SEGA Arcade Fog Gaming

Coin-operated games and arcades.
nem
Needs a custom rank

SEGA Arcade Fog Gaming

Post by nem »

Four versions of Game Gear Micro with four games each. Emulation made by M2 as always. Looks uncomfortably small.

Anyway, the Famitsu scoop was not about that. It was about this:

Fog gaming.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: Dreamcast 2? Famitsu Exclusive.

Post by geotrig »

:lol: :lol: that micro :palm:

also so sega big annoucement is basically an idea to try and **** on already struggling arcades ?

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I'm not sure I understand the concept behind harnessing arcade hardware for cloud services at 'off hours'. I haven't been to a Japanese arcade in over decade, but I would guess they're open, I don't know, from noon to midnight? How much use can a cloud service have outside that? Unless they're betting on COVID-21 :think: I could see it being more believable if they meant 'idle hours', crunching the numbers and noticing that a lot of their arcade gear is sitting idle. So might as well use that time to operate a cloud service? However, the revenue to arcades can not be a whole lot more than some very minuscule payback, barely covering electricity costs and not a whole lot more. There's a reason why server farms are placed in the middle of nowhere and not on prime real estate.

Honestly, the Game Gear thing would have been the bigger scoop. Man, what a missed opportunity that thing is. The original GG hardware is a piece of ****, terrible screen and eats up 6 AAs in a couple of hours. But there's a ton of very good games on the platform (honest!), practically all of them made by Sega. Put the cheapest ARM SOC and an OLED screen on a handheld the size of a NeoGeo Pocket, then put 50 games on that thing and charge 100 euros for it. I would have been all over it.

As it is though, well

gg_micro.jpg

:palm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Braintrash
Please Continue...
eBay: yuu_madrigal

Post by Braintrash »

Sega was missing being on the verge on bankrupcy, so this is their new attempt at suicide. :palm:
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

nem wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 9:02 amI'm not sure I understand the concept behind harnessing arcade hardware for cloud services at 'off hours'. I haven't been to a Japanese arcade in over decade, but I would guess they're open, I don't know, from noon to midnight? How much use can a cloud service have outside that?
Naturally my mind when to gaming because, you know, Sega. However, someone on another forum pointed out it's more likely that it's for enterprise-level computing tasks, like encoding videos, crunching equations, mining bitcoin, finding aliens in space, etc.

It's a novel idea. I don't expect arcades to make bank on it though.
geotrig wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 10:30 am camera pans out to reveal a 10 year old kid holding it :awe:
It's still damn small.

EDIT: official site has the size. It's 80mm x 43mm x 20mm. So I made a mock up:

gg_micro_mock_up.jpg

I don't know, I kind of want one now :shifty: If you can mod this thing, I'm sold. I don't even mind the four game limit. Let me put four games of my choosing and I'm happy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Early reports suggest this is a service for playing arcade games at home after hours. If this stops Senjin getting a proper port I'll be a bit miffed.

I'll create a thread for this and the GG Micro once things are a bit clearer.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Japanese arcade gaming at home, who would have thought that... :awe:
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Post by jimmerd »

It will be interesting to see how far along with development SEGA is and how the "Fog" computing gets utilised.

If it's just for 'out of hours' then perhaps it will allow people to play StarHorse or other turn based simulators :shifty:
(I actually like the game btw)

It could also be used in the day time to perform additional processing to enhance the game experience.

How long before we see Sega 'Proxy' account services for overseas users? - of course the latency when the equipment is not located nearby would be higher.
"Please contact the local attendant"
Braintrash
Please Continue...
eBay: yuu_madrigal

Post by Braintrash »

As long fog gamings is hacked, I am fine with it.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: SEGA Arcade Fog Gaming

Post by SuperPang »

Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Re: SEGA Arcade Fog Gaming

Post by Jan »

fog gaming... :palm: