Lesser known fighting games others ought to play

Coin-operated games and arcades.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Re: Lesser known fighting games others ought to play

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

bloodhokuto wrote:I love the look of Kaiser Knuckle. Worth getting a Taito F3 just for that?
Yes.
Emulation's nice when done well
Chris

Post by Chris »

Daraku tenshi, metamoqster, ashura blade, ashura buster etc etc.
Oh and fighting layer by arika. Its pretty awesome and everything that SF EX was not.
Asuka 120% Burning Fest, samurai deeper kyo. Fist of northstar for atomiswave. All vastly underrated stuff.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

Let's put this on the second page as well...
Something different for a change! Use this thread to promote fighting games you think don't get enough attention and get overshadowed by games that show up in everyone's list of favourite fighting games.

Here are examples of names that don't belong in this thread: Street Fighter, King Of Fighters, Garou, Guilty Gear, Tekken, Last Blade, etc ktp usw.

Please don't make a list. Instead contribute by telling others why they should play the game you love even if it has a bad reputation on the interwebz.
denson
eBay: chubba100

Post by denson »

Wurstkopp wrote:Blood Warrior from Kaneko - because it's both gory and weird. :D
Here's a great review:
http://superadventuresingaming.blogspot ... rcade.html
Never heard of this before, it looks very Mortal Kombat meets Samurai Showdown :) I'm going to have to get mame set up and try a few of these out! Great topic ;)
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

SOUL EDGE ,
close thread i wins :lolno: :awe:

i suppose its not really lesser known but more so a forgotten about game these days , i have fond memories of playing this bitd

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
TadCool
'Slayer'
eBay: Daicombo
Initials: RAF

Post by TadCool »

Not arcade, but it's worth mentioning Bushido Blade.

No life bars, no time limit, no Street Fighter-ish stuff you always get in fighting games. The tension of been all the time at the edge of death is something really unique to Bushido Blade.

Love it. :)
Candy Cabs 4 Life.
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

I completely understand loving Bushido Blade in theory. But in reality it's a clumsy, unresponsive mess of a good idea.
That's my experience of having a got a Bushido Blade 2 last year. I wanted to like it so much but frankly there wasn't much to like. I don't know if the first one feels more immediate, though.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

TadCool wrote:Not arcade, but it's worth mentioning Bushido Blade.

No life bars, no time limit, no Street Fighter-ish stuff you always get in fighting games. The tension of been all the time at the edge of death is something really unique to Bushido Blade.

Love it. :)
:eh: so how do you win / die

edit: just watched a vid i get it now ,defensive fencing :awe:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

CTN wrote:I completely understand loving Bushido Blade in theory. But in reality it's a clumsy, unresponsive mess of a good idea.
That's my experience of having a got a Bushido Blade 2 last year. I wanted to like it so much but frankly there wasn't much to like. I don't know if the first one feels more immediate, though.
The thing is that the first Bushido Blade really is better than the messy Bushido Blade 2.
CTN

Post by CTN »

That's a real shame then. Wasn't the same team behind it?
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

Yes, but behind the team was the-ever-so-influental giant known as Square, if you know what I mean.
CTN

Post by CTN »

Yes, i guess s, but Bushido Blade 2s lack in fundamental aspects of the game is still baffling to me. No engaging characters, drab backgrounds, stiff as hell controls can't all be blamed on interventions of Squaresoft especially considering games like Ehrgeiz or Tobal 2, which was a objectively great sequel.

Bushido Blade 2 was so frustratingly boring/terrible that I had to force myself to play the storymode to completition just once. Not even Toshinden 3 accomplished that.

