paste titles to me. 6 is okay but Atomiswave looks blurry and it's a little on the hard side for me.
AxBattler
Initials: MS

Post by AxBattler »

1 has the perfect flow. Pure fun from start to finish.

3 is totally overloaded, incredible what they packed in it, some nice bosses (mission 3 robot), routes, slugs, hori & tate stg scenes (like the submarine parts, specially from level 1). Good finish for the series.

The slugs after are just unworthy (4 and 5 are boring, yup copy&paste, also dont like 6, even more ridiculous opponents than in part 5)

1>>>>>>3>2&X for me
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I'm a Metal Slug part-timer. It takes me more than a few continues to complete any of them. The truest fans always seem to rate 3 low. I happily accept the first game is the best but 3 is so impressive to me, from it's big set pieces down to the small details. I know it's a grind but superplays demonstrate how weapon management and boss strategies can degrind the game a lot.

It's beyond me but I'm curious, has anyone ever transitioned from a 3 hater to a lover after putting the work in?
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

I love to moan about Metal Slug 3 but it's still a great game in the grand scheme of things. Just feels like there wasn't an editor in the building for the duration of any of the development and every single idea imaginable someone put forward was included in the game.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Still can’t get a consistent 1cc on MS2, and it’s always on the final boss (and I do occasionally die on the bloody wobbly bridge too :problem: ), but it’s such a great game.

I honestly think people who complain about it just need to actually put some time into it.

Gameplay’s every bit as good as 1, difficulty progression is fair, no cheap deaths, and the whole aesthetic is great fun.

The first phase of the final boss is great too.

My one gripe, is that as much of a spectacle and fitting finale that the second phase of the final boss is, it’s just too RNG heavy.

Still absolutely love it!
landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama »

For me, the order is 3, 2, X, 1. The Playmore era is not of interest
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

1>X>3>2

Bit of law of diminishing returns with each game tbh, though I can't deny the visuals got more insane. The Playmore titles were like copy/paste Unity games
bravojohny
eBay: Cristophorus
Initials: VML

Post by bravojohny »

1 is pretty straightforward and balanced. A fine start for a series.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

1, might be part nostalgia, but also there's a kind of conciseness thematically that really just helps it fun to play. More isn't bad, but it isn't always better.

Never going to 1cc it mind and, similar to some past comments, doesn't feel like it was really intended to be a 1cc game really... no that I'd know though