Initials: JOE

Gimmick! EXACT☆MIX

Post by SuperPang »

Shipping soon. I think it looks great. Nice work @mikejmoffitt

nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Gimmick! EXACT☆MIX

Post by nem »

Love the animation sequences. They look great.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

I think it looks great 8-)

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
Sqrfrk
Please Continue...
eBay: Sqrfrk

Post by Sqrfrk »

That feel when this and the I/O board arrives two days early but your system is out for repair :-|
Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Post by Sunder »

Nice! Finally, something that's more expensive than the original version. :lol:
Beautifully animated.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Sunder wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:26 amNice! Finally, something that's more expensive than the original version. :lol:
You mean cheaper, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333806067945

I'll take an Amiga looking game over a NES game any day of the week!
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*

Post by SuperPang »

I'd never heard of the NES/Famicom game before this was announced. Looks like an overlooked gem.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

SuperPang wrote: December 30th, 2020, 12:39 pm Looks like an overlooked gem.
Like Trip World on Gameboy ;)
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Joy Mech Fight EX.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Scanline option I see.

Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Post by Sunder »

nem wrote: December 30th, 2020, 11:09 am
Sunder wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:26 amNice! Finally, something that's more expensive than the original version. :lol:
You mean cheaper, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333806067945

I'll take an Amiga looking game over a NES game any day of the week!
I'll never count the PAL version. That one's just silly. Also you can get it for "cheaper" loose.
cocoron
eBay: dr_spengler
Initials: SRK

Post by cocoron »

SuperPang wrote: December 30th, 2020, 12:39 pm I'd never heard of the NES/Famicom game before this was announced. Looks like an overlooked gem.
It is and the only one that uses Sunsoft's expanded FME-7 sound chip.
MrJBRPG
exA-Arcadia Super Fan
eBay: Johnshibrpg
Initials: JPM

Post by MrJBRPG »

Gamers on twitter asked the wrong company for exact 1:1 port begging:

themisterfalcon
eBay: themisterfalcon
Initials: MRF

Post by themisterfalcon »

Received my copy a few days ago. It's absolutely wonderful in all regards.

Feels great to play on a cabinet. The remixed music is outstanding. The new animations are top-notch. Killer work all around!

(playing on a 31khz CRT with Capcom IO for those wondering)
themisterfalcon
eBay: themisterfalcon
Initials: MRF

Post by themisterfalcon »

MrJBRPG wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 12:57 pm Gamers on twitter asked the wrong company for exact 1:1 port begging:

haha this is so good
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Parody account.
Emulation's nice when done well
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

DHL finally delivered my copy a few days ago. I could have gotten the game before the end of the year, but the deliveryman decided he wanted to end his shift 20 seconds earlier and instead of bringing the package to me, he just did a 180 at the end of the road, 10 meters from my door. Too bad for him I caught his **** from the window.

It's Gimmick, and it seems to work really well as an arcade game.

I've only played Gimmick once. My girlfriend knew I was into videogames and she told me she had an old Nintendo. Her aunt worked at Bergsala (story of Bergsala) and always brought her a Nintendo game for her birthday. I was like everybody has an uncle that works at Nintendo, but she didn't get the reference. Anyway, she still had all those games. She handed me like seven carts if I remember right. Super Mario Bros 1 and 3, Jetsons, all good stuff. The last cart I flipped in my hands was Mr. Gimmick. I told her the game was crazy expensive, but somehow she wasn't all that interested in this fact? Women are so weird. Funny anecdote, when her brother heard about this, he asked to borrow the game and it's been 'lost' forever since.

Anyway, we played the game back then and I remember it being pretty hard. Well, yeah, it is.

The character has momentum and all the surfaces are somewhat slippery, so there's some getting used to how the character moves. You can build up a star and throw it to hurt enemies, but the **** thing bounces off from the floor and many times it goes over the enemies. Also, the game has a ton of **** that just have to know, like enemies dive bombing on you without warning. The first stage does this a lot.

It's a four button game. Button 1 builds up the star and throws it, button 2 jumps, button 3 cycles through your item inventory, button 4 uses the chosen item. The NES game is of course 2-button. I don't remember exactly how it works, but I'm sure having the extra two buttons is a boon.

I'm running the game on the All.Net P-ras Multi. I wish there was a windowed mode in the settings. The 32" screen is really close to you and at full screen it's a lot to take in. I think it would be easier on the eyes if it was smaller. Scanlines are on by default, but I think it looks better without them. What's cool is that if you hold down Start when you begin a new game, you can change some options, including scanlines. That's a really nice addition. You can also toggle original background graphics, original or remixed music, a 2-button mode and a mirror mode.

When starting a new game you can pick between the regular game mode and a time attack mode. I've only tried regular. In regular mode the game gives you the chance to edit the stage order if you want to. You can arrange the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stage as you please.

The graphics could have been touched up more, it's a bit chunky looking. I bet it looks way better on a CRT (I really need to get myself a DAC). I have zero recollection what the NES music sounded like, the remixed music sounds fine.

The pirate boss sucks.

It's fun. Remains to be seen if anyone else is interested in it. Very possibly it's just going to be me playing it after hours, but happy to support the effort. I want to see more games like it.
energizerfellow
Please Continue...

Post by energizerfellow »

I assume things like the graphics style and scanlines defaults are configurable in the service menu?

Also, is it just me or does the aspect ratio of the sprites look off in the updated graphics version when played in widescreen?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

energizerfellow wrote: January 10th, 2021, 6:29 am I assume things like the graphics style and scanlines defaults are configurable in the service menu?
Graphics style no, scanlines yes. When starting a new game you can access the mini options screen and there you can choose between updated and original graphics (I mistakenly referred to it as just backgrounds, but it is a full graphics swap).

Also, is it just me or does the aspect ratio of the sprites look off in the updated graphics version when played in widescreen?
It's almost the same. The bottom of the screen on the NES version was dedicated for score, life bars and items, the actual game screen was letterboxed. I screencapped the same stage from videos on Youtube:

exa_gimmick.jpg
nes_gimmick.jpg

I just booted up the game in VGA and it looks more or less the same as the NES version:

exa_gimmick_vga.jpg

EDIT: tried setting the game to original graphics. I take it they're 1:1 with the NES version. I've just been watching NES videos on Youtube, but yeah, seeing them now in game, the updated graphics look way better. I feel the resolution could have been upped a notch for HD, but I bet it looks great on a CRT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

It was originally going to have "HD" graphics but they were scrapped. I think it was a good decision.