Final Vendetta MVS

Coin-operated games and arcades.
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Re: Final Vendetta MVS

Post by jimmerd »

Just noticed the Xeno Crisis graffiti on the wall. :)

Overall i'm still impressed, given everything is designed around being able to support the Neo Geo version.

I agree it would be an improvement to include a parallax background rather than a single layer with a perspective baked in - there is some movement like the tv screen and flames.
I did notice a separate foreground layer with objects coming in front of the player at times which is nice.

Looks like a huge amount of high quality pixel art in the game, so I would think it's a trade off to time and budget constraints.

The fact that FV is going to be a genuine arcade game vs a modern game made to look a bit retro is going to be completely missed by a lot of people ( apart from us nerds ), which makes me wonder if they should also consider releasing the Neo Geo version under emulation on modern consoles.
"Please contact the local attendant"
jimmerd

Post by jimmerd »

There's a train that passes thru the station in the background here. :awe:
bazza2000

Post by bazza2000 »

That looks great, I'll be pre-ordering a copy
Moonwalker
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Post by Moonwalker »

Still missing info on the Neo Geo release, did anyone see something?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It's in the opening post

jimmerd wrote: April 9th, 2022, 1:38 pmhttps://wireframe.raspberrypi.com/artic ... h-attitude

"The cartridge release will arrive shortly after launching on modern consoles in May"
Moonwalker
eBay: Glmorgenstern
Initials: TOA

Post by Moonwalker »

Great, thanks!
jase

Post by jase »

Looks awesome, can't wait for the pre-orders to open. :)
jimmerd

Post by jimmerd »

Preview version showing the first two levels.

ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Out today on PC and current gen consoles…

I’m unlikely to have a bash at it until at least next week. Anyone getting involved with it today?
wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Post by wigsplitta »

Thanks for the reminder, I had a bit of free time this morning so downloaded it, and stuck it on the Vewlix (via Switch)

First impressions are good. I'm liking the style and it plays nicely. It got a crt filter video mode, but it's not strong enough for my liking, so I connected it up via an SLG (did the same for Shredder's Revenge too), and it looks bloody lovely 8-)
I Got PAID...
ウィッグスプリッター - スーパーガレージゲームセンター。
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I've added it to the queue. The developer must've been gutted when Turtles' release date was announced.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Suuuuuper first impression, I’ve had one ‘credit’ with one character (Sancho).

Plays well, looks great, sounds better.

Nice and smooth gameplay and intuitive controls. Nice attention to detail in backgrounds, animations, scene transitions etc…

Really enjoyed my first bash and I can certainly see that this would transfer really nicely to MVS.

As for comparison to other games… plays nothing like Final Fight, a little like Vendetta, but very much like Streets of Rage 2. Sanche is clearly the Axel analogue, with a very similar move set.
The game plays at a similar pace too, thumping sound track.

SoR 2 I’ve played through countless times since I had it new as a kid. Can’t speak to the longevity of this, but it feels like the sort of title that will always be fun for a quick blast. Too early to say Whether it has any real depth but overall first impressions are very good.
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Post by wonderbanana »

Nice first impressions cheers. Quite tempted by this.
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
jimmerd

Post by jimmerd »

I've had a chance to play a few credits on the PS4.

The difficulty, which defaults to 'hard' is similar to other 90's arcade beat em up.

I just managed to get to the third level on first go and I don't play this type of game that often these days.

There is also an easy mode and patch coming out which allows continues.

It does get a little crowed on screen at times, occasionally it felt unfair as if whatever you do will result in getting hit, but as I learnt more moves it did help a little with these situations... however it's not going to flatter anybody who expects a 'walking thru town' simulator. This is a pure bread old school beat em up.

There is clearly some good combos to be found, with Blocking!, the dash's, grabbing in air, attacking players on the floor, throws climbing on objects, attacking players out of screen etc. There does seem to be a lot more attack variations with buttons + direction to access which is great. Perhaps a genuine tutorial mode would help, where you have to perfect certain attacks against enemies in a mini level before you unlock the next training achievement..

In terms of level design, I prefer the later levels. If anything in my view the first street level is weakest due to the static backgrounds and it might have been better to start it in on the subway or docks level etc. The graphics are nice and chunky and feel authentic overall.

In summary this is just the type of game I would have spent a few quid on in the arcade. The gameplay is good, with a weighty feel and decent pacing.
As a console game with digital retail at £20 it's very much aimed at the beat em up enthusiast, although I would think when the price comes down it will attract a second wave of interest and hopefully it does well long term for BB.

If the Neo Geo port plays as well as the modern console release then it really will be something.

I was also excited to hear recently that Battle Axe will be coming to the NeoGeo.
goatboy
eBay: henknieborg

Post by goatboy »

Very nice indepth review!

garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

goatboy wrote: June 28th, 2022, 9:42 am Very nice indepth review!

The Electric Underground channel is great (one I always watch) , his reviews are always indepth and usually hits the nail on the head.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Anyone heard any news at all on an MVS release since it came out on all the modern platforms??

I was all excited for some sort of limited edition with OST etc… but it’s been silence ever since an apparently very successful release
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

From what i've read on **** they are working on it and will come back with more info when the end of development is in sight
jase

Post by jase »

I've heard that pre-orders for the AES and MVS versions will open very soon. :)
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

jase wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:59 am I've heard that pre-orders for the AES and MVS versions will open very soon. :)
Great news :awe: