The IGS PGM thread

Coin-operated games and arcades.
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

Re: The IGS PGM thread

Post by cthulhu »

eathis wrote:I received yesterday another answer where they confirm me that Killing Blade Plus and Oriental Legend Super Plus are IGS official releases
Killing Blade Plus is indeed an original game, which was comfirmed by IGS when I wrote them a while ago. Now we can definitely put the whole bootleg or not debate behind us, after two people (eathis and me) got the same answer.
IGS is very friendly in their communications and also very keen to answer questions about older games they produced. I was pleasanly surprised to actually get an answer from them.
Reminds me to buy more PGM games.
My Arcade games

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

cthulhu wrote:Killing Blade Plus is indeed an original game, which was comfirmed by IGS when I wrote them a while ago. Now we can definitely put the whole bootleg or not debate behind us, after two people (eathis and me) got the same answer.
Definitely.
cthulhu wrote:Reminds me to buy more PGM games.
:awe:
eathis
Please Continue...

Post by eathis »

Happy if I help to make it sure about OLSP and KBP guys :D

@ cthulhu = I was sure that KBP is an official IGS game and you previews post confirm me that but like I ask for OLSP in my mails to IGS I also ask for KBP just to see what they will tell me^^

Now I'm asking something else. I wonder what are the last official versions of Knights Of Valor and Knights Of Valor 2.
I was sure that the 2 following games were the last official ones:
_KOV Super Heroes
_KOV 2 Nine Dragons

But on the net I read something about:
_KOV Super Heroes Plus
_KOV 2 Plus: Nine Dragons

Did somebody can tell me which version of each games is the last official IGS realeses please?

Is there a way to recognize it? I found nothing about these 2 versions, no pictures of the cards or PCB, nothing
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

I have KOV SH+ there is a photo of my collection (all 29 official releases) in my 1st post, but I'll add it again here :) It's the 3rd cartridge from the bottom in the middle row (below 9 dragons and above martial masters).

I've PM'd you with a link to a Chinese seller who currently has one for sale :)

What titles / Regions are in the above photograph [table]
[tr][td]Row[/td][tr][td]Title[/td][td]Region[/td][td]Revision[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Left[/td][tr][td]1. Blazing 3-in-1[/td][td]China[/td][td]V102[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Left[/td][tr][td]2. Demon Front[/td][td]Korea[/td][td]M105XX S105XX S100KR[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Left[/td][tr][td]3. Do DonPachi II Bee Storm[/td][td]Japan[/td][td]V100[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Left[/td][tr][td]4. Dragon World II[/td][td]Korea[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Left[/td][tr][td]5. Dragon World 3[/td][td]All countries excepting China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Left[/td][tr][td]6. Dragon World 3 EX[/td][td]Taiwan[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Left[/td][tr][td]7. Dragon World 3 Special[/td][td]Japan[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Left[/td][tr][td]8. Dragon World 2001[/td][td]Japan[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Left[/td][tr][td]9. Dragon World Pretty Chance[/td][td]China[/td][td]V102[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Left[/td][tr][td]10. Happy 6-in-1[/td][td]China[/td][td]V101[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Middle[/td][tr][td]11. Killing Blade[/td][td]China[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Middle[/td][tr][td]12. Killing Blade Plus[/td][td]China[/td][td]V300[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Middle[/td][tr][td]13. Knights of Valour[/td][td]Japan[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Middle[/td][tr][td]14. Knights of Valour Plus[/td][td]Taiwan[/td][td]V119[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Middle[/td][tr][td]15. Knights of Valour Super Heroes[/td][td]China[/td][td]V104[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Middle[/td][tr][td]16. Knights of Valour 2[/td][td]Hong Kong[/td][td]V100[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Middle[/td][tr][td]17. Knights of Valour 2: Nine Dragons[/td][td]All countries excepting China, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea[/td][td]M204XX[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Middle[/td][tr][td]18. Knights of Valour Super Heroes Plus[/td][td]China[/td][td]V101[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Middle[/td][tr][td]19. Martial Masters[/td][td]China[/td][td]V104, V102, V101[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Middle[/td][tr][td]20. Oriental Legend[/td][td]China[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Right[/td][tr][td]21. Oriental Legend Super[/td][td]China[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Right[/td][tr][td]22. Oriental Legend Super Plus[/td][td]China[/td][td]V205[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Right[/td][tr][td]23. Puzzle Star[/td][td]Taiwan[/td][td]V0001[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Right[/td][tr][td]24. Puzzli 2[/td][td]Hong Kong[/td][td]V0001[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Right[/td][tr][td]25. Puzzli 2 Super[/td][td]China[/td][td]V200[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Right[/td][tr][td]26. Real and Fake[/td][td]Taiwan[/td][td]V104[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Right[/td][tr][td]27. Real and Fake 2[/td][td]Taiwan[/td][td]V100[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Right[/td][tr][td]28. Spectral Vs Generation[/td][td]China[/td][td]V200[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Right[/td][tr][td]29. The Gladiator[/td][td]China[/td][td]V101, V107[/td][/tr][/table]

