Streets of Rage 1 on Mega Play, does it exist?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
arttu
Please Continue...
eBay: arttuy
Initials: AIY

Streets of Rage 1 on Mega Play, does it exist?

Post by arttu »

System16 lists it for Mega Tech and Mega Play but MAME has only Street of Rage 2 on Mega Play.

I would find it weird that it was released both on Mega Tech and Mega Play.

Is there a definite list of Mega Play games that really did/do exist? Mega Play carts seem to be very rare.... I have only managed to get Biohazard Battle, Sonic 1
and Gunstar Heroes.
Rossyra
Supermod

Re: Streets of Rage 1 on Mega Play, does it exist?

Post by Rossyra »

arttu
Please Continue...

Post by arttu »

Thanks for the link, that's another "proof" that Streets of Rage 1 does not exist on Mega Play, but then again that page does not include, for example, Gunstar Heroes...

...and of course this doesn't mean that the game actually exists, but ...

... but then again ... http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... =5&o=&vc=1
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

Those Streets of Rage images on that flyer are of the 2nd game. :penser:
Kretinou
eBay: Perklorik
Initials: JIC

Post by Kretinou »

I never seen a cart of SOR on Mega Play. I thought Gunstar Heroes was a legend too but I saw one on the market zone of a uk forum.

@Arttu: any pics of your Gunstar Heroes ?
arttu
Please Continue...

Post by arttu »

phillv85 wrote:Those Streets of Rage images on that flyer are of the 2nd game. :penser:
Hehe, okay that explains quite a lot :)
I have never owned a megadrive/genesis myself and have never played Streets of Rage (1 or 2) so I didn't notice that but it did cross my mind that the SoR1/pics on the flyers could be a mistake/mismatch. That would explain the (incorrect) assumption that even tho SoR1 was on Mega Tech, it would be on Mega Play also. And once someone puts that info on a website, everyone else copies it and .....
arttu
Please Continue...

Post by arttu »

Kretinou wrote:I thought Gunstar Heroes was a legend too but I saw one on the market zone of a uk forum. @Arttu: any pics of your Gunstar Heroes ?
Well, the cart itself could be a bootleg as it looks like any other Mega Play cart, but Gunstar Heroes is the only Mega Play cartridge that I own that has instructions and "cartridge box" for the game:
arttu
Please Continue...

Post by arttu »

I don't know what Gunstar Heroes looks like on a megadrive, but I guess these are the main differences between console and arcade versions ("pre-game" instruction screen + credit/insert coin texts). It's been a VERY long time since I've played this but the number zero in the top is lives and in arcade version you get one life per credit, console version gives you more than one (maybe..? if I remember correctly).

Amazing game. Unbelievable graphics and sound considering what hardware it is on.
arttu
Please Continue...

Post by arttu »

System16.com is now fixed not to list SoR1 for Mega Play....and I have one less game to find in order to complete my collection! :)
Last edited by arttu on September 4th, 2016, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kretinou
eBay: Perklorik
Initials: JIC

Post by Kretinou »

thank you arttu for the pics :-o :thumbupright:
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

Out of interest, do you know where that Gunstar Heroes was acquired from?
arttu
Please Continue...

Post by arttu »

phillv85 wrote:Out of interest, do you know where that Gunstar Heroes was acquired from?
I bought mine from ebay some 10+ years ago. Absolutely no recollection who the seller was. Looks like eBay's purchase history only goes to 2014 and I have deleted all the purchase-related emails so I'm sorry I can't help you any futher.

Looks like it's always been next to impossible to find any mega play carts.
I've been trying to buy Shinobi 3, Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 for some 15 years but no luck so far.
I wonder if the operators found them completely worthless once Megadrive/Genesis was out and trashed them... :(
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

I remember seeing the first SOR on a spanish arcade forum a few years back, the guy posted a tutorial showing how to make custom labels for Megatech carts, he had only 2 or 3 games, Streets of Rage 1 was one of them, unless it was a converted Megadrive cart?

