advice for buying Pc to run steam games in a vewlix cabinet

Coin-operated games and arcades.
g60hot
Please Continue...
eBay: recycle-squad

advice for buying Pc to run steam games in a vewlix cabinet

Post by g60hot »

Hi all I'm not very well versed in anything other than original hardware in cabinets, I am looking to set up 8 or so Vewlix cabinets with pcs inside to which I will download steam games to play on them.

Is there someone who can help get me set up, need to buy all the pc's and associated stuff.

Cheers,
John
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: advice for buying Pc to run steam games in a vewlix cabinet

Post by DaveyD »

It's it just arcadey /shmup type games you are looking to play of steam? As you shouldn't need too high a spec machine to run those
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

First I’d figure out if your vewlix screens are DVI or DVI-D. If they are analogue only, you’ll need an older GPU regardless

Controls, use the zero delay pcbs from AliExpress. They’re dirt cheap
g60hot
Please Continue...

Post by g60hot »

may not be possible for steam but I want the games to perform like the arcade versions such as boots direct to the game, no in-game menus etc

looking to run some cave stuff, and Type x2 games without having to use an actual x2

cheers
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Steam games are just like any other windows games, bang them straight in startup to load on boot. Youll have to hope you can disable sufficient menu keys though, will take some experimenting.
gozaimas
eBay: yodamiffy
Initials: GOZ

Post by gozaimas »

I recommend picking up an Alienware X51 R2. It's a few years old, but is more than powerful enough to run all Steam shmups and fighters at maximum settings. It's also a small form factor, and comes in a case that will fit perfectly inside a Vewlix on the shelf. One of these will set you back about £400 on eBay or whatever, and you'll probably not need to upgrade for years.

For the interface, most people agree that the Brook Universal fighting boards are the best option (preferable to an iPAC), as they have the lowest input latency. The Universal will also work with other consoles, so is a good and flexible option.

I also highly recommend investing in Big Box, which is a graphical front end interface for all of your Steam games/ other PC titles. It's extremely easy to set up, very well supported and maintained and, when you buy a $50 license, you get free updates forever. Ignore the super ugly American-style skins on the official link. The basic coverflow version looks good oh a Japanese cab.

You'll probably also want a sub-board for the Vewlix, to which you can assign a few extra buttons, like 'Start' and 'Escape' (*which you'll need to exit some PC games. For me, the one sold by Heartcade is by far the best-looking option on the market (and it will work v well with a DB Vewlix), and you can also get a version that extends your USB sockets from the PC, so you don't need to open the cab if/ when you want to plug in a keyboard or whatever.

I can help walk you through steps over DM or email if you want, as I've just finished setting up one of these to put in my new DB Vewlix. ;)
g60hot
Please Continue...

Post by g60hot »

gozaimas wrote: January 14th, 2020, 9:18 am I recommend picking up an Alienware X51 R2. It's a few years old, but is more than powerful enough to run all Steam shmups and fighters at maximum settings. It's also a small form factor, and comes in a case that will fit perfectly inside a Vewlix on the shelf. One of these will set you back about £400 on eBay or whatever, and you'll probably not need to upgrade for years.

For the interface, most people agree that the Brook Universal fighting boards are the best option (preferable to an iPAC), as they have the lowest input latency. The Universal will also work with other consoles, so is a good and flexible option.

I also highly recommend investing in Big Box, which is a graphical front end interface for all of your Steam games/ other PC titles. It's extremely easy to set up, very well supported and maintained and, when you buy a $50 license, you get free updates forever. Ignore the super ugly American-style skins on the official link. The basic coverflow version looks good oh a Japanese cab.

You'll probably also want a sub-board for the Vewlix, to which you can assign a few extra buttons, like 'Start' and 'Escape' (*which you'll need to exit some PC games. For me, the one sold by Heartcade is by far the best-looking option on the market (and it will work v well with a DB Vewlix), and you can also get a version that extends your USB sockets from the PC, so you don't need to open the cab if/ when you want to plug in a keyboard or whatever.

I can help walk you through steps over DM or email if you want, as I've just finished setting up one of these to put in my new DB Vewlix. ;)

Cheers dude I shall be picking your brains on that...pms incoming...lots 😂