Lesser known fighting games others ought to play

Coin-operated games and arcades.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Re: Lesser known fighting games others ought to play

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

FV2 is amazing. The parry mechanic makes it one of the best 3D fighting games out there.

https://shoryuken.com/2014/09/08/death- ... nd-heruru/

^ A good read.
Emulation's nice when done well
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Still need to try bushidoblade :oops:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:FV2 is amazing. The parry mechanic makes it one of the best 3D fighting games out there.

https://shoryuken.com/2014/09/08/death- ... nd-heruru/

^ A good read.
Thank you for this link. It has been a loooooong time since I read with such pleasure an article about fighting games. I watched a lot of videos with Heruru's Lei in Virtua Fighter (actually I started playing Lei after watching his Kakotou Shinseki performance during the VF4 days). I didn't knew he was also a top player in FV2 and that he still plays the game regularly. The competitive vs matches videos in this article are also a delight. Thanks, thanks, thanks
BlackMane
Please Continue...
eBay: drakann
Initials: BM

Post by BlackMane »

For me, Karnov's Revenge is a killer. Definitely a really great fighting game. We organised every months a tournament on it. We even go to japan to do a big team battle tournament in Mikado arcade shop in Tokyo this year.
I think it's far better than a Breakers' revenge or something for competition.

An other great game, a 3D game for a change, is Fighting Layer. Hard pcb to find but a really nice gameplay. Graphics are meh, but a really nice game. Worth a try! :)
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

I play Fighter's History Dynamite AKA "Karnov's" quite a lot. I know it's popular in France and I saw the 9 VS 9 team battle with lots of Japanese Ryoko's. :awe:

For me, FHD and WHP are THE Neo Geo fighting games right up there with the Real Bout series and KOF.

Fighting Layer is unfortunately way too expensive. It even has Allen, so I would really like to play it.
BlackMane
Please Continue...
eBay: drakann
Initials: BM

Post by BlackMane »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:I play Fighter's History Dynamite AKA "Karnov's" quite a lot. I know it's popular in France and I saw the 9 VS 9 team battle with lots of Japanese Ryoko's. :awe:
Yeah, I was part of this team battle. I am one of the two Zazie who strike a lots of them haha. Even in freeplay before the team battle I was really please to see that I could beat lots of players on this game with their main characters. But still, there is a lot of violent players there, really tough!
I am so glad to see others Karnov's player here!

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:Fighting Layer is unfortunately way too expensive. It even has Allen, so I would really like to play it.
Really expensive that's right. In Lyon we got one PCB and we have made a tournament on it each months during half a year, in 2016. Lots of hype tho, really fun to play competitively also!
battlesmurf

Post by battlesmurf »

That Jackie Chan Fist of Fire game is always a lot of fun with friends. Super cheezy. Not much of a fighting guy myself (I enjoy them, just not on the level of the shmups personally), but I do hear from the fighting guys that it's all kinds of broken.
landisama

Post by landisama »

How about Last Bronx? Excellent gameplay and graphics for it's time. I played the game a lot with a friend of mine on Saturn between 98-2002. I was mainly playing Kurosawa. I remember I also bought the PC version that had a training CD with lots of combos for each character that were extremely difficult to pull off. Great times for me with that game...
UQ000
Please Continue...
eBay: fobos011
Initials: UQ

Post by UQ000 »

Fatal Fury isn't exactly unknown but it's pretty sad how none of the games (not counting MotW) have much of a competitive scene outside of Japan. Special, RBS and RB2 are some of the best fighting games of all time.
landisama

Post by landisama »

I am also fond of Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. I liked a lot the game in arcades and was waiting for it to come on consoles. The reviews were quite harsh with the game when it appeared on Saturn and Playstation. Everyone wanted 3D at that time...sigh
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

Real Bout is the best thing ever. The feel of the controls is unparalleled by any other 2D fighting games. Special is my personal favourite.

PS1 version of Real Bout Special (Dominated Mind) is actually a completely different game. It only has one plane, crawling has been removed and a few new system mechanics have been added. I recommend playing it on a PSP. It doesn't have complicated commands for specials or supers, so it works well on the go even with a squeaky little D-pad. There's a catch though.. I'd give the game 3/5 stars as it is, but for the 5 star experience all the secret moves have to be unlocked, which can be tedious. For someone who is more used to Capcom games (like Zero/SFIII -series )Dominated Mind is easier to get into than the arcade Real Bout games. Not just because of the lack of plane switching, but because of the way combos and super cancels work.