exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by Jan »

they are not charging me any customs clearing fee with direct debit , so might be something to look into.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
Mantrox
eBay: Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Direct debit? Do you have some sort of service account with them? I'm intrigued.

In Portugal, as far as i am aware, all the major companies require for you to pay for the service of having some one take care of the paperwork necessary to clear customs. Also, the fee is usually a fixed price, whether you are buying 2 pens or a box of 10.000.
You can take care of the paperwork yourself (if you are near the central customs office in the country's capital) like RMRM did many times for example, but the inspectors tend to be far more inquisitive and demanding in terms of the paperwork.

And to top it all off, if the goods that you are sending don't fall under a very specific category defined under the law (and most don't), they pretty much look for the category with the highest tax value and apply that.

This is the major reason i always try to avoid dealing with customs and have sometimes in the past imported stuff, declaring a different value. As a citizen, i want to pay my due taxes, but when the system is completely broken, the only choices are:
- Either you abide, pay ridiculous ammounts and sit pretty waiting.
or
- Don't import anything.

And when we are talking about arcade stuff, this type of stuff quickly turns a good deal into a money pit.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

So the Portuguese version should be a bare system that comes in a bland brown cardboard box without any art etc so that it can be taxed as plain PC parts.
Emulation's nice when done well
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:So the Portuguese version should be a bare system that comes in a bland brown cardboard box without any art etc so that it can be taxed as plain PC parts.
Lol, nahh.
I want what everybody will get. No more, no less.

I thought about contacting Locomalito to see if he is going to buy some, since his game is on the platform and he is from the south of Spain.
It's a long shot, but who knows...
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Personally speaking:

I'm happy to have mine shipped from Japan, assuming the prices worked out about the same, in fact I'd assume it would be more expensive via EU distribution. I would think investing in EU and US distribution would mainly be to the benefit of the local operators and developers.

I would prefer UPS/Fedex over EMS if only because I don't have to wait for the customs charge to arrive by post pre-delivery, but whatever.

I would prefer the Japanese artwork, in keeping with the rest of my collection. By all means do what Capcom did with CPS2 for example, kits suitable for western operators but hideous by comparison to the Japanese ones. :D Collectors versions would presumably ship from the developer's country. Nobody will want an A&B collectors kit with English art.

I assume language would be selectable in the setup menu?
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

Mantrox wrote:Direct debit? Do you have some sort of service account with them? I'm intrigued.

yes sir, call them and ask them to set up an account for you (free), they will send you form in which you agree for them to do the customs clearing in your name for all incoming orders and you are set. Atleast that is what they offer in germany.

At some point i had a lot of ups stuff incoming and they upgraded my account , which gives me 50% off of all return-shipments. Means, if you have a package for me, you can use my ups account for that, you will not have to pay anything and i will only pay 50% of the shipping before gasoline tax.

ps. that is with express saver service only.
Last edited by Jan on February 16th, 2018, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

SuperPang wrote:Personally speaking:

I'm happy to have mine shipped from Japan, assuming the prices worked out about the same, in fact I'd assume it would be more expensive via EU distribution. I would think investing in EU and US distribution would mainly be to the benefit of the local operators and developers.

I would prefer UPS/Fedex over EMS if only because I don't have to wait for the customs charge to arrive by post pre-delivery, but whatever.

I would prefer the Japanese artwork, in keeping with the rest of my collection. By all means do what Capcom did with CPS2 for example, kits suitable for western operators but hideous by comparison to the Japanese ones. :D Collectors versions would presumably ship from the developer's country. Nobody will want an A&B collectors kit with English art.

Same for me Shou :pointup:

Now when do we sign up for that limited collector's edition? ;)
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Locomalito's response:

It seems he made the same interpretation from the annoucements, as i did, indicating that the product would have some sort of European distribution.
As long as the product is the same, i.e. no extras or goodies withhold from the european folks; i am all for european distribution.
SuperPang wrote:Personally speaking:

That's where it gets complicated for me, if there is European distribution, as i prefer the japanese art as well.
But in the end, if it comes to having the board and game with an English poster, or having nothing; of course i would prefer having the stuff, i want to play it!
Jan wrote:yes sir, call them and ask them to set up an account for you (free), they will send you form in which you agree for them to do the customs clearing in your name for all incoming orders and you are set.
Thanks, i'll look into that.
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

I like the hardware and the idea but quite frankly its $2000 (each?) for a bunch of doujin games.. sorry it'll take more to move me im afraid.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

A new Arcade platform which has a team behind it that understands exactly what the players want, and works hard to fullfil that goal, is much more than that.

