Which is the best Metal Slug?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: Which is the best Metal Slug?

Post by geotrig »

im just wondering what happened in the world that people forgave 2 of its brokenness or am I misremembering ....i haven't played it in years.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

1up wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:19 pm For me it's
2>1>X>3>7/XX>6>>>5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4

I love that in 2 they've expanded on the arsenal/weapons and I love the stages and bosses. It is also revealed very late in the game that aliens are involved where as in X it is revealed right away with the UFO in the background. When you first play 2 you thinkg Mordon and his army are up to no good again but everything is turned on its head in stage 5. Only unfortunate thing about 2 is the sprite calculation error causing all the slowdown (turbo version fixes this)

A close 2nd for me is the first game. Straight forward game with awesome music, great graphics and lots of action. Absolute snooze fest to play for score...

X is great but the reason it gets 3rd place is because of the story progression and they just overdid it with all the extra enemies.

Metal Slug 3 would have been higher on my list if it wasn't for that last stage being 50% of the game. Absolute chore to play through. 2nd stage with the zombies is cool and the branching paths and hidden routes is fun to discover.
Could not agree more!! 2>1>X for the exact same reasons!

I’ve got a ‘turbo’ cart for MS2 , which is an OG cart that’s been socketed so that the OG eeprom can be swapped with turbo, but honestly I prefer the OG version.
It’s part of the character of it…
PunkicCyborg
eBay: evan_labit

Post by PunkicCyborg »

Geostorm
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

:problem:

If we’re doing proto slugs… In The Hunt > Geostorm
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

ChrisBEANS wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:05 am :problem:

If we’re doing proto slugs… In The Hunt > Geostorm
I'd put Gunforce 2/Geostorm ahead of In The Hunt myself. Both fantastic games though.

Does anyone else think 'The Deep' by Wood Place has a bit of a resemblance to In The Hunt actually?

Some of the subs have a very similar look to them, especially the bigger ones. The explosions have a bit of that IREM/Nasza 'dirty' feel to them (for no use of a better word!)

Check out the big submarine here at about 2 minutes 25 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV0nDm ... gLongplays
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

o1s1n wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 10:04 am oes anyone else think 'The Deep' by Wood Place has a bit of a resemblance to In The Hunt actually?

Some of the subs have a very similar look to them, especially the bigger ones. The explosions have a bit of that IREM/Nasza 'dirty' feel to them (for no use of a better word!)

Check out the big submarine here at about 2 minutes 25 seconds.
NO ! :awe: :lol: Lets be fair here its like comparing pit fighter and street fighter and submarine all for the most part tend to look the same ;) there was one on yahoo last wek that i was outbid on had its arts as well :(

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Actually, I do see what you mean on some explosions and a couple of background elements, but if I was pressured to pick a team I think I'd run to Triggsy. :shifty:

o1s1n wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 10:04 amIREM/Nasza 'dirty' feel to them (for no use of a better word!)
:awe: It's hard to describe isn't it? Their peak style looks drafted by a winner of the Elaborate Doodle Championships.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

I just can't stand 2. I keep wondering who the f*** approved this, what went wrong? It just seems plain broken, a technical mess.
slugflyer

Post by slugflyer »

:awe:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Here to represent new style VEWLIX arcade fans. Both of you.
Dache

Post by Dache »

Relevant to this thread, wondered if anyone else picked up the Metal Slug Ultimate History book published a couple of years ago? https://www.bitmapbooks.com/collections ... te-history

Really fascinating, loads of stuff in there I hadn't known about the series. As much as the 4-5-6 "trilogy" are undeniably inferior to the first games, it gave me a bit more respect for them given the situation the new team was thrown into.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Yup, absolutely brilliant book!

Great publisher. I have their Neo Geo History book and their Beat Em Up book.

Was really looking forward to the Mega Drive book, but Sega blocked it :(

If you’re a Metal Slug fan, I second the recommendation for this book
Commodore64
eBay: tachikawa-games
Initials: CYD

Post by Commodore64 »

Personally I think 1 and X are the best. 3 is fun, but a bit too tedious for my taste.
sploit

Post by sploit »

I'd say 2 is my favourite because it is the first one I played from the series. I first played it when I got a digital copy from the PSN store for my PSP. :D

I then bought XX digitally for my PSP also, which I also really enjoyed.
Dache

Post by Dache »

ChrisBEANS wrote: February 14th, 2023, 12:06 pm Was really looking forward to the Mega Drive book, but Sega blocked it :(
I didn't know that, what were their plans for it? An oral history book? (Edit: Just found an article, that's a shame! The Master System Visual Compendium they did was good!)

I wonder if Sega blocked it because they already gave permission for Read Only Memory's Mega Drive Collected Works book? That seems to be out of print now, but I loved it: https://readonlymemory.vg/shop/book/seg ... ted-works/
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Speaking of metal slug, was there ever a release date announced for metal slug tactics? A quick google shows "2023"
Tarma
eBay: king-o-cheese

Post by Tarma »

Late to this party... but... X > 1 > 2 > 3

I can't even rate the others. I can't stand 4, 5 is unfinished and 6 isn't much better than 4.

I need to revisit XX... it's not bad, but I don't recall walking away thinking they'd recaptured the magic of the original SNK developed titles.
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

Tarma wrote: March 19th, 2023, 4:39 pm Late to this party... but... X > 1 > 2 > 3

I can't even rate the others. I can't stand 4, 5 is unfinished and 6 isn't much better than 4.

I need to revisit XX... it's not bad, but I don't recall walking away thinking they'd recaptured the magic of the original SNK developed titles.
I'd agree with your lineup but I do flip back and forward between 1 and X being the best.

X was actually the first arcade game I ever bought and had at home, way before I knew Japanese sit downs were a thing.

Had a beat up Leisure 2000 Jamma cabinet around 2008 with a 1 slot mobo, a monitor that was teetering on the edge of vertical collapse and absolutely horrendous eurosticks..

Didn't matter how much of a wreak any of it was though, it was still a cab with Metal Slug X in the house, which was really amazing at the time.

I really like the visuals of the transformations but I'm not a big fan of how they impact gameplay. (which is one of the things that makes me flop back to 1 being the best)
B0SSCAT
eBay: ogbosscat
Initials: BCT

Post by B0SSCAT »

I like MS 2/X but I enjoyed MS 5 and 6. Nice to see the Ikari team in action and the tighter gameplay controls with a fun story.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

B0SSCAT wrote: April 30th, 2023, 9:18 pm I like MS 2/X but I enjoyed MS 5 and 6. Nice to see the Ikari team in action and the tighter gameplay controls with a fun story.
3 posts total, and you hit the ground running with this…

Niiiice

Very good to have you here, dude 8-)
B0SSCAT
eBay: ogbosscat
Initials: BCT

Post by B0SSCAT »

ChrisBEANS wrote: April 30th, 2023, 10:35 pm
B0SSCAT wrote: April 30th, 2023, 9:18 pm I like MS 2/X but I enjoyed MS 5 and 6. Nice to see the Ikari team in action and the tighter gameplay controls with a fun story.
3 posts total, and you hit the ground running with this…

Niiiice

Very good to have you here, dude 8-)
Appreciate you! 😺