KOV 2 Plus: Nine Dragons is just KOV 2: Nine Dragons I think. The plus probably got added in translation although it would be awesome if it was actually another release 8-)
Last edited by Paulie on December 28th, 2014, 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
eathis
Please Continue...

Post by eathis »

Thanks for answer Paulie and congrats for your PGM collection this is awesome, very impressive ;)

I agree with you about KOV 2 Plus: Nine Dragons. This doesn't looks like the "Plus" version of Oriental Legend, Killing Blade and KOV Super Heroes which were released in 2004 and 2005.
KOV 2 Plus: Nine Dragons was released earlier, in 2000.

And no matter where I check on the net (for example on system16 website here: http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=809 ), I only found one line for KOV2 ND, sometimes it's called KOV 2 ND and sometimes KOV 2 PND I never found the 2 names in the same list with different release date for example.

Maybe I can try to confirm it by sending another mail to IGS.
I wish they will answer me again

Edit: I check on emulation sites by curiosity and I haven't found different roms for KOV 2 PND and KOV2 ND. Only the rom of KOV 2 PND.
All the other versions of KOV and KOV are dumped, sounds like KOV 2 ND and KOV 2 PND are the same game.
jase

Post by jase »

Well I received a reply to my email, really happy to get a reply. You can see my questions in bold. :D

Hi Jason,

Have a nice day. This letter comes from IGS in Taiwan. It’s our pleasure to get your mail this morning.

First of all, thanks for your deeply support toward our PGM system. We had many popular and successful PGM games in the past.

However, because of different market trend, our PGM system had phased out for years already. In further, most of PGM team members had quitted.

We will try our best to answer the questions you inquiry. Please find them as below. Thanks.

1. Please could you confirm that there were 29 official IGS PGM1 titles released in cartridge format.

A: Frankly, I can’t confirm if it’s 29 official game titles for PGM system. PGM system divided into fighting, shooting, puzzle and etc. And it’s different packages and game titles by markets. So, that’s why I can’t confirm it. But, if you have game listed, I could help you to confirm if it was released by IGS.

2. Demon Front and Dodonpachi II: Bee Storm are unique games to the system, being the only run and gun game and shoot em up respectively. Was a sequel to Demon Front ever considered? Also were any more Cave titles considered for release in cartridge format?

A:Bee Storm and Dodonpachi II are not the same series game.

3. I've recently been playing Spectral vs Generation and I see there are different revisions of this title. Do you have any information available on what the differences are between these versions?

China M68K Version 200 09/15/05 15:06:10 V200 A: fixing bug
China M68K Version 200 10/11/05 10:07:20 V201 A: 1) modify HP toward evil master by different level. 2) adjust AI toward some characters.
China M68K Version 200 12/26/05 16:15:36 V202 A: Fixing bug

I hope above replied could be complying with your request.

Best Regards,
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

That's awesome stuff Jase 8-)
eathis
Please Continue...

Post by eathis »

Thanks for sharing jase ;)

It's interesting to have more details about the differences between Spectral VS Generation revisions :D .
They don't talk about the 2 hidden characters directly unlock and the 2nd round music which is not changing anymore in the last versions.

I recently sell the PCB version of SVG and in this version (PCB version is japanese version) the 2 hidden characters were not unlocked, in my card version they are directly playable.
I don't remember if the 2nd round music is changing in my SVG card, I will check it and check which revision it is.

I send another mail to IGS to try to know if KOV 2 Plus: Nine Dragons and KOV 2: Nine Dragons are the same game but the person don't really know.
I also ask if they will edit some new games on PGM 2 and PGM 3 of different types like shooting games or fighting games and sadely it looks like they will not :(
Like they say in the answer jase received the teams are reduced and the oldtimers are gone.

