exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by Nomax »

nem wrote: January 8th, 2022, 1:31 pm I think the score rush mode is a bit pants, but yeah, it's a good game.

It's less than 12 euros on Steam if you want to try it out

Thanks! I already have the Steam version. It's playing that version that made me want the exA version. It's to replace Dondonpachi in operation as I believe that Vritra is more casual friendly.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Nomax wrote: January 8th, 2022, 1:51 pmIt's to replace Dondonpachi in operation as I believe that Vritra is more casual friendly.

Absolutely, it's very casual friendly.
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Post by jimmerd »

In the case of Hexa it really is a reworked game, I believe around 12 months development ontop of the steam version?

I also played the original first and enjoyed it despite it being a bit rough around the edges.

As a casual player I find it's somewhere between DariusBurst and RType?

The game does not let you change player direction between left and right like Darius Burst, instead the weapons choices allow for this with various locking and angle modes (based on player movement direction) so you soon forget about it.

Stages are a mix of bright scenic themes such as the forest or ocean with relevant creatures contrasted against plenty of dark grimy deep space based ones and you get to choose your path.

The automatic difficulty adjust (which you get notification of) and rate mechanism lets you improve your ranking without being overly frustrating to the new player.

When viewed in person the animation and refresh rate is ultra smooth and colours really pop out even on a standard 1080p display, for Hexa some of the new shader/effects for lighting and so on are really top level and make good use of the exA GPU. The arranged soundtrack sit's nicely and the absence of any over the top power up call outs or voice acting make it quite a relaxing experience.

One minor improvement might have been that the Caravan 'challenge' mode would offer more than a single stage.
"Please contact the local attendant"
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Post by jimmerd »

Halloween Jack wrote: January 8th, 2022, 1:40 am
Halloween Jack wrote: January 8th, 2022, 1:38 am
Halloween Jack wrote: January 8th, 2022, 1:24 am I have the LE edition of Vritra Hexa with motherboard for sale if anyone fancies some dragon slaying.
UK only though. Brand new and only used a few times. £500 off retail if of interest. Ping me a PM.
Harness not included.

Regards,
HJ

Wow, that would be an amazing deal for somebody.

I believe my LE motherboard was one of the last one's shipped before it went out of stock and based on the number allocated only 10 LE units in total were manufactured.

Of course its possible overseas customers were shipped low numbered units as a bonus and the total production run was higher.
"Please contact the local attendant"
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. ;-)
Neo Gold
eBay: neo$gold
Initials: N$G

Post by Neo Gold »

Yes, cheers for that info.. There's a lot of love for this system and it's my time to invest in a unit!.
WANTED! .. Any Tatty old candy cab!.
Ddshot
eBay: Camp-dea

Post by Ddshot »

Really thinking about getting a exa,is it simple setup on a viewlix diamond?plug and play
RandomRetro
Please Continue...
eBay: carnick10
Initials: RNR

Post by RandomRetro »

Long as you have a jvs IO it is plug and play.
supabok
eBay: superbokbok

Post by supabok »

RandomRetro wrote: January 16th, 2022, 2:00 am Long as you have a jvs IO it is plug and play.
Any recommendations for a JVS I/O for Exa + Viewlix? I'm a viewlix noob and looking to pick up one of each.
On that note, is there a particular Viewlix model favored over another i.e. will a Viewlix F do?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

supabok wrote: January 17th, 2022, 1:42 amAny recommendations for a JVS I/O for Exa + Viewlix?

Nothing wrong with the Taito one.

If your cab doesn't come with one, you can buy it straight from Taito, although not exactly cheap. There are also middlemen selling them (Game Saru had a bunch at some time).

Alternatively, get this:

https://pxlmod.com/products/taito-vewli ... dapter-kit

and pick up a Sega JVS IO from eBay.

supabok wrote: January 17th, 2022, 1:42 am On that note, is there a particular Viewlix model favored over another i.e. will a Viewlix F do?

You'll want to swap the monitor if you get a Vewlix F(C) and L. There are brackets available that you can use to drop in a computer monitor:

https://www.hadouken-arcade.com/collect ... ts/bracket

Even the cheapest 150 USD LG is going to better than the original monitor.

F is technically the most feature rich model, all the subsequent models had cost cutting measures done to them. Up to if you care about chrome bits and some extra lighting.

Personally, I would pick the one that I most like the look of. Vewlixes came in a bunch of different colors.
ArcadeSTG

Post by ArcadeSTG »

nem wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:33 am
supabok wrote: January 17th, 2022, 1:42 am On that note, is there a particular Viewlix model favored over another i.e. will a Viewlix F do?

