Re: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO TOAPLAN

Post by aerobert »

backed :)
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

What is the £55,000 going to be spent on?
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

Alcohol & prostitutes.
ALLYOURBASE
Please Continue...
eBay: tenkousei
Initials: JMP

Post by ALLYOURBASE »

I am the director and I can confirm that not a yen will go towards alcohol or prostitutes. Haha

It is not cheap to film a documentary. We have to hire professional cameramen (super expensive here, request a few quotes) and production sound mixers. I am not going to preserve Toaplan's history by recording these guys with an iphone. I want to do their story justice or not do it at all. They feel the same. We have tried shooting this with a small team of individuals but in the end you pay for quality. (the trailers somewhat poor quality is evidence of this)

I have to do the interviews personally and can't be manning a camera at the same time. I need to interact with the guest and change my line of questioning on the spot if I find what I have written and prepared beforehand is something they don't know enough to talk about or don't remember.
Try to sit and interview one of your heroes (that in itself is overwhelming) while making sure that all the cameras are in focus and the sound is being properly recorded. Impossible.

Another big expense is we have over 25 shoots to do for the documentary and we have to pay for a studio each and every shoot. Why?
It's being filmed in Japan and a lot of these guests do not want to film in their own home as they feel it is an invasion of privacy, or they are otherwise embarrassed. We also need to film in a decent studio because we don't want to hear traffic and noise in the background while filming.
Why not film in their office? For various reasons many of the guests do not want to do this. So in America you might be able to go over to the interviewee's house and film in a nice, quiet, well-lit environment there for nothing, but in crowded and cramped Tokyo that isn't an option.

The travel expenses of all the guests and crew must be paid for.
We have to press the blu-rays, make all of the rewards and pay for the design/creation of these as well. We have to pay for the Japanese narration. We have to pay for the artwork. There is a high kickstarter fee and exorbitant taxes in Japan on top of all this.

I have already put a lot of money into this project myself and was going to set the goal much higher at first to try to reimburse some of the costs, but I considered it as my pledge as a fan and decided to absorb those expenses myself.

I am not doing this project as a job but as a hobby and I assure you that the money put into the project WILL go into the project. If its somehow possible I want to even film and release the full history as well. Shmup Junkie and I are not using any of the money on ourselves.

(the entire documentary uses original hardware, that alone is super expensive!! -- and every single board was bought with my salary over the past three years, none of that is included in the goal as its my personal hobby.)

I hope this cleared up some doubts.
Last edited by ALLYOURBASE on January 2nd, 2022, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALLYOURBASE
Please Continue...
eBay: tenkousei
Initials: JMP

Post by ALLYOURBASE »

Also I want to include some interesting surprises in the documentary as well. It would be no fun if I revealed my entire hand of cards at the beginning.
CTN

Post by CTN »

Sounds good. :awe: Good luck with that.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

This sounds cool.

I recently checked out this Youtube channels recent reveiew of ALL of the PC Engine STG's.

It's a great reference video for these games on that legendary system, it even had couple of titles that I was unaware of, or want to check out more.

It's an absolute labour of love weighing in at over 3 hours long - I can't image the amount of time and effort that went into it. Well worth watching in its entirety.

aerobert
eBay: romajoh

Post by aerobert »

Progress looks promising. And the last update adds Mark from CGR as narrator. Loved his videos back in the good old days. Will be excellent!
XtraSmiley
eBay: netrunner 2
Initials: ACE

Post by XtraSmiley »

If you haven't been following this, in the last week some more signed PCBs have been added. Batsugun, Tatsujin Oh, Dogyuun. Anyway, it's almost across the finish line, so help get the word out if you can! I'm pumped for this and can't wait to see it done!
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

Only the Tatsujin Oh left and buying it would send the kickstarter over the finish line.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

What does truxton 2 pcb go for, somewhere in the 600-900 range?

The guy signing it must have the most expensive autograph in the world.
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

Who am I to judge what something is worth for a mega fan?

Let people enjoy their things.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

arcnl wrote: January 18th, 2022, 12:49 pm What does truxton 2 pcb go for, somewhere in the 600-900 range?

The guy signing it must have the most expensive autograph in the world.
The purpose is to raise money for the documentary, do you not understand that?
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Sure, why not make it 8k then? If you think tacking 3k+ on top for a kickstarter reward is reasonable then we have a different definition of reasonable.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

Monetizing videos of pirated APM3 arcade games from developers you’re working with is poor form.
CTN

Post by CTN »

What happend?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

arcnl wrote: January 24th, 2022, 7:05 am Sure, why not make it 8k then? If you think tacking 3k+ on top for a kickstarter reward is reasonable then we have a different definition of reasonable.
Well we can definitely have different expectations of what is reasonable but that's life. My wife doesn't think $20 for an old Arcade PCB is reasonable, let alone 600-900. So you and her have something in common, when it comes to arcade PCBs, I don't listen to either of you! :P
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Shou wrote: January 24th, 2022, 11:28 am Monetizing videos of pirated APM3 arcade games from developers you’re working with is poor form.
Can you expand on this? What do you mean?