exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Aurich

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by Aurich »

trap15 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 5:37 am Gotta say I'd rather take the option with a few milliseconds of lag over the option with a few frames of lag
Me too. New tech definitely beats the old Vewlix monitors. As a point of clarity I've never seen one with "a few frames" of lag, but certainly slightly over a single frame.

A few frames would be truly miserable though.
trap15
Please Continue...
eBay: trap0xf
Initials: TRP

Post by trap15 »

I'm pretty sure the Vewlix L monitors are 2 frames or more, they're absolutely miserable. Never benchmarked one though, but I would be extremely interested in doing so. I can let folks slide on leaving a Vewlix F monitor or whatnot, but I think L is so bad that you basically need to replace it to have any fun on it :lol:
Daifukkat.su Blog | Twitter
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go
Aurich

Post by Aurich »

trap15 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 4:58 pm I'm pretty sure the Vewlix L monitors are 2 frames or more, they're absolutely miserable. Never benchmarked one though, but I would be extremely interested in doing so. I can let folks slide on leaving a Vewlix F monitor or whatnot, but I think L is so bad that you basically need to replace it to have any fun on it :lol:
I tried to test my Blue Diamond screen and I couldn't get a reading through the frosted glass on the front, and was too lazy to take the whole thing apart just to lag test. So I split a signal to another screen I could lag test with my sensor, and shot high speed video of them both to try and compare.

From looking at the footage and having numbers from one screen I was able to get a reasonable guess number of 18-20ms of lag on the Vewlix IPS screen.

Not awful, but definitely a frame worse than a proper modern gaming monitor.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

cools wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:47 am
Nomax wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:29 am Regarding LCD monitors, I am one of those who prefer to keep the original screen (or replace it with one from a newer cabinet).

You can buy any modern PC monitor or TV with a fantastic picture and low latency, there is something that it will probably don't have, it's what I call "the arcade look".

Let me explain, we had bought a Lindbergh cabinet with the screen replaced by a Samsung monitor with a better image than the original screen. But compared to our Vewlix F and Noir HD cabinets with original screens, the picture is different, sharper and more aggressive. Arcade screens have a softer image. It's more pleasing to the eye and allows for longer play sessions. It's hard to explain, you really have to see the two side by side to realise it.
The Lindbergh glass monitor protector still present or removed? It's thick and frosted...
The Noir has one of these too, I replaced the monitor in mine to a modern LG but do admit the original Wei ya which I still have had a certain patina that was not unpleasant.
Last edited by thegreathopper on January 18th, 2022, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Sounds like an expensive tv-pedestal :mad:
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

arcnl wrote: January 18th, 2022, 6:40 pm Sounds like an expensive tv-pedestal :mad:
Our hobby in a nutshell.
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Post by Nomax »

cools wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:47 am The Lindbergh glass monitor protector still present or removed? It's thick and frosted...
It's still there, but the picture doesn't have the same look.

There's also another issue; being a TV, the infrared receiver is hidden behind the bezel, so you can't use the remote control to access picture settings.
On arcade monitors, controls are deported to an easily accessible external command.
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

trap15 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 4:58 pm I'm pretty sure the Vewlix L monitors are 2 frames or more, they're absolutely miserable. Never benchmarked one though, but I would be extremely interested in doing so. I can let folks slide on leaving a Vewlix F monitor or whatnot, but I think L is so bad that you basically need to replace it to have any fun on it :lol:
L's are awful, the only neat thing about them is you can set it to 4:3. L and L ami should be upgraded as soon as you get them.
astrodan88
Please Continue...
eBay: astrodan88
Initials: ARK

Post by astrodan88 »

While on the subject, does anyone have any recommendations for preferred replacements for the Vewlix L? I have a pair that need replacing; intend to use them as full time Exa set-ups. Just hoping for suggestions from those who might have done it recently. Appreciate any input.
ArcadeSTG

Post by ArcadeSTG »

For me, this hobby is about getting as much fidelity as possible to the original experience. This means, keeping cabs as original as possible (and even try to to match cabs and systems as much as possible).
To be honest, I think that AO is the home for those that think like me in this regard.