Maybe I give Bushido Blade a go sometime. But 2 was for me such a disappointment of a game I seriously wanted to be great.
(Also I guess it didn't help that I mythologized it for so long as all I knew of the game until I got to play it was a video of it on preview disc from Square)
Dache

Post by Dache »

cthulhu wrote:Rabbit: Forget the Saturn port of this game, the original arcade version is way better from what I can see in movies I found on Youtube. The Saturn version seems to be lacking some character animation frames and the backgrounds lack ALL animation that's present in the original version...also the colors seems to be a bit dulled, but that can also be due to bad settings when recording ingame footage.
The game is quite good with a very deep and varied moveset. the graphics are extremely colorful, very detailed and the characters are sometimes pretty weird (I like weird characters in fighting games). The only problems I have with this game is that the controls feel a bit stiff and the backgrounds can be a little bit distracting.
I had a go of this in MAME and it seemed quite good, but the emulation wasn't that great and my machine wasn't really up to it...

It appears there was a Rabbit 2 released on Naomi 1 GD-ROM, published by Taito, but I can't find any information on it whatsoever. There's some game listings around the net saying that it exists, but I can't find any screenshots, impressions or anything at all. Very strange. Anyone know anything about it?
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

CTN wrote:Yes, i guess s, but Bushido Blade 2s lack in fundamental aspects of the game is still baffling to me. No engaging characters, drab backgrounds, stiff as hell controls can't all be blamed on interventions of Squaresoft especially considering games like Ehrgeiz or Tobal 2, which was a objectively great sequel.

Bushido Blade 2 was so frustratingly boring/terrible that I had to force myself to play the storymode to completition just once. Not even Toshinden 3 accomplished that.

Maybe I give Bushido Blade a go sometime. But 2 was for me such a disappointment of a game I seriously wanted to be great.
(Also I guess it didn't help that I mythologized it for so long as all I knew of the game until I got to play it was a video of it on preview disc from Square)
There's a lot of stuff going on in the first place that was removed from the sequel because some people didn't find al of it fun. It was a stupid idea to think that just having no lifebars and allowing one hit kills was what made the first game so great. Like you can get injured in your arms or in one or both legs, forcing you to fight down on one knee or by lying on the ground completely. In the sequel you can just get hurt in one arm, which is a bit lame after getting used to the struggle that the first game made you face.

Sure, the characters are somewhat forgettable, but the game focuses on the idea of "bushido" rather than that of "cool characters". To me that's OK. Not every fighting game needs a one of a kind memorable cast. The backgrounds in the second game are a bit dull yes. But in comparison in the first game there's only one huuuge level that you can run through, which is amazing. And when it comes to the controls.. when your life can depend on one attack in a duel, it's better to have a system where you have to commit to what you decided to do, don't you agree?

I don't think it's fair to compare Bushido Blade 2 to Toshinden 3, because you have to concentrate in BB2 unlike in T3 where you can just jump around and mash because the game mechanics allow making mistakes. Ehrgeiz and Tobal games were both developed by Dream Factory, and had profilic people (Mr DBZ, people who worked on VF and Tekken, etc) working on them, so I would not compare those to what Lightweight did at a time when fighting games were losing the mainstream's interest. Dream Factory tried to make games for people who were already into fighting games, while Light Weight had a completely different approach of making something that already existed as an idea into a cool video game for a partly new audience. They were like one of those bands that came from nowhere with a killer debut album and then made boring **** after that. They also haven't released a single Bushido Blade game after leaving Square, which is why I believe that some higher ups were making bad decisions for them. We also have to remember that in the world of video games, companies are just brands/fronts that want people to be their fans while in the reality there's just ordinary people working for them who come and go as they please. Maybe the key people left Light Weight at a crucial time? And maybe most of you stopped reading this already. :awe:
CTN

Post by CTN »