You'll want to swap the monitor if you get a Vewlix F(C) and L. There are brackets available that you can use to drop in a computer monitor:

F is technically the most feature rich model, all the subsequent models had cost cutting measures done to them. Up to if you care about chrome bits and some extra lighting.

Personally, I would pick the one that I most like the look of. Vewlixes came in a bunch of different colors.
This rings a bell. I remember those recommendations to swap the horrible original monitor of NACs and E2s with a gorgeous new VGA monitor. Time proved them very wrong.

Please, keep your cabs as original as possible. There are plenty of options to go before modifying a cab.

As for the features of Vewlix models:
A piece of Akihabara in your Home?
http://akihabarainhome.com
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It's in no way comparable.

LCD tech in 2007 was trash with fluorescent tube backlighting, poor color reproduction and high input lag. None of the games are 768p, so that point is moot as well. Then you can add 15 years of use that has dimmed the fluorescent tubes and made the diffuser films yellow.

PS. viewtopic.php?t=42425
ArcadeSTG

Post by ArcadeSTG »

As I said, this rings a bell :lol:

People, like you are doing now, said a lot of bad things about the monitors of NACs and E2 at that moment. Again, time prove them very wrong. 8-)
A piece of Akihabara in your Home?
http://akihabarainhome.com
Ddshot
eBay: Camp-dea

Post by Ddshot »

So is the viewlix diamond black good for the exa then nem?i read some where diamond blue is not sutible is this true
Buddyc
eBay: haver-san
Initials: BAD

Post by Buddyc »

Ddshot wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:47 pm So is the viewlix diamond black good for the exa then nem?i read some where diamond blue is not sutible is this true
As long as you get a Vewlix with a Taito JVS IO, You are good to go. Fast IO does not work.

I have a Diamond Black with a Taito JVS IO and Exa is plug n’ play.
Looks great and plays great!
supabok
eBay: superbokbok

Post by supabok »

nem wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:33 am
supabok wrote: January 17th, 2022, 1:42 amAny recommendations for a JVS I/O for Exa + Viewlix?

Nothing wrong with the Taito one.

If your cab doesn't come with one, you can buy it straight from Taito, although not exactly cheap. There are also middlemen selling them (Game Saru had a bunch at some time).

Alternatively, get this:

https://pxlmod.com/products/taito-vewli ... dapter-kit

and pick up a Sega JVS IO from eBay.

Thank you @nem :thumbup: :thumbupright:
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

ArcadeSTG wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:44 pm As I said, this rings a bell :lol:

People, like you are doing now, said a lot of bad things about the monitors of NACs and E2 at that moment. Again, time prove them very wrong. 8-)
I agree with you about keeping things original where possible, but to be fair there are too many differences to draw a parallel to the poor choice of misfitting 29" CRT options. It's just not the same.
trap15
Please Continue...
eBay: trap0xf
Initials: TRP

Post by trap15 »

Gotta say I'd rather take the option with a few milliseconds of lag over the option with a few frames of lag, even aside from all the other considerations that make upgrading the LCDs a better option than leaving them with the bottom of the barrel original panels. You cannot compare LCD upgrading to CRT replacement.
Daifukkat.su Blog | Twitter
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

Regarding LCD monitors, I am one of those who prefer to keep the original screen (or replace it with one from a newer cabinet).

You can buy any modern PC monitor or TV with a fantastic picture and low latency, there is something that it will probably don't have, it's what I call "the arcade look".

Let me explain, we had bought a Lindbergh cabinet with the screen replaced by a Samsung monitor with a better image than the original screen. But compared to our Vewlix F and Noir HD cabinets with original screens, the picture is different, sharper and more aggressive. Arcade screens have a softer image. It's more pleasing to the eye and allows for longer play sessions. It's hard to explain, you really have to see the two side by side to realise it.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Nomax wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:29 am Regarding LCD monitors, I am one of those who prefer to keep the original screen (or replace it with one from a newer cabinet).

You can buy any modern PC monitor or TV with a fantastic picture and low latency, there is something that it will probably don't have, it's what I call "the arcade look".

Let me explain, we had bought a Lindbergh cabinet with the screen replaced by a Samsung monitor with a better image than the original screen. But compared to our Vewlix F and Noir HD cabinets with original screens, the picture is different, sharper and more aggressive. Arcade screens have a softer image. It's more pleasing to the eye and allows for longer play sessions. It's hard to explain, you really have to see the two side by side to realise it.
The Lindbergh glass monitor protector still present or removed? It's thick and frosted...