Re: Important Capcom CPS2 Announcement

Post by glstar »

Great work guys.
:)
nismopunch
Please Continue...

Post by nismopunch »

Very impressive! Congrats to the team and thank you for all the hard work!
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Amazing. Congratulations guys! I have a couple of boards waiting for this!
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

idc wrote:
pulstar wrote:Fantastic news :D Unless this implementation makes use of the battery, surely it would make sense for all CPS2 B boards to under go this process.
It does involve the use of the battery. It writes the keys to a dead/blank board in the same manner that Capcom did.
This is great work but as an operator and collector, I still don't want the battery there. I don't have time to maintain 40+ CPS-II boards regularly and I've had several replaced batteries explode which killed the boards.
kuze

Post by kuze »

Shou wrote:
idc wrote:
pulstar wrote:Fantastic news :D Unless this implementation makes use of the battery, surely it would make sense for all CPS2 B boards to under go this process.
It does involve the use of the battery. It writes the keys to a dead/blank board in the same manner that Capcom did.
This is great work but as an operator and collector, I still don't want the battery there. I don't have time to maintain 40+ CPS-II boards regularly and I've had several replaced batteries explode which killed the boards.
I think most of us feel the same way, but it's great that there are now different options available. Thanks for the hard work guys!
QDivision
Please Continue...
eBay: Q_Division

Post by QDivision »

Great work, look forward to reading the details.
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

Amazing work guys. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
OlDirty

Post by OlDirty »

Congrats, very nice work :thumbupright: :thumbupright:
Stompp
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Post by Stompp »

Amazeballs :shock: I'm truly amazed by the skills you guys posses and the effort you pour into your projects and grateful for the fact that you choose to share your discoveries with the community :awe: Thank you!
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

kuze wrote:
Shou wrote:This is great work but as an operator and collector, I still don't want the battery there. I don't have time to maintain 40+ CPS-II boards regularly and I've had several replaced batteries explode which killed the boards.
I think most of us feel the same way, but it's great that there are now different options available. Thanks for the hard work guys!
There is a compromise: Install a Keystone battery holder. I previously advised against these, but now they can serve a useful purpose. Before playing, push a battery into the holder, and write the decryption keys using our device. When done, remove the battery and put the board into storage, battery free.

Sure, dealing with batteries is not for everyone. The advantage is that people can now choose, and if they want to "unphoenix" and go back to original ROMs, they can do so.
ImageImageImageImage
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

It's been a while since the initial announcement, when (if ever) could we expect an initial demo/writeup tech doc to gobble up?

I'm saying "if ever" because I expect this to have a pretty large impact on the cps2 scene,and one could expect that things might be kept private for some time to come.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Asure wrote:It's been a while since the initial announcement, when (if ever) could we expect an initial demo/writeup tech doc to gobble up?

I'm saying "if ever" because I expect this to have a pretty large impact on the cps2 scene,and one could expect that things might be kept private for some time to come.
How is this any different to CPS1 resurrection? ;)
Bonky
Please Continue...

Post by Bonky »

:(

i have mailled Eduardo 15 days before and ....... i wait :D
Hope to release is work, but no communication/ explanation on his blog . hummmm hope no probleme for him.
xodaraP
Please Continue...
eBay: xodarap21

Post by xodaraP »

I'm personally interested as a collector in the preservation aspect of this, I've currently got 6 boards all running original ROMs with batteries and 2 that have suicided I would really prefer to replace the battery on and keep original.

Sadly it's true people can use this information to make conversions that will be undetectable from the original, but really there are quite a few games (including the rare/expensive ones) that those people can already do this with using the unencrypted ROM sets already available...

I'm leaving my 2 boards in suicided state until this information becomes available so I can keep them 100% original.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

When your suicided games inevitably do this and you have to rebuy a game you own, I think you'll be interested in a clean fix :)

manimani
eBay: paradise-avenue
Initials: sly

Post by manimani »

I have only 14 cps2 games, with battery, and i'm aproved totally what Shou explain. Once Eduardo creat a tool to revive the phoenixed game, i'm thinking more and more to phoenix mine, cause if you can revive a phonixed one, you can't revive dead one by battery acid loss.
Nothing will bring returned spot of an electron gun which varies according to luminous intensity, and sweep screen creating perfect scanlines. (C) Epsylon
vasilas432
eBay: katzurak

Post by vasilas432 »

Shou wrote:When your suicided games inevitably do this and you have to rebuy a game you own, I think you'll be interested in a clean fix :)

This board in your photo has the initial battery from factory. They were excellent high quality batteries but a lot of years have passed since. I change battery for every CPS2 game I buy and I have 12 of them with brand new and newly released fresh batteries. I also have kept all replaced batteries and all of them are still alive. I think I will realize on time when and if a game will die and I won't leave the board for too long exposed to acid.

I am really interested in this project and well done to people that managed the reverse engineering. They are great
WilalvesBR
eBay: Wilalvesbr
Initials: WIL

Post by WilalvesBR »

xodaraP wrote: I'm leaving my 2 boards in suicided state until this information becomes available so I can keep them 100% original.
I'm also in the same situation but mainly due to no phoenix fix or clean decrypted sets available for the exact region of my boards that have suicided.

This is the major hope for ressurecting most of those asia, brazil, hispanic, oceania and some japan exclusive boards that weren't phoenixed yet.

Is there any plain to release a software tool apart from MAME to extract the keys from boards that haven't been dumped yet but are proven to exist so they would also be ressurected in the future?
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

We've just released the info. Everyone, go and try it out! :awe:

http://arcadehacker.blogspot.com/2016/0 ... guide.html
ImageImageImageImage
mastercello
eBay: mastercello
Initials: BUS

Post by mastercello »

Freaking amazing....you guys rock! :thumbup: :awe: :thumbupright: :slowclap: :slowclap: :slowclap: