exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by Nomax »

kernow wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 10:14 pm Holy **** that's a lawsuit waiting to happen
If there was to be lawsuit, I think it would have happened already with the home version of this game.
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

kernow wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:32 pm
Nomax wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 10:58 pm
kernow wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 10:14 pm Holy **** that's a lawsuit waiting to happen
If there was to be lawsuit, I think it would have happened already with the home version of this game.
Is the home version the same but £3 not £3000
The arcade version is vastly different; it has been reprogrammed entirely with different gameplay, new AI, new levels, new enemies, new art and new music. It's really not the same game anymore. And the price is closer to £1000 than to £3000.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I have a copy for Switch, I've not seen the second level yet. 1st boss kicks my **** and there are no checkpoints, straight back to the beginning of the level on each life.

I may be doing something wrong. Looks, sounds, plays gorgeous.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Can someone with multiple carts explain to me how game switching works on the exA? There's no mention of it in the manual.

How do you return back to game selection after booting up a game? Does it return after every credit, after some time has passed without player interaction, or is there a button combo? I know there are some different settings, but does any of them actually work? Looking at pics of setups in Japan all of the cabs seem to be just running one game.

I'm just thinking of the different options in my head and honestly they all kind of suck (unless I'm missing something). The best option would be a dedicated 'Home' button IMO. Most JVS IOs have plenty of inputs.

I know loading is an issue too with game switching.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Nomax wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:07 am
Nomax wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 10:58 pm

The arcade version is vastly different; it has been reprogrammed entirely with different gameplay, new AI, new levels, new enemies, new art and new music. It's really not the same game anymore. And the price is closer to £1000 than to £3000.
the changes you mention are the changes between the kickstarter edition and the "royal edition". In what way does the exa version differ from the royal edition?
needaes
eBay: need40180

Post by needaes »

nem wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:34 am Can someone with multiple carts explain to me how game switching works on the exA? There's no mention of it in the manual.

How do you return back to game selection after booting up a game? Does it return after every credit, after some time has passed without player interaction, or is there a button combo? I know there are some different settings, but does any of them actually work? Looking at pics of setups in Japan all of the cabs seem to be just running one game.

I'm just thinking of the different options in my head and honestly they all kind of suck (unless I'm missing something). The best option would be a dedicated 'Home' button IMO. Most JVS IOs have plenty of inputs.

I know loading is an issue too with game switching.
hi Nem, on my mother board it’s same multi X3
5/10mn without playaing you recome on charge game menu
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

@nem The system boots back to the game select screen after a game's attract mode has been running for a few minutes (5 i think). You can force it back to the menu by holding A + Start for 15 seconds as well.

Loading times are pretty quick with the games I have. A&B is by far the slowest. Loading times were supposedly improved with v1.3.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

I can confirm that loading times are much quicker now.
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

zak wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:32 pm I can confirm that loading times are much quicker now.
I second that!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Thanks guys. Time out and Start + A is decent (15 seconds though :wtf:). Home button would be the best, but I can live with the two options.

SuperPang wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:27 pmLoading times are pretty quick with the games I have. A&B is by far the slowest. Loading times were supposedly improved with v1.3.

Did you have a 1.3 yet?
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

nem wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 3:24 pm Did you have a 1.3 yet?
I have version 1.3 but latest version is 1.4. This one brings cosmetic changes to the interface only and no speed up though.
RandomRetro
Please Continue...
eBay: carnick10
Initials: RNR

Post by RandomRetro »

Nomax wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 5:12 pm
I have version 1.3 but latest version is 1.4. This one brings cosmetic changes to the interface only and no speed up though.
What is the easiest way for people to check their exA system version?
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

RandomRetro wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 5:21 pmWhat is the easiest way for people to check their exA system version?
Enter test mode when the game selection menu is displayed.
System version number is written in the bottom-right corner of the screen if I remember correctly.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Strania unit is 1.3. Vanilla 1.4 arriving back this week.
RandomRetro
Please Continue...

Post by RandomRetro »

arcnl wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:40 am
Nomax wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:07 am

the changes you mention are the changes between the kickstarter edition and the "royal edition". In what way does the exa version differ from the royal edition?
Not sure the differences myself, but interested to know what changed. The exA clips look good, and hope it gets better reviews compared to console/steam releases.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

SuperPang wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:27 pm @nem The system boots back to the game select screen after a game's attract mode has been running for a few minutes (5 i think). You can force it back to the menu by holding A + Start for 15 seconds as well.
If the game is on free play then it takes 15 seconds. You wouldn’t want your game to accidentally end if you hit start + button 1.

If the game is on coin play and no credits are in the machine then the exit is instant.

For games with auto quit on, they will go back to the menu automatically after being idle for 5 minutes.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Shou wrote: November 24th, 2020, 7:39 am You wouldn’t want your game to accidentally end if you hit start + button 1.
It could be added in to the game code that the time needed for the button combo is shorter during the attract sequence. So during attract you could exit in, say, 3 seconds?

Anyway, could you think about the possibility of adding a home button? I know some IOs might not be able to support it, but I don't see that as a problem. Most Sega IOs have 7 buttons per player (plus start), Vewlix IOs have 8 I think. Those who have the hardware and wanted to rig up an additional button could do so.

There's also the possibility of using a combo of simultaneous left and right inputs (so impossible to actually do on a stick) which could be wired to a button. I think that's what Sega uses on All.Net?
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

nem wrote: November 24th, 2020, 10:13 am
There's also the possibility of using a combo of simultaneous left and right inputs (so impossible to actually do on a stick) which could be wired to a button. I think that's what Sega uses on All.Net?
Sega use Up+Down, this confused me no end when I was wiring up my Lindbergh panel :)
RandomRetro
Please Continue...

Post by RandomRetro »

Nomax wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 5:34 pm
RandomRetro wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 5:21 pmWhat is the easiest way for people to check their exA system version?
Enter test mode when the game selection menu is displayed.
System version number is written in the bottom-right corner of the screen if I remember correctly.
I can confirm, version is displayed in bottom right corner of game select (Exa System) test menu.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

nem wrote: November 24th, 2020, 10:13 am
Shou wrote: November 24th, 2020, 7:39 am You wouldn’t want your game to accidentally end if you hit start + button 1.
It could be added in to the game code that the time needed for the button combo is shorter during the attract sequence. So during attract you could exit in, say, 3 seconds?

Anyway, could you think about the possibility of adding a home button? I know some IOs might not be able to support it, but I don't see that as a problem. Most Sega IOs have 7 buttons per player (plus start), Vewlix IOs have 8 I think. Those who have the hardware and wanted to rig up an additional button could do so.

No, that means every released game needs to be reprogrammed.

APM3 uses 2P Button 5 for their Home since you cannot play locally with 2 players on it.

Not all JVS IOs have the extra buttons and it is not standard for JAMMA cabs so we decided against that long ago.