exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by Shou »

Jan wrote: September 9th, 2019, 7:25 pm
It’s on a cabinet basis for the period we do a test in a given location.
Ok, but then it is not really surprising that the EXA Cab will generate more (single cab based) income when you only have one, while let say Tekken 7 FR R2 runs on 10 or more cabs. :think:
As an arcade owner, you look at how much revenue you’re generating for the real estate and cost of the machine. If there are 10 T7 machines which each require their own PCB, network and have 40%+ revenue share but it’s gross income per machine is 1000 yen per day when 1 EXA cabinet is netting you 20x that then that would make you think on how to optimize your income.

Gundam EX VS2 costs 55,000 USD but makes less than one EXA game which costs less than 10% of that. Not sure why this isn’t surprising. Hit franchises are being toppled by an unknown newcomer where all of the big boys like Taito and Namco are buying from us.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

zak wrote: September 9th, 2019, 6:36 pm I'm guessing that all of these kits wil be reprinted once they sell out.

I assume by "limited" you mean on initial release?

Also well done for making this new Hardware and wrangling so many developers :thumbup: I imagine this wasn't an easy venture.
Depends upon the game but we have a limited production number. There’s much more to come.
finisterre
Banned
eBay: nunya
Initials: KF

Post by finisterre »

Shou wrote: September 9th, 2019, 5:07 pm
Unknownsou wrote: September 6th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Shou wrote: September 6th, 2019, 5:58 am
Yes, a limited lot will go up for Western consumers soon. Due to overwhelming demand from Japanese operators including the big chains, all quantities will be very limited.
Great, so we getting stiffed here *again* cuz all the money is in Japan? laaaaaame.

So I guess the *direction* has changed a bit since the 'Arcade Heroes Interview With Exa-Arcadia CEO Eric "ShouTime" Chung?'

Not so much "in tune" with your goals to "provide [us] with something the players want... making sure our games can engage your customer base" (here in the US) any more?

"We want to make it easy for US operators..."

Guess it really is more about "the problems in Japan", and less so "trying to change that so any operator, and any individual"is empowered, and "fixing problems in the ecosystem" eh? :/

Seems you've slipped into the revenue trap yourself. Alas... I digress with this unpopular opine.
Last edited by finisterre on September 10th, 2019, 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Jeez, give the guy a chance. If the first production run is limited of course Japanese operators are going to get priority.
finisterre
Banned

Post by finisterre »

SuperPang wrote: September 10th, 2019, 3:33 pm Jeez, give the guy a chance. If the first production run is limited of course Japanese operators are going to get priority.
"of course"... :roll:

I'm big on accountability to how folks market things. The message changed, that is ok. I was just pointing it out.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

'Murkuh first!
finisterre
Banned

Post by finisterre »

SuperPang wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:32 pm'Murkuh first!
Oddly enough I was going to also point out the "EU" was also mentioned in a similar light... similarly not getting anything but "limited" distribution as well I assume.

We are *all* lumped together as "buyers outside of Japan" awaiting distribution in our "region" none the less.
:D
Unknownsou
eBay: unknownsou630
Initials: VAG

Post by Unknownsou »

On the note of regions, are Exa games going to follow the NG model of having all regional variants on the same cart? Probably doesn't really matter one way or the other, in practice, since I suspect we're mostly past the point of there being differences in difficulty/violence between JP and World versions.
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

I know the UK doesn’t account for all of Europe, but I reckon the number of Arcades here that would be interested in purchasing this is in single digits. Possibly only Andy at Arcade Club. I can see why Europe is not a priority if this is repeated across the continent.
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Post by jimmerd »

Testing the first production batch in the home market and intended operating environment has many benefits, not least any minor snagging issues can resolved.

Typically where you have a distributor arrangement you can't offer fixed availability or purchase price.

Show Me Holdings Co is acting as the distributor for overseas sales.

I wonder if HK Legend will be stocking exA, I guess that's another option that might become available?
"Please contact the local attendant"
finisterre
Banned

Post by finisterre »

jimmerd wrote: September 10th, 2019, 10:07 pm Testing the first production batch in the home market and intended operating environment has many benefits, not least any minor snagging issues can resolved.

Typically where you have a distributor arrangement you can't offer fixed availability or purchase price.

Show Me Holdings Co is acting as the distributor for overseas sales.

