The IGS PGM thread

Coin-operated games and arcades.
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: The IGS PGM thread

Post by DaveyD »

I picked up a DDPDOJ BL conversion cart off here for £80 back in Jan this year. Plays perfect, but as mentioned above it isn't a picture of beauty when you open it up. Only difference between this and original PCB is that you can't pick between original and BL version at startup.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

crunchywasp wrote:Ketsui and DOJ on PGM are hacks using sacrificial carts. I seem to remember reading that they're badly made and the pcb's covered in spunk/hot glue. I spoke to a member here a while ago that had bought both and he reckoned the games are identical. I wouldn't line the guy that makes the carts pockets though and I'd suspect they'd be unreliable. I'd far rather pay the extra and have the originals. Aren't the bootleg carts circa £150? I'm sure someone here can confirm and give you more accurate info :)
I'd rather own the DOJ conversion cart TBH. The proper PCB release seems to be flaky as hell. :think:
MrHalibut
eBay: Mr_Meh

Post by MrHalibut »

Ketsui has what I think is slightly dodgy GFX on the end-of-stage intermission screen (same as MAME version), and other than that appears to work fine. Also, it has a hi score saving hack which you can enable with dip switch #8, though mine would randomly reset, I think that was probably due to a dodgy mobo.
colinmac
Please Continue...
eBay: Fifeauctions18
Initials: COL

Post by colinmac »

Yeah sacrificial games doesn't sit well with me particularly.

I'd go with the original pcbs also but they can be stupid money now even compared to just a year ago. Also they don't come up all that often making it harder for those of us who are waiting.

If I see carts reasonably priced I might still pick em up as a tide over until I finally get hold of/can afford the real deal...

Cheers folks.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Build yourself a MAME setup as a tideover
colinmac
Please Continue...

Post by colinmac »

I've got a decent mame setup and am halfway through building a much faster PC to run it, so that's maybe a sensible route.

I'll order a PSU for it today, and see if I can get it finished.

Joerg's bootleg IGS carts are still expensive - I bought a Ikaruga cart from Gaz, which is one of his. It' works brilliantly, with none of that noisy GDROM faff, but I've not opened it to inspect for 'spunk/hot glue' :lol: I think I'll leave it unopened ;) Some things, you just can't unsee, eh ?
vasilas432
eBay: katzurak

Post by vasilas432 »

If Oriental Legend super special v205 is the latest, what are the differences with the 2 previous versions? Bug fixes? Extra routes? More items?
I know you can select and play with game's bosses, are they balanced and worth to be in the character's selection screen? or they ruin the game?
theMot

Post by theMot »

Darksoft is looking at doing another multi, we need to hound him so he does a PGM one with cave board support! I would love to see that!
colinmac
Please Continue...

Post by colinmac »

Yep. That would rock!

Even with hot glue / spunk * and er stuff in it.

* hey, crunchy :awe:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

It's just arcademodbios that spunks all over his boards although I too will happily spunk on boards if the price is right :hinthint:
colinmac
Please Continue...

Post by colinmac »

Am scared to look in the coinbox of that Jaomi, now.. :awe:

Back on thread though, I'd seriously quite like a DDP DOJ ... :shifty:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

colinmac wrote:Am scared to look in the coinbox of that Jaomi, now..
:shifty:
colinmac
Please Continue...

Post by colinmac »

Gotta say, despite it being 'not quite a Cave title, as it's technically a license', I'm *really* enjoying DDP2 BeeStorm a lot.

It's a little more forgiving that most Cave titles, and has lots of little tricks for scoring etc. Also - it looks fabulous too, even if a lot of the GFX are kinda copied from DDP stuff previously.

I'd love to know more about it - anyone? I've read all the shmup article stuff...
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

colinmac wrote:Gotta say, despite it being 'not quite a Cave title, as it's technically a license', I'm *really* enjoying DDP2 BeeStorm a lot.

It's a little more forgiving that most Cave titles, and has lots of little tricks for scoring etc. Also - it looks fabulous too, even if a lot of the GFX are kinda copied from DDP stuff previously.

I'd love to know more about it - anyone? I've read all the shmup article stuff...
I always jump in when i read something about Bee Storm, i really LOVE the game and kind of annoys me the hate everybody have towards this game. But it seems like this is gradually changing, everybody who tries it changes opinion.

Sure it's not at pair with Dodonpachi or Daioujou, but it's still great nonetheless.
colinmac
Please Continue...

Post by colinmac »

And my cart and mobo are just soo shiny. The POP art is an odd size though, but it's the first (and likely, only!) full kit I'll ever likely spend cash on, as they're all just stupidly priced now, sadly.

Well chuffed with the purchase...
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

Does the PGM 2 have a battery like the original PGM?

I've searched but can't seem fo find this info :problem:

If i remember, it's just a 2032 cell or similar, right? No risk of damage like the original ones?
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

The cart uses a standard CR2032 battery.

Heres a guide to changing it http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33476
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

Paulie wrote:The cart uses a standard CR2032 battery.

Heres a guide to changing it http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33476
Thanks Paulie, i missed that thread.

Seems like i will make my debut on the PGM2 :awe:

I will post a pick if everything goes according to plan.
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

Cool :awe:
I can highly recommend Oriental Legend 2, KOV 3 & 2 (in that order), I've still not played any of the others titles on original hardware.
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

crunchywasp wrote:Ketsui and DOJ on PGM are hacks using sacrificial carts. I seem to remember reading that they're badly made and the pcb's covered in spunk/hot glue. I spoke to a member here a while ago that had bought both and he reckoned the games are identical. I wouldn't line the guy that makes the carts pockets though and I'd suspect they'd be unreliable. I'd far rather pay the extra and have the originals. Aren't the bootleg carts circa £150? I'm sure someone here can confirm and give you more accurate info :)
These carts are made a fellow known as Joerg, a well known bootlegger who likes to add his own protection schemes to his "products" in order to protect his cash flow. He's most notorious for conversions such as Ketsui & DOJ for PGM2, Ikaruga on Naomi cart, Otomedius and DS2 on TX2, etc.

The moneyshots all over the carts I suspect are to "protect" his "trade secrets", similar to how Drakon, a notorious console modder spunks all over his mod work to make sure people only go to him for his "excellent" mod work.

Think of it as the equivalent of black goop, only it's hot glue, because you can buy hot glue from the variety store for next to nothing.