Why buy a board when you can mame??

Coin-operated games and arcades.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Re: Why buy a board when you can mame??

Post by cRacKh0rN »

Mendel wrote:I recently bought a mametopia board on this forum and I agree what it does very well is play pre-jamma games. I don´t need to get all those adapters of specific game to jamma along with the original pcbs.

That said, it still has some audio skipping here and there so its not 100% perfect substitute for any original board. I am probably still going to buy some pcbs if and when some game important to me is available for reasonable price. And I do intend to keep most if not all of my current original pcbs.
Are you using Groovymame? Check out the emulation section for cools' guide.
Setup with the correct resolutions, most games work perfectly with Groovy.
Mendel
Please Continue...
eBay: 81Mendel
Initials: PNM

Post by Mendel »

Groovymame, according to cools´guide requires "An ATI card supported by CRT_Emudriver"
I have integrated Nvidia graphics and soft15khz
So I would need to buy a pci Radeon card to make groovymame work?
Narrowly Avoided Catastrophy owner´s club
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Yes unfortunalty, I had the same problem. I picked up my CRT_Emudrivers supported ATI gfx card off eBay for £20/25 delivered.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

Mendel wrote:Groovymame, according to cools´guide requires "An ATI card supported by CRT_Emudriver"
I have integrated Nvidia graphics and soft15khz
So I would need to buy a pci Radeon card to make groovymame work?
Yes. This is one of the caveats of using Groovy. You will need to read the docs to see what ATI cards are supported. I picked mine up from ebay for about £10.
Mendel
Please Continue...

Post by Mendel »

This writeup here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=119768.0" ...

leads me to believe that I could just install groovymame for use with soft15khz without installing ati graphics card and without crt_emudriver

any comments on that?
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Yes, from my brief experience you can install groovymame, turn switchres on and go with that.

I tried this but only for a couple of games so give it a good test and if it's working without issue you could point mala to groovymame.exe instead of the mame.exe it's currently using. There will be some difficulties with configuration, most of all you will need up-to-date roms, for this reason it's well worth backing up before you delve in too much. ...At least keep all your tinkering in a separate folder for starters.

As far as I understand neither driver add-on can provide "perfect" refresh rates and speed is usually a tiny bit off (unless you put up with tearing). Groovymame's magic here is in how it syncs the audio speed without stutter.
Mendel
Please Continue...

Post by Mendel »

I get a fast blinking black command line with various errors when trying to run game with groovymame, I suppose the romset is wrong

anyways, back on mgalaxy... I would want to try various settings to reduce audio skipping

here is instructions I found on google:
Enable -refreshspeed. This causes mame to run not quite the correct speed for most games, though.
* Set the correct -speed value. This will vary game to game, and enabling -refreshspeed should set this correctly. If it does not, you can hand set it instead with this option.
* Disable -waitvsync, -syncrefresh, and -triplebuffer. (This is the default settings.)
* enable -switchres.
That´s all nice but where and how exactly do I add/enable those things??? Is this done in mala options, in mame config or in some ini file? if so, which ini file?

edit: also...

Do you know what is the highest resolution a nac monitor can display without interlacing on 15kHz?
I´m looking to set up a modeline that I could use to play vertical games on mame without actually rotating the monitor such that I would have a small vertical strip on the horizontal screen, where pixels arent stretched and as little as possible is lost to overscan on top and bottom. (I dont want to use ega)
vasilas432
eBay: katzurak

Post by vasilas432 »

MAME is a powerful tool to try before you buy. It is for free and everybody can have it anytime.

For me there can't be more enjoyment and satisfaction from owning the real hardware that was the one you used to play at arcades as a kid.
It's really cool to hunt for a rare pcb and super exciting to finally lay your hands on it. Assemble it, tune up the monitor, hardware and software menus. It is a cool ceremony!
Most of the times you don't loose your money if you sell the real deal like you do on today's systems and games that just use disk formats and will be super common also in the future due to mass production of game copies today.
I don't have proceed at the moment to current gen: PS4 and Xbox one due to lack of games of my interest.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Mendel wrote:
That´s all nice but where and how exactly do I add/enable those things??? Is this done in mala options, in mame config or in some ini file? if so, which ini file?
It'll be regular mame.ini file. To generate the default gooveymame ini run the your groovymame exe with the "-cc" switch (backup your regular mame.ini first if there's anything in there you want to keep) - easiest way to do this is rightclick drag the exe to make a shortcut and add " -cc" after the groovymame.exe in the target shortcut box.