I wonder if HK Legend will be stocking exA, I guess that's another option that might become available?
Indeed... all I'm saying is the wax poetry was cute during initial marketing phases. Now that the crows have come to roost a bit it is fair to point out. As I said before it is OK to waver a bit from one of the original messages "We want to make it easy for US operators". While talking about how "Hit franchises are being toppled by an unknown newcomer" it is easy to see where the profit motives lay.

Simply put US and UK small fish don't appear to *actually* be on the menu in any scalable fashion. "fixing problems in the ecosystem" is a apparently Japan thing... I'd guess because that is where the ¥ is. Sorry for stating the obvious. There was a lot of wax poetry in some of the interviews I heard... the impossible to obtain pre-order thing has been done many times around in other industries. #Unobtainium
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Does any of this matter? A few years back most of us would import CAVE kits directly from Japan on release. In some ways this is much easier now, especially with members like rancor acting as middle man.
Ikaru

Post by Ikaru »

I guess you need an internet connection for EXA like nesica No? Hard to compare with Cave kits.

zak wrote: September 10th, 2019, 10:43 pm Does any of this matter? A few years back most of us would import CAVE kits directly from Japan on release. In some ways this is much easier now, especially with members like rancor acting as middle man.

I heard exa wants to be like snk with neo geo .....if it’s very limited....or Japan only good luck for them.
finisterre
Banned

Post by finisterre »

Ikaru wrote: September 10th, 2019, 11:52 pm I heard exa wants to be like snk with neo geo .....if it’s very limited....or Japan only good luck for them.
All the while hype men ("I know I'm shilling a bit" 8:15 into video) out here pushing that it is "specifically designed to address this issue & challenge Japanese, US, and European operators have"

In reality... the message conflicts with the strong rank of "The Decline of Japanese Arcades & The Rise of exA-Arcadia"
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62880

"Japanese arcades are considered to be the evergreen mecca of the industry" after all... :shifty:

Exa "aims to rejuvenate arcades on a global scale", but state sales are limited cuz Japan market is so dank... #SeemsLegit

"For the United States, we already met with Dave & Buster’s." <--- this speaks volumes...
http://shmupemall.com/interviews/interv ... 19145.html
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

C‘mon guys, you are complaining that you have to wait a tad bit longer? How long did it take to get Nesica at Round1 in the US?
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

You can really tell when someone has no experience of organising and executing a project from start to finish. :roll:

Why not just support the exA and the effort put into it? I understand it's "cool" to criticise big name gaming companies in some circles, but when you do it for smaller operators who are willing to communicate it's evidently more personal and makes you look like a total dick.
gozaimas
eBay: yodamiffy
Initials: GOZ

Post by gozaimas »

getting away from this sort of entitled gamer bull*hit is a big part of the reason I play arcade games as a hobby and steer clear of the Steam forums or whatever.

I get that people are excited and invested, but this is a start-up trying to get a modest project up and running in an extremely challenging/ declining industry. You don't need to go all caped-consumer-advocacy-superhero on them. They're not Activision. Be patient and supportive.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Ikaru wrote: September 10th, 2019, 11:52 pm I guess you need an internet connection for EXA like nesica No? Hard to compare with Cave kits.
It's offline as far as I'm aware, but has potential update functionality. Shou can confirm.
Dache

Post by Dache »

To me it sounds like the concern is that people overseas are going to miss out on the desirable early games like A&B if they end up being super-limited and won't be reprinted as Shou suggested.

This **** is hard, I can understand why non-Japanese sales are going to be small at first if Japanese demand is so high, but it'd suck for later games (say 6+ months to a year after the first release) to be easy to buy and fairly priced, but the first games that people missed out on start demanding 2x the price and can't be found because the distribution wasn't possible right away and there won't be second runs. Imagine if we end up in a world where the Cave shmup is obtainable whenever you wanted but the non-Cave shmup wasn't? :awe:

But the issue is moot if second runs do happen, and tbh I don't see why they can't after the initial rush if the system is as modular as promised. The data isn't going anywhere, the 'carts' would still be being produced, and demand can easily be tested via pre-orders if it had to.
Ikaru

Post by Ikaru »

zak wrote: September 11th, 2019, 11:00 am
It's offline as far as I'm aware, but has potential update functionality. Shou can confirm.
I guess too you need a world version for update .