Xeno Crisis - Bitmap Bureau (MVS)

Coin-operated games and arcades.
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Re: Xeno Crisis - Bitmap Bureau (MVS)

Post by jimmerd »

Yes it does look great, especially the palette in video below.

I'm not connected with Bitmap Bureau. I did order a MVS copy when the game was first announced hence interested in following the progress and to see what they do in future.

The price has now increased from £199 to £299 to cover costs, however...
.. a 25% discount code site wide until June

Code: Select all

XENO25

"Please contact the local attendant"
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Post by jimmerd »

They have shipped. I've just received an MVS copy of the game and will take a look at the weekend :)
"Please contact the local attendant"
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

jimmerd wrote: October 6th, 2021, 10:05 am They have shipped. I've just received an MVS copy of the game and will take a look at the weekend :)
Awesome!! I look forward to your impressions :thumbup:

I’m a big fan of the Megadrive version, and I’m not convinced there’s enough difference to justify a £300 purchase for a second platform, but I’m open to persuasion and always happy to support devs…
Kriser1c
Please Continue...
eBay: kreric-55
Initials: KRS

Post by Kriser1c »

MY MVS kit arrived today! Here is an unboxing video showing what is included in the normal edition:

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Oh crap, I forgot that the standard edition doesn't come with any art. I really want the mini marquee.

EDIT: nevermind, I see the art set is available to order separately on the store for £15 (plus £5 for shipping). Fair deal. Placed an order for one.
aerobert
eBay: romajoh

Post by aerobert »

Mine is stuck in customs. :problem:

How is that brexit **** working out for everyone? Good stuff good stuff :lolno:
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

On a Amiga scale:
How much does it suck?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

aerobert wrote: October 10th, 2021, 6:57 pm Mine is stuck in customs. :problem:
Same :problem:
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

110 euro extra in taxes and fees, for something payed several years ago.

Thanks Brexit.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Brexit is(was) a truly, truly ridiculous move.

We’ve all got personal tales of import taxes or simply being refused shipment etc, every one of us, but I don’t know of a single person claiming to be better off for it.

Anyway, rant over.

Anyone got their art set yet? Happy with it?
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

aerobert wrote: October 13th, 2021, 8:40 am 110 euro extra in taxes and fees, for something payed several years ago.

Thanks Brexit.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I asked for a VAT included invoice by email on 7th of October. I haven't received one.
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

I think people are confusing tax with vat and also why they have to pay.
It sucks to shell out an extra 50% almost but really not the fault of bitmap bureau at all.
buffi

Post by buffi »

I don't really blame them for it either, but it sure sucks a lot of **** to have to pay the additional cost
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Wrong. They are a business and they were VAT registered before Brexit, and their original invoices should have specified VAT. I asked about this at the end of 2018 to which they replied:

"We're actually just waiting on our VAT details to arrive, the price is currently inclusive of VAT so I should be able to provide you in time with the details and receipt [snip]."
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Well what you can do then is have bitmap reclaim their VAT payment since they wrongfully paid on exported goods, and then theyd have to refund their customers the VAT ammount.

Youll never get away from paying VAT on imports into the EU.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

sven666 wrote: October 13th, 2021, 12:50 pm Well what you can do then is have bitmap reclaim their VAT payment since they wrongfully paid on exported goods, and then theyd have to refund their customers the VAT ammount.

Let's say Bitmap Bureau was indeed collecting VAT like any lawful EU business. I bought my cart in 2019 and paid 20% VAT on it. This was then paid to the revenue authorities of the UK in 2019 by Bitmap Bureau. Can they get my money back from two years ago? I don't see it very likely that they're going to be paying this out of their own pocket.

I see it way easier to just hand a VAT inclusive invoice to Finnish customs proving that I paid VAT on something that was sold for use in the European Union. I paid that tax in 2019, give me my game.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Honestly i have no idea what the brittish procedure is for a situation like this, i doubt the authorites barely know themselves?

I do know vat into the EU is to be paid in the country of arrival and is then vat exempt while travelling around the union, famously used to scam the EU out of billions every year in complex VAT return structures.
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

I filed an appeal to the customs. I have to pay all fees and vat until my appeal has been decided and if I win (with the documentation provided by bitmap bureau) I get it back.

Will most likely not get it back.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I folded and just paid tax on the thing.

I'm currently running the game on a 4-slot MVS on a Neo 29. The game uses the full 320px wide resolution, which bothers the heck out of me because all the other three games I have installed are 304px (I think). So now I have black bars in three games.

There's a stereo bug in the game. Initially I thought it wouldn't play the right channel at all having read about the issue before hand, however, it is there, but some of the sounds have audible static. Also, I don't think the stereo separation actually works. Fixing this bug apparently means you have to return the game back to BB. With Brexit, that's super annoying. I wish the cart came with a card slot like Kraut Buster.

There's four different button layouts that you can change in the test menu. Standard layout (Stick 1) is

A: Roll when moving
B: Shoot
C: Grenade
D: Knife

This seemed unintuitive to me. I switched to Pad 2 which has shoot on A and roll on B, but then I realized you can change your firing direction by pressing other buttons while firing -- which only makes sense if you have the fire button in the middle of two buttons. So with the standard layout, you hold B to shoot, and then press A to rotate left, C to rotate right. Standard layout it is then, I'll just have to learn how to play it.

Stage 1 boss is kicking my ****. My game was set to Hard, I guess that's the default setting.