exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
mx5dob
eBay: mrpauldobson
Initials: dob

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by mx5dob »

yosai wrote: February 4th, 2020, 3:39 pm
zak wrote: February 4th, 2020, 10:06 am Shou didn't forbid anything. It's Tanoshimasu's wish. I imagine this will be lifted after it has run its course in arcades.
I was half temped to go for a kit to support the developer but I'm not going in blind. The mobile version was mediocre at best.
dont forget this random guy on youtube has some gameplay vids

https://www.youtube.com/user/westtrade96/videos
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

mx5dob wrote: February 4th, 2020, 4:26 pm
dont forget this random guy on youtube has some gameplay vids

He's on these forums ;)
zak
Acetated

Post by zak »

zak wrote: February 4th, 2020, 10:06 am Shou didn't forbid anything. It's Tanoshimasu's wish. I imagine this will be lifted after it has run its course in arcades.
I was half temped to go for a kit to support the developer but I'm not going in blind. The mobile version was mediocre at best.
The game is ace! :awe: Just wish we could have a chance to buy the version with slower bullets.

EDIT: We're both in London, maybe we can have a gaming weekend at mine and you can give it a try ;) I promise I won't wear a robe and cross my legs in front of you :lol:
Monstermug
eBay: Monstermug
Initials: SON

Post by Monstermug »

zak wrote: February 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm
The game is ace! :awe: Just wish we could have a chance to buy the version with slower bullets.

EDIT: We're both in London, maybe we can have a gaming weekend at mine and you can give it a try ;) I promise I won't wear a robe and cross my legs in front of you :lol:
I didn't think much of it at first (I initially just thought it was eye candy plus basic dodge em up. Actually was complaining to Zak about it too :oops: ) but when I learned the game mechanics it just blew my mind. Took me a few buckets of 100 yens to understand and get used to the hitbox though. The adrenaline rush of the precise timing to getting those back2back bombs out one after the other is definitely rewarding. One of those rare games that I enjoy the more I play it. I personally don't think it's too hard at all and is just a case of learning how to play. Every time I die I know I made the mistake and it's hard right from the get-go unlike other games so you know what to expect. It's definitely a benchmark for Cave to meet.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

mx5dob wrote: February 4th, 2020, 4:26 pm dont forget this random guy on youtube has some gameplay vids
Didn't really get much from those except the annoying speech over the music. :lol: at the fact it makes a big deal about the music before the game starts too.
zak wrote: February 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm The game is ace! :awe: Just wish we could have a chance to buy the version with slower bullets.

Thanks for the offer zak, I may take you up on that next month. You're in the Wembley area?
Monstermug wrote: February 4th, 2020, 8:37 pm I didn't think much of it at first (I initially just thought it was eye candy plus basic dodge em up. Actually was complaining to Zak about it too :oops: ) but when I learned the game mechanics it just blew my mind. Took me a few buckets of 100 yens to understand and get used to the hitbox though. The adrenaline rush of the precise timing to getting those back2back bombs out one after the other is definitely rewarding. One of those rare games that I enjoy the more I play it. I personally don't think it's too hard at all and is just a case of learning how to play. Every time I die I know I made the mistake and it's hard right from the get-go unlike other games so you know what to expect. It's definitely a benchmark for Cave to meet.
Thanks, I think these are the first positive impressions I've read. Is the game is as hard as SDOJ on Expert on the easiest setting? If so that's pretty brutal.
Ikaru

Post by Ikaru »

Good news from shou 8-)
Akyrios will be shipped the next week :D a poster will be included in the kit 8-) and psyvariar will likely release the end of March ;)
MrJBRPG
exA-Arcadia Super Fan
eBay: Johnshibrpg
Initials: JPM

Post by MrJBRPG »

Ikaru wrote: February 6th, 2020, 1:42 pm Good news from shou 8-)
Akyrios will be shipped the next week :D a poster will be included in the kit 8-) and psyvariar will likely release the end of March ;)
I also remember from Arcade Heroes, through a different discord server, that Infinos EXA would be shipped around this month.

Also, wanted to share a US operator's video on installing the Exa Arcadia (of course many fellows who post may have knowledge of such procedures), plus demo on Aka & Blue along with Kung Fu vs Karate Champs.

They did report that some casuals are turned off by the high difficulty, especially with Kung Fu vs Karate Champs from many not clearing the first round, and gave critiques and suggestions for developers to to add difficulty scale options, meaning adjusting the gameplay balance by difficulty level, to satisfy all levels of play. As others mentioned before about updates, Exa Arcadia hardware and games can easily make patches to improve the overall experience.