BTW, Golden Axe 2 on that flyer shows Golden Axe 2 on the left and Golden Axe 3 on the right, I thought that only the first 2 Golden Axe games were released for the Megatech hardware, so SOR pictures could also be "wrong".
k1ngarth3r
eBay: t-0-m-t-0-m
Initials: Tom

Post by k1ngarth3r »

Nice, I've hardly ever seen any Mega-Play games for sale, suprised to see you have a few.

The only boxed one I have is Grand Slam!
sploit

Post by sploit »

Pretty confident that the first Streets of Rage was never released on the Mega Play.

I don't know all of the games that were released on it, but I think there were only about 10.

I have four games and two motherboards. I actually bought my first Mega Play stuff off a dude on here, that was a motherboard that came with Sonic 2.

I then wanted to get Sonic 1 for it too, so I saw it for sale, but it came in a lot on ebay with two other games and a board, so I just bought the set.

So I have Sonic 2, Sonic 1, Golden Axe II and a Tennis game which I can't remember the name of.

Anyway, it wouldn't be so weird for the game to have been released on both systems, after all, Sonic 1 and 2 both released on the Mega-Tech and the Mega Play system.

The Mega-Tech (I have a Mega-Tech board too) is similar, but one is time based the other is just credits based.
arttu
Please Continue...

Post by arttu »

Streets of Rage 2 & Mega Play pcb at eBay ..... for $2000 :eh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-MEGA-PLAY- ... 2151960861

I am very interested but not "2000 USD" interested. Hell, I haven't even played any Streets of Rage games before :)
Molloy
Please Continue...

Post by Molloy »

This is interesting I'd never head of the Mega Play just the Mega Tech. Always thought the credit for time mechanic of the MegaTech/Gamechoice was annoying back in the day and wish they'd reprogrammed the games instead so cool to learn Sega actually did it.

Streets of Rage 1 and 2 have aged well and are still really fun to play today. One of my favourite Youtubers did a good retrospective of the series a while back.
jase

Post by jase »

Rise from your grave. :D

I picked up a bundle of Mega Play carts from an old arcade Op in Blackpool. I must admit I didn't know much about the system before this. Whereas credits buy time on the Mega Tech system, you get lives for your money on the Mega Play, giving a more traditional arcade experience. One of the games was Streets of Rage II, which really piqued my interest.

I picked up three motherboards with the carts. It turns out two were fully working, which is was a good result!

Streets of Rage II is one on my all time favourites, and I was really happy to play it in a cab.

It appears there were eleven carts released for the system. I'm now trying to get hold of the full set, and have a couple of swapsies.

Sonic The Hedgehog
Golden Axe II
Grand Slam
Tecmo World Cup

Streets of Rage II
Bio-Hazard Battle
Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Missing:
Columns 3
Gunstar Heroes
Mazin Wars
Shinobi III

Each cart has a designated number, strangely Golden Axe II ends with B.

I've noticed that these carts are pretty hard to find. I picked all of these titles from the Op, except Sonic the Hedgehog, which was from a seller in Italy.

The games originally came in plastic cases, similar to the Megadrive. I haven't got any cases, and the only paper work I've got is for Streets of Rage II. The art is very similar in size to the MVS mini marquees.

voyou1
#cavesunday

Post by voyou1 »

Gunstar heroes and shinobi 3 are almost impossible to find.
I have sonic, sonic 2 and street of rage 2 all in boxes.
You can have conversions, i have a nice shinobi 3 conversion for trade
jase

Post by jase »

Yes I suspected these would prove difficult to find. I wonder if Sega were trying to replicate the success of the MVS, or just promoting the Megadrive games in arcades?

I'm only really after originals. I see some ebay sellers are offering conversions, but I think I'd rather just play the Megadrive game than a conversion.