81.25% of SNK Playmore's shares sold to Ledo Millenium

Coin-operated games and arcades.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

81.25% of SNK Playmore's shares sold to Ledo Millenium

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

http://dreamcancel.com/2015/08/06/snk-p ... e-company/

I for one don't really care either way. I just find this situation... interesting.

... "Marvel formula" :lolno:
Emulation's nice when done well
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

Re: 81.25% of SNK Playmore's shares sold to Ledo Millenium

Well, KOF XIII is the best fighting game released within the past 10 years.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

Ditto

KOF 13 was brilliant. I much prefer it to SF4.

Let's hope this means they get better funding for the new KOF, I know it's going away from 2D, but lets see what they do.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

It's a little disappointing in terms of who/what the company is/was ... but that's been the situation for yeeeeeeeears now... like 2003/04 as said.

If you want snk to kick back into life and resurrect any of it's franchises this kind of move is probably the best thing to happen. But the direction it could go in is clearly up in the air - you'd have to assume mobile based at this stage, but we could wish for some kind of arcade/retro artisan niche label... Stranger things have happened.

From an industry point of view it'll be interesting to see what kind of reach these brands have and what kind of appeal they hold for an international market. And this is yet another ['traditional'] bastion of gaming that has ended up under Chinese control and finance.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

I'm pretty sure the new overlords had an idea what they wanted to do with the IPs before purchasing the stocks. That coupled with the recent lift of the ban of home consoles in China might give us some hint of what's in the future.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

TheRedKnight wrote: That coupled with the recent lift of the ban of home consoles in China might give us some hint of what's in the future.

... expectant that the majority of their market will be android-like ports - whether that's ouya type consoles or mobile phones... and thus the kind of emphasis on the direction they'll take the games - touch based etc. etc.

I'd love for them to bring out some kind of neo geo x done right + new games and good joystick - after all who is the market for the brands? ... But track records don't tend to comply with my wishes - we'll probably more likely to see gambling/pachinko games using the brands...
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

I'm expecting them to try all kinds of stuff to see what works. Maybe SNKP's recent activity has just been that. Re-releasing ports on all kinds of platforms with almost no sense of aim and purpose. What's sure is that the lesser known franchises have absolutely no chance of coming back now.

Sleep well, ADK. :(
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

The funny thing is a Baseball Stars 3 or new Big Tournament Golf would totally work on tablets.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

spmbx wrote:How did kof13 do saleswise? It seems to be a very under the radar kind of release here.
Pretty poo I think...

Westerners don't really know what it is. It's not crazy enough to really grab that contemporary/young anime crowd... not that I think blaz blue did much better; but at least (from a commercial perspective) nickle and dimed it's dedicated fans with several releases, and superficially appeared more refined.

The fighting crowd really is a small scene in the west, but that's your biggest high-purchase-console market... The dedicated crowds tend to really follow only a couple of brands. Enthusiasts for all fighting games are few and far between.

Anyone who had a brush with 12 would naturally not be enthused - what a **** mess that was. An en masse crowd was never going to take up a dedication to the kof brand following that.

They squandered their cost>production>reinvestment opportunities with producing 12. It did result in the improvement that was 13, but poor choices in 12 still hamstrung the production and final product that was 13.

The story mode and bosses were **** **** in kof 13 and dlc was a joke, so you weren't roping in anyone who wasn't already a kof fan - you basically had to understand why it the actual game was good before you bought it.

It took forever to come out in eurozone; leaving even interested parties either importing or feeling late to the party.

... I'd be curious what the steam releases are doing for brand regard/exposure, but I also doubt it's exactly making pc folks give up graphical card upgrades and ini file fiddling in favour of buying up fight sticks and investing their time in practicing moves... But at least they can get kof 98/13 from a store when some guy on a podcast/tube says how good it was.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

It has begun...
gray117

Post by gray117 »

:wtf:
supergoose
Please Continue...

Post by supergoose »

I wouldn't even play that if it was a free download.
Wanted: SNK Candy 18 spares. Mainly looking for a marquee holder & the "video games" sign.
denson
eBay: chubba100

Post by denson »

When the video started I thought, the graphics look ok, then I saw the characters and wondered if it was like Capcoms pocket fighter, then I saw the mess that followed and the previous comments made sense :( shame
supergoose
Please Continue...

Post by supergoose »

denson wrote:When the video started I thought, the graphics look ok, then I saw the characters and wondered if it was like Capcoms pocket fighter,
Wasn't that recycled artwork from the late 90s? I thought I had seen it before.
Wanted: SNK Candy 18 spares. Mainly looking for a marquee holder & the "video games" sign.
denson
eBay: chubba100

Post by denson »

:think: hmm, maybe?!
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

so who owns the remaining 19.75% ? :lolno:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

Ok that looks pants, but lets be honest, all the money for Gaming in Japan is in the mobile market.

It's not as if Playmore hasn't done this before.

If they bring out KOF 14 and it isn't **** then who cares.

*prays*
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

Small update to the situation:

SNKP's president spoke about the future of their pachislot plans at their pachislot conference and also said that they have formed a "capital allience" with Ledo Millenium. So they're not really admitting that they've been bought out. Funny.

Source: Madman's Cafe's Professor who linked to an article on a pachislot website, so naturally pachislot was mentioned.

Personally I hope KOF14 does come out and that the story focuses on the Chinese characters in the series (Duo Lon, Kensou, Bao etc), but it's going to be quite a challenge to create a game that one-ups 13 and brings backs their customers. Also, I'll shed a tear if the game is in 3D.

Thinking about how long it has been since they've released something else than KOF or Samurai Spirits for the arcades, I think I'll shed a single tear right now..
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

A Beast Busters pachinko? They are scraping the barrel now, aren't they?
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

what now ! i only noticed 4 girls in turks pic :awe: :lolno:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"