Others might understand the hobby in a complete different way.

As for Exa, after ¿two? (inconsistent) official listings of cab recommendations for the system, I still do not get what is the preferred cab for the Exa. I was under the impression that it should be Vewlix DB but pictures of locations tests/showrooms/HEY show other vewlix models.
A piece of Akihabara in your Home?
http://akihabarainhome.com
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

astrodan88 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 3:51 am While on the subject, does anyone have any recommendations for preferred replacements for the Vewlix L? I have a pair that need replacing; intend to use them as full time Exa set-ups. Just hoping for suggestions from those who might have done it recently. Appreciate any input.
If you want to go the easy way, Taito's official drop-in replacement is the N94R0500A which is a very good 1080p monitor (better than the one equipping the Vewlix DIA Black) and is very easy to install. It also has 4:3 mode and supports VGA, DVI and HDMI). It's pricey though, so we recently organized a group buy through Red Sun Systems to get a discount. It was a success so we might organize another one shortly. Please send me a PM if you're interested (we have it shipped directly from Japan to the USA but you benefit from the discount thanks to the group buy). Approx. 20 units remain.

Otherwise you can install any 32" monitor or TV. It will be a lot cheaper but will require some adaptation and won't be as practical if you need to mess with the picture settings.
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

ArcadeSTG wrote: January 19th, 2022, 10:04 amAs for Exa, after ¿two? (inconsistent) official listings of cab recommendations for the system, I still do not get what is the preferred cab for the Exa. I was under the impression that it should be Vewlix DB but pictures of locations tests/showrooms/HEY show other vewlix models.
Hey is doing with what they have on the floor.

About the perfect cabinet for exA usage, I think it's really down to the monitor. exA games have very low input delay so they play great even with the slowest JVS I/O board.
Ddshot
eBay: Camp-dea

Post by Ddshot »

So what is the fastest io?the exa io or which version of taito io
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I would be surprised if the monitors used for the location tests aren't the better spec ones. I think all the cabs in WGC were upgraded as well.
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

Ddshot wrote: January 19th, 2022, 12:20 pm So what is the fastest io?the exa io or which version of taito io
exA I/O board is the fastest but is currently unavailable.

Namco Noir and Sega Lindbergh's I/O boards are faster than the Vewlix ones. I don't know how fare APM3 cabinets.

As to which Taito I/O is the best, @Shou could probably answer this.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Ddshot wrote: January 19th, 2022, 12:20 pm So what is the fastest io?the exa io or which version of taito io
You won't need to worry about that with the DB monitor. Any model of the Taito JVS I/O will suffice. Simplest setup too.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

SuperPang wrote: January 19th, 2022, 12:52 pm
You won't need to worry about that with the DB monitor. Any model of the Taito JVS I/O will suffice. Simplest setup too.
Awsome thanks for all the input 👍
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

All of Taito Hey’s cabinets with an exA-Arcadia in it has either the Diamond Black or 2019 Taito Tech replacement monitor in them.

At Club Exa (WGC), all Vewlix cabs have been upgraded to the 2019 Taito Tech monitors, Noirs are the blue 1080p monitors and Lindberghs are upgraded to the 1080p monitors from Chunithm.

If you’re not linking cabinets, any of the LCD cabinet JVS IO boards will be fine.

On Taito JVS IOs, just insure that your PSU is outputting a consistent +12v to power the IO board. We have seen brownouts on older Vewlix models which will cause an IO error so just get a multimeter out and measure what is going into the IO then adjust as needed.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Thanks for feed back,just ordered exa system and true death label!hyped can’t wait!
mbandala
eBay: manuelbandal-0
Initials: MBS

Post by mbandala »

Hi - Does the exA-Arcadia system work with a EUR SCART CRT? Cheers.