exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by CTN »

Aren't the shapes itself part of the TM?
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Post by Nomax »

CTN wrote: August 19th, 2021, 9:17 pm Aren't the shapes itself part of the TM?
Pretty sure they were at some point. But I don't know if it's still the case.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

TTC actively owns the Tetromino shapes in Tetris.

Arika is not likely to do arcade anymore after the rampant piracy of their last 2 titles.
They struggled to pay for the TGM3 lot themselves only to see that the game was widely pirated even to this day in all of those multis.
Once they saw Fighting EX Layer on Nesica 2 being pirated so blatantly, they lost motivation for the arcade market.

That's the real cost of piracy, in this case, the loss of TGM4.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

zak wrote: August 19th, 2021, 5:23 pm I wish Mr Driller Exa would happen.
Most want Tekken for a namco title but you want Mr. Driller - reminds me of what happened on Dreamcast.
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

Shou wrote: August 20th, 2021, 4:35 am
Most want Tekken for a namco title but you want Mr. Driller - reminds me of what happened on Dreamcast.
That the Dreamcast got Mr Driller instead of Tekken? But they got a "better than the arcade" version of Soul Calibur... Pretty sure that Sony did all they could to keep home versions of Tekken and Ridge Racer exclusive to their consoles.

A new arcade edition of Soul Calibur on exA would be great. IMHO, Soul Calibur III Arcade Edition is the all time best in the series (too bad they ditched the FMV intro in that version...) On the other hand, I was not impressed by Soul Calibur VI and its blurry backgrounds.
aerobert
eBay: romajoh

Post by aerobert »

Shou wrote: August 20th, 2021, 4:20 am TTC actively owns the Tetromino shapes in Tetris.

Arika is not likely to do arcade anymore after the rampant piracy of their last 2 titles.
They struggled to pay for the TGM3 lot themselves only to see that the game was widely pirated even to this day in all of those multis.
Once they saw Fighting EX Layer on Nesica 2 being pirated so blatantly, they lost motivation for the arcade market.

It's a sad truth, but to be honest they have all the resources left from TGM2015. Replace some graphics and port it for EXA, call it TGM Exa. Boom done.

The work is already done. Make those hours count and use it.
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

aerobert wrote: August 20th, 2021, 8:29 am
Shou wrote: August 20th, 2021, 4:20 am TTC actively owns the Tetromino shapes in Tetris.

It's a sad truth, but to be honest they have all the resources left from TGM2015. Replace some graphics and port it for EXA, call it TGM Exa. Boom done.

The work is already done. Make those hours count and use it.
You're right, it would be awesome and most of the work is already done. Unfortunately, wouldn't the Tetris license be too expensive?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Piracy wasn't a thing when TGM3 came out in 2005.

Would be interesting to know what the sales figures for 2 and 3 are and how they compare. I have no doubt that 2 sold better. Putting the game on the Type X was certainly a mistake.
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

I cant remember exactly but wasent it really hard to run a tgm3 setup before it got hacked?

Similar to the flower servers of several music games?

Its greed disguised as anti-piracy and that will always eat itself.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Tekken is Virtua Fighter for simpletons. Give me Mr. Driller any day.

I think we all need to curb our expectations until Covid is in the rear view mirror and the remainder of the Japanese arcade industry can be dusted off from the rubble.
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

nem wrote: August 20th, 2021, 12:55 pm Putting the game on the Type X was certainly a mistake.
Agreed, if they're bitter they have only themselves to blame.

SuperPang wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:21 pm Tekken is Virtua Fighter for simpletons.
JFC :lol: :lol: :lol:
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Shou wrote: August 20th, 2021, 4:35 am
I can dream ;) I shouldn't really, as there are plenty of Exa titles I still need to buy.
jase

Post by jase »

RandomRetro wrote: August 17th, 2021, 3:58 pm Definitely recommend SBP Madelyn. Though scoring is a bit wonky. Not super RNG heavy so makes it easier to clear once you put some time into the game, and progression and level variance keeps you engaged. Haven't played it on a CRT, but may need to test that out and see how if looks and feels.
Thanks for the impressions, SBP Madelyn is on my radar and will probably be my next Exa title. I love the theme and pixel art, I think it looks great. :)
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

Here are 2 announcements:

1. Bundle offers will be discontinued on September 1st (not only at Red Sun Systems but at exA's webshop too):
Red Sun Systems wrote: For the time being, you get a discount by buying an exA-Arcadia system and a game together. Due to the rising prices of electronic components, this discount will no longer be applied as of September 1st, 2021. As a result, the bundle offers will disappear. If you plan to buy an exA-Arcadia system, it is therefore worthwhile to order it before this date. Thank you for your understanding.
2. We are running a group purchase of exA-Arcadia street signs. The height is 87cm. The sign is powered by a fluorescent tube (like old Japanese signs) and can be ordered in either 50Hz or 60Hz. Voltage is 100v.
The goal is to order more than 10 of them to get a discount. If we don't reach that amount, the price will be €653.60 ex-VAT per unit (€790.86 inc. VAT) + shipping from Belgium (€7.20 to Belgium, €16.40 to France, Germany, The Netherlands / €49.20 to the UK, Spain, Italy, Finland, ...)

This is the price for people living in Europe, as this ships from Belgium. Price includes the $210 shipping cost from Japan to Europe. For people outside of Europe, we will have it shipped to them directly for $550 + shipping cost from Japan. Price will be lower if we get more than 10 orders.

Deadline for this group order is Sunday, September 5th, 2021.

Please send me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited by Nomax on August 22nd, 2021, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

Nomax wrote: August 19th, 2021, 8:48 pmThat's why the last one was called "The Grand Master" (without the "Tetris" branding).
That was just a working title because they hadn't secured the rights at that point.
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

TGM Exa! TGM Exa! TGM Exa! *chants*
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

mufunyo wrote: August 21st, 2021, 7:16 pm
Nomax wrote: August 19th, 2021, 8:48 pmThat's why the last one was called "The Grand Master" (without the "Tetris" branding).
That was just a working title because they hadn't secured the rights at that point.
That was my conclusion too. But would Arika have had the resources to pay for the licence?
aerobert wrote: August 21st, 2021, 10:45 pm TGM Exa! TGM Exa! TGM Exa! *chants*
I'm all for it too. I really hope that they'll manage to sort something out.
But they'll have to make sure to include a novice mode for casual locations, so the game doesn't become hardcore too quickly.
aerobert

Post by aerobert »

Do it Cave style. "Regular" mode is casual, then you have to select the classic original modes but you are met with warnings you need to confirm first. 8-)
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

aerobert wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 1:26 pm Do it Cave style. "Regular" mode is casual, then you have to select the classic original modes but you are met with warnings you need to confirm first. 8-)
Good idea!
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

Nomax wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:36 amThat was my conclusion too. But would Arika have had the resources to pay for the licence?
Arika is a small developer, not a publisher. They've almost always secured the rights through a publisher; Capcom for TGM1, Psikyo for TAP, Taito for Ti, AQ Interactive for TGM: ACE and Nintendo for Tetris 99. Tetris with Cardcaptor Sakura is the only odd one out which appears to have been self-published but it could be funding for the licence was secured through CLAMP and/or Sony. TGM4 was slated to be published by Sega but Sega instead opted to use their exclusive arcade licence for Tetris Dekaris instead, which was the main reason TGM4 didn't come out following JAEPO 2009 despite development being almost completed at that point.

Arika is currently in negotiations with an unknown party to release a home port collection of one or more of the older TGM titles, but details are vague and it doesn't seem like there's much progress.