Metal Slug 3 Original MVS Hardware Input Latency

Coin-operated games and arcades.
bipedal
Please Continue...
eBay: bipedal_0
Initials: CSB

Metal Slug 3 Original MVS Hardware Input Latency

Post by bipedal »

I've been trying to find hard numbers on this, but I'm having a hard time. Does anyone know what kind of input lag Metal Slug 3 running on original hardware has? If someone has access to it and a device that can record at 120/240 fps (gopro, iphone, camera, etc), would they mind recording a video for me at the beginning of stage 1, with the button and screen in the frame, doing a few jumps? I'm trying to see how far off I am with my current setup.

This sort of thing:
Awbacon
Please Continue...
eBay: Awbacon
Initials: Aeb

Re: Metal Slug 3 Original MVS Hardware Input Latency

Post by Awbacon »

I'll try to do this over the weekend if I have time, but in my experience it should be practically nil. There are so many frame perfect or near perfect inputs on Neo-Geo games (especially the fighters) that an MVS w/ a CRT should be close to zero.

Now if you have a framemeister in between, I've measured that to be near 20ms of input lag
pulstarx
Please Continue...

Post by pulstarx »

As the Metal Slug games only run in 30fps the lag will be always at least 16ms more than all other NEOGEO games. In case of slowdown the lag may raise even further.
bipedal
Please Continue...

Post by bipedal »

The thing that makes me specifically curious is that I'm measuring significantly less latency with a coin insert operation than I am with a character jump. I'm just curious to have a proper baseline.

Actually I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter which neo geo title is measured, I can always emulate it and compare.
pulstarx
Please Continue...

Post by pulstarx »

The coin insertion runs at 60fps the game itself only at 30fps. Hence the difference.

The Metal Slug games are not suitable for measuring latency. I would choose a recent 60fps vs-fighter like Garou.
bipedal
Please Continue...

Post by bipedal »

pulstarx wrote:The coin insertion runs at 60fps the game itself only at 30fps. Hence the difference.

The Metal Slug games are not suitable for measuring latency. I would choose a recent 60fps vs-fighter like Garou.
Well that's one mystery solved.
RogeNES
Please Continue...
Initials: IAW

Post by RogeNES »

bipedal wrote:
pulstarx wrote:The coin insertion runs at 60fps the game itself only at 30fps. Hence the difference.

Well that's one mystery solved.
I have both, I'll upload the videos later today.