Daytona series article help?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
spadgy
Please Continue...
Daytona series article help?

Post by spadgy »

Hello. It's been literal years since I last posted on AO, so I'm feeling rather meek I've come back with a work request! But here goes...

I'm writing an article for The Guardian about the Daytona series, focusing on the arcade releases, and partially inspired by the fact the new game is selling more cabs and cashing more than expected. I've interviewed the Welsh dev team etc. But the paper's games editor has asked that I focus on a series retrospective rather than the new game in isolation, which feels like the smart move to me. To me arcade has always been about the players as much as the games... so I'm looking to get a modest number of comments from devoted/competitive players, Daytona cab owners (any series entry!), people who feel a particular connection to the series, or people who have stayed with it for a long time.

If that's you, let me know here, or fire me a DM.

I know I'm one of those bloody game journalists, but those that know me know that I'm a devoted arcade player, so I hope to do this series justice. Hopefully a chance to spotlight proper arcade stuff in a spot where games coverage gets a lot of readers.

Thanks!
WTB: Air Assault/Fire Barrel, Air Raid, Guardian Force STV
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Daytona series article help?

Post by cools »

Need some AO stickers to slap on places for photos?
Chris

Post by Chris »

To me the original Daytona USA on Model 2 is the greatest racing game of all time. No contest. Still playing that game regularly. I was totally looking forward to the latest 2017 entry. But it seems that outsourcing development is not the smartest way to move forward for sega of japan. While they do make money from their arcade machines these days, in the long run they will also cause a lot of damage to the image of their most iconic franchises.

This clip nails everything that's wrong with the game pretty well.
spadgy
Please Continue...

Post by spadgy »

cools wrote:Need some AO stickers to slap on places for photos?
I always want stickers anyway mate! :D But yeah - if it is fitting and useful to the reader I'll give a nod to AO in the piece, as this place is a wonderful resource (I did that way back in a Guardian piece by somebody else that I offered some help with, I think... not long after the Killer Cabs days, so about 1908!) And good to hear from you!
Chris wrote:To me the original Daytona USA on Model 2 is the greatest racing game of all time. No contest. Still playing that game regularly. I was totally looking forward to the latest 2017 entry. But it seems that outsourcing development is not the smartest way to move forward for sega of japan. While they do make money from their arcade machines these days, in the long run they will also cause a lot of damage to the image of their most iconic franchises.
Thanks Chris, and I definitely want the balance this piece brings, so I will try and include these insights (space dependent!) but the new game is really the topicality for my article, rather than the subject, if that makes sense. Sincerely appreciated and useful though!
WTB: Air Assault/Fire Barrel, Air Raid, Guardian Force STV
Spectrexcwk
Please Continue...
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Post by Spectrexcwk »

https://www.youtube.com/user/MARUBAKUOFFICIAL
These guys are really good.

Not much info but here’s a dev diary - https://youtu.be/Ykm7tqS1VEo

https://youtu.be/tQLP0qUY4n4 - really in-depth analysis of every turn.

Not sure if any of this will help, but there it is.

For a “simple” game there’s an incredible amount of depth to decrease lap times. I think it’s endured all these years because it strikes that perfect balance of easy(ish) to learn, but difficult to master.
Last edited by Spectrexcwk on September 27th, 2017, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
outrun2
eBay: thefonzzz
Initials: GAZ

Post by outrun2 »

At the risk of turning this thread into a simple Daytona lovein, I just thought I'd add this.

I know the original is much more iconic and groundbreaking, but Daytona 2 was epic when released and this article explains a few of the advances in the 1998 release - always had me drooling..

https://archive.org/stream/Official_Seg ... 3/mode/2up

Made me want one a bit like when I first saw original OutRun, and now, all these years later I'm happy to say I have both (among others :oops: )
Wanted:
Sega Model 3 Emergency Call Ambulance ROM board or complete Step 2 boardset.