TheRedKnight wrote: There's a lot of stuff going on in the first place that was removed from the sequel because some people didn't find al of it fun. It was a stupid idea to think that just having no lifebars and allowing one hit kills was what made the first game so great. Like you can get injured in your arms or in one or both legs, forcing you to fight down on one knee or by lying on the ground completely. In the sequel you can just get hurt in one arm, which is a bit lame after getting used to the struggle that the first game made you face.
My memory is already foggy but wasn't that in the sequel possible, too.
Sure, the characters are somewhat forgettable, but the game focuses on the idea of "bushido" rather than that of "cool characters". To me that's OK. Not every fighting game needs a one of a kind memorable cast. The backgrounds in the second game are a bit dull yes. But in comparison in the first game there's only one huuuge level that you can run through, which is amazing. And when it comes to the controls.. when your life can depend on one attack in a duel, it's better to have a system where you have to commit to what you decided to do, don't you agree?
Blandness is never good - it's the opposite of being memorable.
I don't think it's fair to compare Bushido Blade 2 to Toshinden 3, because you have to concentrate in BB2 unlike in T3 where you can just jump around and mash because the game mechanics allow making mistakes.
[/code]

In both games I could play like a scrub and was never in danger of losing a round. (Exception the last stage of T3)
Ehrgeiz and Tobal games were both developed by Dream Factory, and had profilic people (Mr DBZ, people who worked on VF and Tekken, etc) working on them, so I would not compare those to what Lightweight did at a time when fighting games were losing the mainstream's interest. Dream Factory tried to make games for people who were already into fighting games, while Light Weight had a completely different approach of making something that already existed as an idea into a cool video game for a partly new audience.
Yes, Dream Factory knew what they were doing and could refine on a formula and a memorable character design. Akira Toriyama was an important factor for that but without the working mechanic underneath it wouldn't have been enough.
They were like one of those bands that came from nowhere with a killer debut album and then made boring **** after that.
Let's keep the Stone Roses out of this ok ;)
They also haven't released a single Bushido Blade game after leaving Square, which is why I believe that some higher ups were making bad decisions for them. We also have to remember that in the world of video games, companies are just brands/fronts that want people to be their fans while in the reality there's just ordinary people working for them who come and go as they please. Maybe the key people left Light Weight at a crucial time? And maybe most of you stopped reading this already. :awe:
I belive the job of a director / game designer / head programer is crucial and can make or brake a game in development.

tl;dr
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

Post by cthulhu »

Dache wrote:It appears there was a Rabbit 2 released on Naomi 1 GD-ROM, published by Taito, but I can't find any information on it whatsoever. There's some game listings around the net saying that it exists, but I can't find any screenshots, impressions or anything at all. Very strange. Anyone know anything about it?
Most likely a wrong translation of the sequel to the mahjong game Usagi by Taito and not related to the EA/ Aorn game:
http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index ... e=Rabbit_2
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id ... =1707#1707
My Arcade games

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
Dache

Post by Dache »

cthulhu wrote:
Dache wrote:It appears there was a Rabbit 2 released on Naomi 1 GD-ROM, published by Taito, but I can't find any information on it whatsoever. There's some game listings around the net saying that it exists, but I can't find any screenshots, impressions or anything at all. Very strange. Anyone know anything about it?
Most likely a wrong translation of the sequel to the mahjong game Usagi by Taito and not related to the EA/ Aorn game:
http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index ... e=Rabbit_2
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id ... =1707#1707
Boo! I did think it was a bit strange for it to have gotten a sequel though, for such an unknown fighter.
unofficialitguy
Please Continue...
eBay: bass_hit
Initials: MRB

Post by unofficialitguy »

Paulie wrote:
CTN wrote:I see Waku Wake 7 and raise with Astra Superstars the even weirder sequel.
Good call :awe:
I've not played the original arcade game but I'm guessing the Saturn port is pretty faithful.
I <3 WW7! Hands down my favorite fighter on the Neo Geo. Who doesn't love a satire fighter with references to Indiana Jones, My Neighbor Totoro and KoF all in one place!

From what I hear, the Saturn port has some issues handling the scaling/zooming and the backgrounds are better on the Neo Geo version.

I have not had the pleasure of checking out Astra Superstars yet. Looks like I'll be doing some research now :)
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

Bumping this thread because I've been playing World Heroes Perfect daily for two weeks now. Such an underrated gem!
landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama »

I would recommend Fighting Vipers 2. The first game was quite a hit, but the second passed under the radar, even though it has no major flaws. It is a good follow-up to the original and a game worthy to check.