Cools actually has this in his guide:
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24216"

... you should only get rom errors when you load a rom so imagine your woes are related to not having a correct mame.ini setup just yet rather than roms?
Mendel wrote: Do you know what is the highest resolution a nac monitor can display without interlacing on 15kHz?
I´m looking to set up a modeline that I could use to play vertical games on mame without actually rotating the monitor such that I would have a small vertical strip on the horizontal screen, where pixels arent stretched and as little as possible is lost to overscan on top and bottom. (I dont want to use ega)
Depends what monitor exactly, but this probably won't work like how you want it to: Probably around 240-80 vertical max at 60Hz, you might get more at 50hz but presume that'd defeat the purpose of your setup. But at this stage wouldn't you be best off being at 31khz (assuming you've a trisync monitor in your nac) and getting 640x480 out of that for vertical games?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

One big positive about a GroovyMAME setup is a set it and leave it monitor tweak, I've not had to alter horizontal width or position, nor vertical position at all for anything. Games with crap video hardware (rayforce) or games with crap sound hardware (raiden DX) have those aspects fixed. Hiscore saving for a lot of titles that never had it.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

cools wrote:... Hiscore saving for a lot of titles that never had it.
Just curious, save states or hiscore.dat?

TIA

Cheers,

Ralph.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

hiscore.dat. Auto save states are excellent but don't feel right.
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

cools wrote:hiscore.dat. Auto save states are excellent but don't feel right.
I am loving that Groovy is using hiscore.dat. Loving Groovy. Period :)
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

Since ive installed groovymame nothing else has been in my cab.. its so good
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
tinchen3112

Post by tinchen3112 »

Anyone know where to get the Crossbox Version 2.0 or 3.0?
I have already installed the 1.0 vertical Version on my nnc and i´m very impressed about this great frontend in combination with groovymame / Crtdriver
I already tried to contact the author on neo arcadia but didnt got an answer.
CraftyMech
Please Continue...

Post by CraftyMech »

Like others have said, I like to use MAME for evaluating games before I commit to buying a pcb. It is also very handy for confirming how games should look & sound, when I am working on a pcb repair.

I agree with the idea that less choices will make you more satisfied with the games you are playing, while having thousands of choices always leaves me feeling like I don't know what to play. I'd rather have 30 pcbs, then 3000 roms.
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Imo people that can't stick to a single game when they have 3000+ roms would probably have the same problems dedicating themselves to a single game if they had 30pcbs, from my observations anyway.

I have a complete Mame set and I used to play a single game for a month and nothing else just because I wanted to get good at it. If you REALLY like a game and want to get results then it shouldn't matter that you have other games to play, no matter how many you have.
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Did you pass a kid-in-a-candy-store phase or did you never go through one?
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

A little I guess for the first day or so, but the fact that I had a complete Mame set didn't dilute the enjoyment of the games I decided to play. It didn't cheapen the experience in any way.
wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Post by wigsplitta »

I must've never shaken off that 'kid-in-a-candy-store' phase! :oops:
After a certain person brought home a Doctor V64...the N64 games list went from 15-20ish to all and everything! I went from playing games thoroughly, to playing games for 5 mins and then getting bored and moving on the the 'new', 'best' or 'greatest' without giving most of them a chance.
20 years later, I did EXACTLY the same thing when I got a mametopia board! :palm:

My own mame experiences before and after have been pretty rubbish, due to multiple failings of HW on all setups! What I did persevere with on those setups, was to load a minimal amount (4 - 5 at most) and play them properly, rather than adding 50+ million that i'd never get round to playing.

Does all the above relate to the actual OP? Not really! :lol: But, I do think that it really is a cool way, if setup correctly, to evaluate how much you'd enjoy a game, before buying it...if you're lucky enough to actually find it in this day and age.

Can I back that up? Sort of...
Bare Knuckle 3, heard about it for years, never played it (bit expensive) so mame'd it, enjoyed it...bought an original.
Vendetta...fond memories, mame'd it, still loved it...bought an original...love it even more!

8-)
I Got PAID...
ウィッグスプリッター - スーパーガレージゲームセンター。