The House of the Dead 1

Coin-operated games and arcades.
ConversusWV
eBay: paul_prosser
Initials: PAU

The House of the Dead 1

Post by ConversusWV »

Hey everyone!
On the introductions thread, I mentioned House of the Dead is one of my favorite arcade games of all time. One deeming quality of the game is its legendary soundtrack, which many could argue the home versions had better quality.

Is there anybody on here who owns the arcade board or cabinet and a capture card? Because I have desperately searching for an authentic rip of the music from the test menu on HotD, and was wondering if anyone could provide me a rip.
I've played it on the Model 2 Emulator, and the audio on stage 2, the boss music and Magician theme songs have never sounded correct. Unfortunately, I believe the emulator author (ElSemi) was hired at SEGA, so he had to cease further development of the emulator. I've got a rip of Harley-Davidson & L.A. Riders (courtesy of uncletom1971) from the Model 3 board, but this is another game I've been interested in.

Here's a decent comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RgXbb3ne24 (the Chapter 2 music recorded from Model 2 emulator)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIVa53_NLLI (14:33 for the same music)
So I was wondering if anyone has the actual hardware/cab for the game and could record the sounds out of the test mode. I think the music deserves to be listened to in its full glory.

Cheers! :)

- Paul
Spectrexcwk
Please Continue...
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Re: The House of the Dead 1

Post by Spectrexcwk »

Might want to see if the game is supported in bridgem1. http://www.e2j.net/downloads.html. If it is, the emulation is excellent.
Spectrexcwk
Please Continue...

Post by Spectrexcwk »

I forgot all about this post and recently found myself looking for the song too.

For the benefit of future searches:

Saturn version here - vgm.hcs64.com

Arcade Version - Use bridgem1 - I checked, it works. If anything it's preferable to actual hardware as you bypass any cheap audio components and get a clean digital signal.
Awbacon
Please Continue...
eBay: Awbacon
Initials: Aeb

Post by Awbacon »

HotD has such a great soundtrack. Good luck with th hunt
Awbacon
Please Continue...

Post by Awbacon »

Spectrexcwk wrote:I forgot all about this post and recently found myself looking for the song too.

Arcade Version - Use bridgem1 - I checked, it works. If anything it's preferable to actual hardware as you bypass any cheap audio components and get a clean digital signal.
Good thing the Saturn version has nice cd audio, because the graphics compared to the arcade...ouch!
bluesilvergun
Please Continue...
eBay: blue-silvergun
Initials: CMK

Post by bluesilvergun »

I love HotD on Saturn. I don’t mind the graphics too much but the frame rate really punished the play unfortunately. VC 1&2 feel great. I so wish this had been continued on HotD. I need to look into that emu. Wish I had a mid res monitor
Awbacon
Please Continue...

Post by Awbacon »

Awbacon wrote:
Spectrexcwk wrote:I forgot all about this post and recently found myself looking for the song too.

Good thing the Saturn version has nice cd audio, because the graphics compared to the arcade...ouch!
Haha I remember getting HotD for Saturn when it came out and when it started...it was a mess of pixelated garbage. I still played it for hours!
Spectrexcwk
Please Continue...

Post by Spectrexcwk »

Awbacon wrote:
Awbacon wrote:

Haha I remember getting HotD for Saturn when it came out and when it started...it was a mess of pixelated garbage. I still played it for hours!
I've always found this tidbit interesting about the graphics
Anthaemia. from segasaturn.co.uk wrote:I recently conducted an interview for my upcoming Saturn project with a programmer at Tantalus who revealed many fascinating details about how the Saturn conversion of The House Of The Dead was allowed to be released in a 60% complete state. The fact is that development was far ahead of schedule, and as a result management at Sega made the choice to issue the game on time rather than risk delays while Tantalus put in the all-important last-minute details. For example, the reason many polygons are missing (especially on certain enemies' torsos) is because the models being used were still early versions thrown in and meant to have been optimised later. Also, virtually all of the texture mapping in the last two stages is placeholder material that was due to be improved massively as the project neared completion, with another hope of everyone at Tantalus being the mid-stage disc accessing could also have been removed in their planned final version.

Thanks to a prototype copy of this game in public hands, it's obvious some improvements were made during its production, but you can't help feeling the end result might have easily been comparable with Virtua Cop 2 as opposed to scrappier third-party lightgun efforts such as Crypt Killer. Finally, my source for all of this information claimed that relations between Sega and Tantalus were never the same after this disappointing effort - surely the powers that be at Sega knew very well what to expect based on the decisions they made? Either way, everyone at Tantalus is proud of the speed they were able to get HOTD up and running at, though equally upset at how business choices prevented them from being able to put out a title worthy of its past Saturn work... for the record, everyone was especially proud of how close WipEout 2097 was compared with the PlayStation edition and they would have loved to have been given a chance at porting its follow-up as well, had the Saturn not long since been killed off by then!
Awbacon
Please Continue...

Post by Awbacon »

I actually played some HotD yesterday afternoon on the Saturn. Even w/ the abysmal graphics its still top 3 light gun shooters for me! #1 will always be the Point Blank series though!

HotD 3 and 4 weren't my favorites, but 1 and 2 were amazing. Overkill was fun even if it didn't feel like a HotD game.

I am hyped for Scarlet Dawn. I live near a Gameworks and they had one of the HotD 4 Special cabinets, so if the game makes its way to the US, I hope they get it