Initial D3 Card Reader Emulation

Coin-operated games and arcades.
classiccor83
eBay: luckiestdcalive
Initials: COR

Initial D3 Card Reader Emulation

Post by classiccor83 »

Hi Guys,

not seen information on here about this so thought I would share the news. The Initial D3 card reader has been emulated successfully using some python code, it's currently running on a windows machine and a few cables need knocking up but the creator has put the code out available for anyone else to develop and port to maybe a raspberry pi for example.

I take no credit but feel free to play around with it, all information is included in the topic so guys a little more skilled than me in programming I'm sure could do something useful with this.

Also It has been noted that a user did get it to work well with Initial D2 and then the creator also got it to work on Wangan Midnight on the Chihiro

http://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/i ... b92d68aea2
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: Initial D3 Card Reader Emulation

Post by geotrig »

oh interesting stuff ...will have to have a proper sit down and read later :shifty: so does this run with a Naomi /chihiro and does away with the cards ?

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
classiccor83
eBay: luckiestdcalive
Initials: COR

Re: Initial D3 Card Reader Emulation

Post by classiccor83 »

geotrig wrote:oh interesting stuff ...will have to have a proper sit down and read later :shifty: so does this run with a Naomi /chihiro and does away with the cards ?
Yeah, at the moment you knock up a female serial cable from CN8 from the board (not forgetting to put the Naomi 2 into serial mode via the dip switches) then male serial to USB from a windows laptop running the script in python with psyserial plug-in, and when you are running the Naomi, the script generates a file that the Naomi thinks is the card, so you can upgrade your cars and play the game as intended. So far it's confirmed working on ID3 and WMMT on the Chihiro, someone has said they have got it working on ID2 also.

I'm waiting on my serial cable parts before I have a play! He is happy with it as it is so won't develop it further but he is happy for someone else to do as they wish, maybe getting it 2 run on a raspberry pi OR maybe integrate into your existing pi netboot solution?