@Ikaru Like to thank you for making such mentions because some of us really wish that Exa Arcadia would update their website more frequently, such as estimated shipping dates on completed games (maybe have tags such as IN DEVELOPMENT-not available and READY-available), announcements on upcoming games and conferences, and more blog posts that showcases their current state of the hardware, such as global "soft launch", tips on building optimal cabinet, etc.
Ikaru

Post by Ikaru »

Great video mrJBRPG :thumbup:
MrJBRPG wrote: February 6th, 2020, 2:00 pm @Ikaru Like to thank you for making such mentions because some of us really wish that Exa Arcadia would update their website more frequently, such as estimated shipping dates on completed games (maybe have tags such as IN DEVELOPMENT-not available and READY-available), announcements on upcoming games and conferences, and more blog posts that showcases their current state of the hardware, such as global "soft launch", tips on building optimal cabinet, etc.
My pleasure ;) I think the exa team is small but they are trying their best shou has a very good communication but like they said the most important :

every single member of our team loves and owns arcade games!
zak
Acetated

Post by zak »

Can't fault their post sales support and help. I really hope they succeed and actually help arcade ops make more profit.

I also hope we hear a CAVE announcement soon :shifty:
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

zak wrote: February 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm Just wish we could have a chance to buy the version with slower bullets.
I wish they made a version with less input lag. I'm reading reports of 5 frames even on a CRT (and 6-7 on LCD screens). That's worse than the worst X360 ports (SDOJ, MMP, etc)! One of the main reasons why I shell out big bucks for the CAVE PCBs is the low input lag (just 2 frames of lag in those). No way I'm ever paying big money for an arcade game that has such horrible lag.

(Some people don't care much about lag. I get it. But I'm of a different opinion. It's a big deal to me.)
Website: cave-stg.com | Twitter: @cavexstg | Youtube: eojx9999
Ikaru

Post by Ikaru »

Eoj we know you only like cave :roll: aka2blue is very very fast and I don’t feel any lag with my black diamond if you prefer buy a game with **** box for 4000 dollars it’s your business.the most important is to have fun ;)For example: I don’t like pink sweets (now PS is very expansive)and it’s my business :awe:
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

EOJ wrote: February 6th, 2020, 11:17 pm
zak wrote: February 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm Just wish we could have a chance to buy the version with slower bullets.
I wish they made a version with less input lag. I'm reading reports of 5 frames even on a CRT (and 6-7 on LCD screens). That's worse than the worst X360 ports (SDOJ, MMP, etc)! One of the main reasons why I shell out big bucks for the CAVE PCBs is the low input lag (just 2 frames of lag in those). No way I'm ever paying big money for an arcade game that has such horrible lag.

(Some people don't care much about lag. I get it. But I'm of a different opinion. It's a big deal to me.)
@EOJ Are you still in Japan? We met when GP was still here. I invite you to come over to our office and try every title to see what the input lag is really like. Send me a DM and we can arrange something.

Cabinet monitors, JVS IO boards and each individual game play a factor in the end experience. Optimizing for each piece will give the best experience.

We benchmark on every major modern Japanese cabinet type using M2’s lag calculating setup and will not ship a game that is beyond 4 frames of lag. Our hardware is capable of 2 frames of input lag just like double buffered JAMMA PCBs of the past. Games like Strania EX and Gimmick have already proven that.
A game like Battle Garegga has 4 frames of lag on the original PCB but no Yagawa fan is going to say that is trash because the game is implemented around that so lag isn’t the be all end all in every case.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

I'm not in Japan. Next time I go I will try this game out in the arcades and decide for myself. :awe: Maybe by then CAVE will have released a title for the platform as well. Stopping by the EXA offices would be super cool as well (many thanks for the invite).
Shou wrote: February 7th, 2020, 1:24 am A game like Battle Garegga has 4 frames of lag on the original PCB but no Yagawa fan is going to say that is trash because the game is implemented around that so lag isn’t the be all end all in every case.
4 frames makes sense now: Many years ago I sold my BG PCB partly because I didn't like the floaty feel of the game. It wasn't nearly as "tight" as my CAVE PCBs. Now I know this was the input lag. I guess I'm pretty sensitive to it.
Last edited by EOJ on February 7th, 2020, 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Ikaru wrote: February 7th, 2020, 1:20 am Eoj we know you only like cave :roll:
How would that be relevant to what I posted? For the record, I like plenty of games not made by CAVE (Ikaruga is one of my favorites). And it wouldn't matter to me if aka to blue was made by CAVE or not. My original comment about the input lag would be the same. I have trouble playing the SDOJ X360 port due to the 4-5 frames of lag. The PCB with 2 frames feels much tighter, and I play a lot better on it.

