Kraut Buster

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Philipp
eBay: NECRGB

Re: A new Neo Geo game just announced...

Post by Philipp »

god is it that hard to make more copies? and to charge less? I will just get a conversion of this, thats what they get. even nowadays the MS games are dead cheap as mvs but those sassy b4stards charge 450 just because they know there are enough desperate nostalgists and non gaming collectors who are willing to pay any price. "love letter to the NEOGEO" my a$$
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

Post by cthulhu »

I think €450 is a bit much, but even Xeno Crisis costs between £199 and £269 for an MVS kit (depending on the version). Development and the resources from which the games are made aren't free and saying old MVS games can be dead cheap doesn't mean new games should be cheap as well.
My Arcade games

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Philipp wrote: December 29th, 2018, 3:07 pmgod is it that hard to make more copies? and to charge less? I will just get a conversion of this, thats what they get. even nowadays the MS games are dead cheap as mvs but those sassy b4stards charge 450 just because they know there are enough desperate nostalgists and non gaming collectors who are willing to pay any price. "love letter to the NEOGEO" my a$$
The Metal Slug games cost way more on release.

Also, good luck getting a conversion of this.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

nem wrote: December 29th, 2018, 5:40 pm Also, good luck getting a conversion of this.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

It is just that I think they should be a lot more humble. So far none of their games has impressed me much but they ask for prices that are more common for actual retro games that have gained a certain cult status over time. There are so many indie devs with similar products that are much better and those games are very cheap on Steam or on whatever platform they get released. However, NG:Dev.Team decide right away to make games for MVS and AES with only 500 carts and at that price. Just gives me a bad impression of them. They could just say we want to make good games and they will run on any new platform anyway. But that would result in something they sell for $10-20, so they think let's make something for NG cause that's where the money is! And about the game, yeah well, let's see how well we can do but it will sell out anyway.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

You really have no idea how much carts and packaging cost.

They're doing another run of Kraut Buster next year if you feel left out.

Or, if you don't think the game is worth the money they're asking, you don't have to buy it.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I think one cart is roughly €50 in production max?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Can you resell games on Steam yet?
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

If they are only making 500 carts although I think they may have made more than that (excluding any future production runs).

So if they had 2 people working on it full time (that's going to be 85-90% of the cost) they probably won't actually break even.

Bearing that they over-run the development time considerably, I guess that they will only make a profit on the second run.
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

Post by cthulhu »

Philipp wrote: December 30th, 2018, 3:53 pm I think one cart is roughly €50 in production max?
Kind of irrelevant to say that since all products you buy have low production costs, otherwise nobody would ever make a profit on it. Also you have to consider the time spent on development, which is quite a lot with a game like this, so you're also paying for that...you don't work for free don't you, so why should they?
My Arcade games

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

yes thats common sense but the other guy pointed out the carts were expensive, if that wasnt a joke. so i was only talking about the hardware, not any other costs
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The carts are expensive. That said I'm sure they've managed to get costs down since I think it's their fourth game on the same hardware. Here's pics of the Neo XYX boards:

http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/Neo_XYX

The PROG board is not a simple design. It has an ARM7 processor and a FPGA.

If you start thinking of PCB footprint, there's two boards for every cart and even though they're shorter than regular Neo cart PCBs, they're still way bigger than anything for the MD or SNES. Bigger PCBs cost more money. Smaller quantities make price per board higher. There's a reason why Xeno Crisis is 55 pounds for the MD and 200 for the Neo.

Remember unless these guys are designing their own boards, they're paying someone to do it. MD cart is 64 pins. Neo cart is 240 pins. There's a huge difference in complexity. After finishing design work they're ordering one or more really expensive one off prototype boards. If they're then ordering 10000 pieces these costs are probably insignificant, but at 200-500 pcs they're pretty substantial.

EDIT: also, the PROG board is the reason why you won't be seeing conversions of this or any of the NGDEV titles (past Last Hope) anytime soon.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Fancy giving this a go if anyone wants to sell their preorder ;) P M me.
geosnow
eBay: g3osnow

Post by geosnow »

Jan wrote: December 27th, 2018, 7:39 pm
SuperPang wrote: December 27th, 2018, 5:48 pm LOL at my 2015 post wondering how the exchange rate would fluctuate as I mulled over the purchase, blissfully unaware of the impending ****. Turns out I saved 25%! :lol:
so you will break even after paying Import tax ? :lol:
Uk has no import tax from Germany until brexit. :D
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
neogeomeister
eBay: neogeomeister

Post by neogeomeister »

Ordered the MVS Version in 2015 still waiting for shipment.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Cool. We all are.

They'll start shipping in 1-2 weeks as per the Facebook update.
jase

Post by jase »

I received an email today:

Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Processing/Preparing

Can't wait for it to arrive. :awe:
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

Enjoy it guys. Does anyone think this will ever be available on any other platforms?

I think it would make sense to release their games on Steam/PS4/Switch/Xbox for people that actually want to play it , hardcore AES/MVS collectors are going to buy it regardless or maybe even release it on a different platform once they decided not to make anymore carts
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Absolutely it will be released. There's no way they'll make a decent profit of it otherwise.

I'm calling a Kraut Buster HD announcement later this year.