It could be the springboard to launch a whole new generation of developers and fans.

Sure, it could fail.
But just the attempt makes me want to be a part of it.

Also, the price mentioned was for a motherboard+1 game to be under 2000$.
A single game would be way less than that.
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:So the Portuguese version should be a bare system that comes in a bland brown cardboard box without any art etc so that it can be taxed as plain PC parts.
That would work, just send the artwork separately in an envelope. Once did that with a camera coming from the US - the camera itself had been serviced so I only received the actual body itself, and a friend mailed me the box (flattened), and the cables and accessories in a bubble wrap envelope.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Anyway if it was distributed from within Europe would it need to go to through rating agencies as well or is that limited to home consoles only?
The only way I see this is a release for Japan / Asia with operates from all over the world being able to buy. Let's not kid ourselves here the amount of ops outside of Asia is low enough compared to the old days and the ones into these even lower I'd say. Also hopefully unlike the cave pcbs I presume these will be available over a longer time than those where offered for the fact that should / exa is offering these to collectors also is great

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

Mantrox wrote:A new Arcade platform which has a team behind it that understands exactly what the players want, and works hard to fullfil that goal, is much more than that.

It could be the springboard to launch a whole new generation of developers and fans.

Sure, it could fail.

Well like i said i have no quarrel with the hardware and the thought behind it.
I just think it needs more quality content, not that AB and hydora are bad games but theyre doujin titles and it shows, the arcade-shmups heydays of the 90s where even mediocre games got good sales are long gone.
If you compare it to something like the airframe (which is not too dissimilar of a project), that hardware and exclusive game runs at around $600-700 if memory serves me right.
For $2000 it needs an A+ title for ME to be interested and I think for the community to hold interest aswell, rehashed cellphone/doujin titles will not do no matter how much I like Shou and the premise of the project.
Its a 4slot system so why not make an initial package with 4 games as the first release, AB and hydora are two so just needs another two titles to make a package deal, Id say a puzzle title and a platformer would make a nice compliment to show the diversity of the system and also to broaden the interest in it..

Depends on the buisnessmodel aswell I guess, if the thought is to sell a very limited number of each release and just cater to a few fans and diehards I guess it will suffice as it is..
zak
Acetated

Post by zak »

sven666 wrote:
Mantrox wrote:A new Arcade platform which has a team behind it that understands exactly what the players want, and works hard to fullfil that goal, is much more than that.

Sure, it could fail.

Well like i said i have no quarrel with the hardware and the thought behind it.
I just think it needs more quality content, not that AB and hydora are bad games but theyre doujin titles and it shows, the arcade-shmups heydays of the 90s where even mediocre games got good sales are long gone.
If you compare it to something like the airframe (which is not too dissimilar of a project), that hardware and exclusive game runs at around $600-700 if memory serves me right.
For $2000 it needs an A+ title for ME to be interested and I think for the community to hold interest aswell, rehashed cellphone/doujin titles will not do no matter how much I like Shou and the premise of the project.
Its a 4slot system so why not make an initial package with 4 games as the first release, AB and hydora are two so just needs another two titles to make a package deal, Id say a puzzle title and a platformer would make a nice compliment to show the diversity of the system and also to broaden the interest in it..

Depends on the buisnessmodel aswell I guess, if the thought is to sell a very limited number of each release and just cater to a few fans and diehards I guess it will suffice as it is..
It's not official yet, but I reckon there will be a surprise from CAVE on this Hardware ;)

Let's see what happens in 5 months. I'm still excited about the whole thing.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

zak wrote:It's not official yet, but I reckon there will be a surprise from CAVE on this Hardware ;)
Porting their back catalogue? It's not a PCB, you may as well put a 360 in your cab. :roll:
zak
Acetated

Post by zak »

yosai wrote:
zak wrote:It's not official yet, but I reckon there will be a surprise from CAVE on this Hardware ;)
Porting their back catalogue? It's not a PCB, you may as well put a 360 in your cab. :roll:
Ports are not so exciting. I was thinking a completely new game.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

That would be excellent, and unexpected.
jugemscloud
Monster Basher

Post by jugemscloud »

uk won't even be in europe after about 6 months of this being released :lol: :problem:
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

We are happy to do what’s best for EU residents.

The problem is involving a distributor will just increase your end cost.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Shou wrote:We are happy to do what’s best for EU residents.

The problem is involving a distributor will just increase your end cost.
I don't see a problem with shipping from Japan and have the "art region" selectable at purchase.
Would be great if the actual value of the shippable package can be low for customs reasons ;)