If the lag doesn't bother you, that's great. Have fun!
Ikaru

Post by Ikaru »

EOJ wrote: February 7th, 2020, 1:30 am
How would that be relevant to what I posted? For the record, I like plenty of games not made by CAVE (Ikaruga is one of my favorites). And it wouldn't matter to me if aka to blue was made by CAVE or not. My original comment about the input lag would be the same. I have trouble playing the SDOJ X360 port due to the 4-5 frames of lag. The PCB with 2 frames feels much tighter, and I play a lot better on it.

If the lag doesn't bother you, that's great. Have fun!
Ok ;)
Ikaru wrote: February 7th, 2020, 1:20 am aka2blue is very very fast and I don’t feel any lag with my black diamond
Maybye i’m wrong but like I told you the most important is to have fun.I like ikaruga too one of my favorite game.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Ikaru wrote: February 7th, 2020, 1:32 am I like ikaruga too one of my favorite game.
Right on! :awe: It's all I played from 2002-2004. I still play it once in awhile but I've forgotten all the chains.

(For everyone else: Sorry for the off topic)
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

EOJ wrote: February 7th, 2020, 1:54 am Sorry for the off topic
Not at all.

Nice to hear Shou clear a few things up on the subject because it does evidently matter to a lot of people.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Shou wrote: February 7th, 2020, 1:24 amCabinet monitors, JVS IO boards and each individual game play a factor in the end experience. Optimizing for each piece will give the best experience.

We benchmark on every major modern Japanese cabinet type using M2’s lag calculating setup and will not ship a game that is beyond 4 frames of lag. Our hardware is capable of 2 frames of input lag just like double buffered JAMMA PCBs of the past. Games like Strania EX and Gimmick have already proven that.
A game like Battle Garegga has 4 frames of lag on the original PCB but no Yagawa fan is going to say that is trash because the game is implemented around that so lag isn’t the be all end all in every case.

Monitors and IO boards I can understand, but how I do as the end user optimize the individual game?

Anyway, while Battle Garegga is by no means the gold standard when it comes to input lag, I would love to have A&B atleast perform at that level. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing that here.

Because I remembered you mentioning the fastest JVS IOs at some point, I went through a ton of posts on here and on Shmups. I finally found the post here. However, even armed with a Sega JVS Type 3 and a CRT we're still getting 5 frames. So naturally, I wrote to your support. I would have been perfectly happy with a reply from your support mentioning that the exA is more than capable of hitting two frame responses, and you're talking with Tanoshimasu to try to get A&B performing at that level, and in the mean time, here's the hardware to get the best performance out of the game: [hardware]. But nope. Instead I, in my opinion, got a somewhat condescending reply about how "there is no issue with input lag on our hardware" and how it has been "verified by dozens of Japanese top players who have 1cc’ed this game with no issues".

I don't know, maybe I'm thin skinned, but I read this as you downplaying both my players and the hardware we paired up with the exA. For the record, Zaarock, the only one who decided to stick with the game, lag and all, currently has 18 billion in the game and is well on his way to being the first person to clear the game outside Japan. He really likes the game, but I'm sure he'll be the first to mention the lag affecting the more difficult bullet patterns. As for the hardware, I specifically bought a Vewlix F from Japan because I remember you saying the original Sanwa monitor performs better than any Diamond one you've tested (again, found here), and bought the very latest JVS IO from Taito (which I think they've only been manufacturing for a few months). And just to be mega-sure of everything, we contacted one of the Japanese players that has 1CC'd the game and he agreed that the game doesn't feel as snappy as something like a Cave game and totally got us when we compared it to the lackluster 360 ports.

It's a really cool game, and high-level play looks amazing (would love to stream this on Twitch). I just want to see it perform as good as it can. If I spoke Japanese, I would write to Tanoshimasu. But I don't, and I have a really hard time believing they would give me a second of their time if I wrote to them in English about input lag (honestly, I'm pretty sure they give **** all about the western market).

EDIT: clarification
Last edited by nem on February 7th, 2020, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

FWIW I find the lag on the Raizing titles almost intolerable, it takes a long time to get comfortable with it.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Edits: ignore, it’s stated above BG is 4 frames

What’s rizing, 4 frames?