kinnikuman namco 256

Coin-operated games and arcades.
dipindods
Please Continue...
Initials: har

kinnikuman namco 256

Post by dipindods »

ok so i just got kinnikuman muscle grand prix for the namco 256 and everything in this game is japanese. does anyone know where i can get a translation or move list for this game. i can do some moves and figured out the buttons but theres so much i dont understand. like after u pick ur fighter they give u 3 options and 3 japanese words in 3 diff colors i have no clue what it does haha. any help will be great
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Re: kinnikuman namco 256

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

I'm a Kinnikuman fan and I'm familiar with the game, but I've been playing the sequel a lot more on the PS2, so I don't know if all my knowledge applies to the first game. I can tell you about the basic game mechanics and help you figure out the movelists if you want. Just drop me a PM. I can also write a small tutorial here if there are more people interested.
Emulation's nice when done well
dipindods
Please Continue...

Post by dipindods »

i say make a lil write up here so it may help anyone else if they need it.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

OK, this is for Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix 2, but most of it applies to the first game as well. I'm going to write a detailed movelist for one character as an example and then explain the most common motions that are used in the game. The aim is to get you interested in the game and figure out the rest by yourself, as I don't personally have the interest to write a fully fledged FAQ. If I left out something important or made a mistake, then too bad, eat my garlic farts. :whoopsie:

First off, some advice:
-Don't mash. If for example you mash the guard button while getting up, your character will most likely try to perform a parry or a throw break animation when he gets up and then you will just eat more attacks and get knocked down again.
-There's no jumping or crouching to avoid attacks, except with some very specific moves, so it's all about footsies in this game.
-Charge your special meter whenever possible, but don't take stupid risks.
-Some moves can only be performed near corner/ropes, so remember to use those moves as well. They're usually "supers" though.

Button legend is:
G = Guard
A = Attack
T = Throw
S = Special

The official button layout is:
A T S
G X X

With the joystick you can:
-Walk forward and backwards (hold back or hold forward)
-Dash forward and backwards (back, back or forward, forward)
-Run forwards (forward, forward and hold it)
-Sidestep (down, down, or up, up)

With G you can:
-Guard by just holding the button down.
-Parry by holding forward and pressing the button.
-Break throws, even special ones or "supers", by holding back and pressing the button.

With A you can:
-Do various attacks. Try out the most common fighting joystick motions to find them out.
-Up + A and down + A with most characters hit downed opponents.
-You can also perform moves that stagger the opponent. Throws performed on staggered opponents are more powerful. There are two types of stagger, a regular one and a heavy one.

With T you can:
-Perform throws. Try out the most common fighting joystick motions to find them out.
-By holding back and pressing T you can send the opponent running to the direction where your back was turned. The aim is to send them into the ropes to bounce off and set them up for another move (preferably special throw), but this is a very predictable tactic. It's worth it because you can't break a throw if you're bounced off the ropes.
-Some throws can only be performed on staggered opponents.

With S you can:
-Perform special attacks and throws, and "supers".
-By inputting forward, neutral, back and then holding the button down you can charge your special meter. You can charge it up to 10 (MAX).
-Each special attack and throw have a set value of special meter levels they cost to perform. "Supers" costs 9 meters, and they require a typical fighting game joystick motion + either A and S or T and S to be pressed together.
-Some supers don't do much damage, but they deplete the opponents special meter instead.

After picking your character you can choose from three different "powers" that you can activate by pressing A, T and S together. You can only do this once per round. You can also perform your "super" during them.
-Blue is similar to the Custom combo / Excel combo stuff in Street Fighter games. You can barrage the opponent with fast attacks strings. If your life is flashing and you activate this, you also deal extra damage.
-Green is like "super armour" but you can still be launched in the air. You also don't get staggered as easily. If your life is flashing with this activated you take less damage.
-Red lets perform whatever specials you want as long as the depleting meter is there. But while this is activated your moves do less damage than usual. If your life is flashing you can charge your meter super fast.

Here's a movelist for Warsman. I feel that he is the most beginner friendly character in the game.

Regular Attacks:
A, A, A
A, A, forward + A
A, A, forward + A, A A
A, A, forward + A, A, forward, down, downforward + A
forward + A, A, A, A
forward + A, A, A, forward, down, downforward + A
forward + A, down + A
up + A
down + A
forward, forward + A
forward, down, downforward + A
running A

Regular Throws:
T
forward + T
forward, forward + T
back, forward + T
down, downforward, forward + T
down, downback, back + T
back, downback, down, downforward, forward + T
(on a staggered opponent) T
(on a staggered opponent) back, downback, down, downforward, forward + T
(on a heavily staggered opponent) T
(on a heavily staggered opponent) back, downback, down, downforward, forward + T
(opponent bounced off the ropes) T
(opponent bounced off the ropes) forward + T
(behind opponent) T

Special moves:
S (costs 1 meter)
forward, forward + S (costs 1 meter)
back, back + S (costs 5 meters)
(continued from above) forward + S (no cost, if first part hits)
(continued from above) forward forward + S (no cost, if first part hits)
(continued from above) back, forward + S (no cost, if first part hits)
(continued from above) forward, down, downforward + S (no cost, if first part hits)
back, forward + S (costs 2 meters)
down, downforward, forward + S (costs 2 meters)
forward, downforward, down, downback, back + S (costs 3 meters)
forward, down, downforward + S (costs 3 meters)

"Supers":
back, downback, down, downforward, forward + A + S (costs 9 meters) (I somehow have a vague memory that the command was forward, back, downback, back, downforward, forward + A + S in the first game?)
back, downback, down, downforward, forward + T + S (costs 9 meters)

With Warsman you can easily punish whiffs even from afar if you have some special meter with the down, downforward, forward + S clawdrill attack. And from a running attack you can do a heavy stagger giantswing (back, downback, down, downforward, forward +T) that does a decent amount of damage. His supers also have a decent range. More so with the first super. With the blue power he can be played very aggressively. The commands you see used in this movelist are pretty much all the game uses. So with various characters try back, downback, down, downforward + A/T + S or the other way around, or just down, downforward, forward + A/T + S or the other way around or even forward, down, downforward + A/T+ S. I can't recall any supers that don't use those motions.

Have fun with the game. :)
Emulation's nice when done well
majors

Post by majors »

Thank you for this. I recently got Kinnikuman 2 and have fumbled around a bit, but this will help me get the most of out if.
TheRedKnight wrote:First off, some advice:
-Don't mash. If for example you mash the guard button while getting up, your character will most likely try to perform a parry or a throw break animation when he gets up and then you will just eat more attacks and get knocked down again.
LOL, you should have seen the weaboos playing it at the last con I brought my cabs to. Full palm thrust on all buttons, 100% incoherently joystick waggle. <sign>...at least it gave a good test to my CP.
Majors -=- Wedoca '18
gamemaster14
Please Continue...
eBay: gamemaster14
Initials: MIK

Post by gamemaster14 »

I will thank you very much for this information. I recently got Kinnikuman for my 256 and this will help me play a great deal.
dipindods
Please Continue...

Post by dipindods »

yo thank you so much for this cant wait to play it now on my 256 :)