Vewlix Models Ranked

Coin-operated games and arcades.
gozaimas
eBay: yodamiffy
Initials: GOZ

Vewlix Models Ranked

Post by gozaimas »

Seems like it's a good time to buy a Vewlix cab right now: the machines are old enough that operators are letting them go, driving prices down to, as far as I can tell, their lowest yet. Soon enough I reckon prices will start to climb again as the consumer market gobbles up this stock.

As such, I've been trying to figure out a ranking for the different models of machines, best to, er, least-best, based on screen type, quality of parts etc. Arcade Otaku's useful comparison table lets people know what to expect from each model, but doesn't really provide a ranking for prospective buyers. Also, more and more owners have been changing out the 768p screens on the older models for low-lag 1080p screens, which confuses things further.

I've played most of these models, but don't own all of them, obviously. I believe there are a few different Chewlix variations, but I'm assuming the one listed here is the officially licensed version. Here's my back-of-a-postcard calculation. Obviously personal taste will come into this, depending on what colour schemes people prefer, but the below is based on features and quality of parts. What do other people reckon? Anything massively off?

SS Tier

Vewlix C (with 1080p screen)
Vewlix F (with 1080p screen)

S Tier

Vewlix Diamond Black (stock model)

AAA tier

Vewlix Diamond (stock model)

AA tier

Vewlix C (stock model)
Vewlix F (stock model)

A tier

Vewlix L (with 1080p screen)

B tier

Chewlix L (screen upgrade model)

C tier

Chewlix (stock model)
Last edited by gozaimas on September 24th, 2019, 1:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Re: Vewlix Models Ranked

Post by Jan »

you forgot hyper-tier

Vewlix AMI with 50" 8K TV

but seriously, what exactly would make a F or C with custom 1080p Screen (wich is not even specified) better than the DIA Black/orange ? The **** **** weiya psu ?

it is also a question of your preference (Motion Flow of the Panasonic Screens is the DIA/Blue for example is stunning) , and the age of the screen. A very good AMI or L can beat a aged Sanwa from the F or C bye a mile.

such a list is useless and will make it even more complicated.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
gozaimas

Post by gozaimas »

ha! I know there's always going to be personal preference involved in any list, but I was just interested in hearing people's opinions. I was assuming the 1080p screen in a Vewlix C or F would be the official one from Taito, which I know a number of people have imported and installed. The C and the F have the widest range of features afaik (at least, according to the ArcadeOtaku comparison chart), which is the logic behind putting these at the top.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

IMO the most important part of any Arcade machine, CRT or LCD, is the monitor. As Jan said, a good low hour monitor can **** all over a heavily used one.

Without numbers for actual response time (not G2G marketing BS) contrast, brightness etc your ratings are pointless imo.

Edit: so by my reasoning, the vewlix L with the same 1080p screen as the top tier cabs, should be at the top. What’s **** about the L other than the screen?

Handling of motion is largely subjective, but I will throw in a unsubstantiated, Panasonic are known for having excellent colour reproduction.

With a CRT the response time / lag is zero. It’s different tech, so after that it gets very subjective with CRTs.

Ignoring the screen on the vewlix, the design’s are all very similar and the “extras” are basically lights that you could well add yourself. What you like there is subjective.
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

the 1080p replacement Screens from Taito are probably an "older" Revision of the LG Panel in the DIA Black, maybe the same, who knows.
gozaimas

Post by gozaimas »

Jan wrote: September 24th, 2019, 11:29 am the 1080p replacement Screens from Taito are probably an "older" Revision of the LG Panel in the DIA Black, maybe the same, who knows.
Out of interest, is there a model number for the Panasonic screens you're referring to? Were they available to consumers, or something Panasonic made specifically for Taito?
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

i don`t have it at hand, but i`m sure it is online somewhere. It is a professional screen, nothing custom made for Taito.
Ikaru

Post by Ikaru »

It’s an IPS alpha technology from Panasonic.Jan is right it’s a professional screen .i will take a look this evening if you want .

Edit :apparently IPs alpha belongs to Panasonic and hitachi.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

F for specs and bling.
Dia Blue for looks.
Dia Black if you need 1080p.
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

It’s an IPS alpha technology from Panasonic.Jan is right it’s a professional screen .i will take a look this evening if you want .
Rev. 1 (pre-production model?) DIA Blue has a IPS Technology Branded Screen, Rev. 2 Has a Panasonic Branded Screen, apparently Matsushita bought IPS at some point.