The answer I received:
Hello Brahim,

As you know, the PGM market is becoming small year by year. And game market has much changed during recent years.

Because of market change, our inner human organization has adjusted as well. So, we don’t have new plan to make PGM games to PGM 2 or 3 in the soon future.

Please understand it.

Regarding KOV2, the name of KOV2: Nine Dragons is official game title. But, it has another 3 game titles by Taiwan, China and Japan. I don’t know KOV 2 plus, and it is not exist in our database.

Best Regards
PGM 3 already dead ? That's sad :(
jase

Post by jase »

Interesting reading, thanks for sharing eathis. :thumbup: :D

Sad to hear they don't have any more games planned for PGM3. :(
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

Thanks for sharing this Brahim :thumbupright:

Yes it's sad that there is nothing else planned for PGM3 :( still looking forward to adding it to the collection though.
StandardDeluxe
Please Continue...

Post by StandardDeluxe »

So KoV3 is the only game for the PGM3 hardware?
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

Yep, and it certainly sounds like that will be it for PGM3 :(
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Paulie wrote:Yep, and it certainly sounds like that will be it for PGM3 :(
:( I played some KOV3HD while I was in Hong Kong and it was awesome. I bought two cards for it that I assume are for the HK market only. Souveniers of sadness. :( (they have this company's logo on them: http://www.huatongame.com/en/index.asp )

I wish a company from Taiwan, Hong Kong or mainland China would make a new home console for the Chinese market. That would be quite something.
Emulation's nice when done well
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

TheRedKnight wrote:I played some KOV3HD while I was in Hong Kong and it was awesome.
8-) it looks great in the vids I've watched. I've yet to play it, I don't know of anyone in the UK who has PGM3, but prices don't need to fall too much further for me to take the plunge.
TheRedKnight wrote:I bought two cards for it that I assume are for the HK market only. Souveniers of sadness. :( (they have this company's logo on them: http://www.huatongame.com/en/index.asp )

I wish a company from Taiwan, Hong Kong or mainland China would make a new home console for the Chinese market. That would be quite something.
The cards have nice artwork, cool souvenir of your trip too 8-)

Yeah a new home console from one of those countries would be cool. I used to have a Hong Kong Nintendo IQue that was pretty cool, weirdly my dad picked it up for me at a local car boot sale, it was all like brand new but foolishly I sold it on ebay :palm:
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

I have had KOV3, but not the HD version, it was the PGM2 version. Great game, but I sold it because the game can't be finished...it doesn't have an ending, it's just fighting until you've had enough. I need a game to have an actual ending, even if it's just end credits.
My Arcade games

eathis
Please Continue...

Post by eathis »

You mean the game had many loops?
Since you finish you go back to stage 1 but more difficult or something like that ?
StandardDeluxe
Please Continue...

Post by StandardDeluxe »

I'm not sure I could get into something I know I can't complete. It's like an ultimate OCD nightmare :problem:

So what's KoV2 like? Is that the one with the card readers for it? Do you actually need the cards, and what do they do?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

eathis wrote:You mean the game had many loops?
Since you finish you go back to stage 1 but more difficult or something like that ?
Not even that. After you finish and unlock all areas you can just choose to play them anytime you want...it just goes on and on without ever ending. Using a save card will keep all areas unlocked, so you can play them all next time you start up the game.
Still it's a great game with lots of secrets to uncover, but there's no real goal except for unlocking all secret areas.
My Arcade games

Paulie

Post by Paulie »

eathis wrote:You mean the game had many loops?
I've also got KOV3 on PGM2 (I'm not sure what if differences there are between this and KOV3HD on PGM3 other than the later being HD)

I rarely get more than an hour or to game so I haven't explored this title as much as I would like to / should have yet. Also that reminds me I hadn't picked up a set of IC cards for this title
EDIT: just bought a set from HK Legend via ebay for about £13 so not too bad.
I'm not aware of the difficulty changing when you re-play an area but I have read there are differences like being able to fully explore an area rather than go to the boss. If anything I guess it should be easier as your character should be stronger the more you play, with better weapons and stuff bought from the shop as your character is saved to the IC cards.

In this game you play an area (there are 5 stages each with 5 areas), completing an area unlocks it once unlocked you can choose to play that area as many times as you wish, the same happens for every area, the game only ends when you lose all of your lives or the timer runs out, so cannot be completed.
StandardDeluxe wrote:I'm not sure I could get into something I know I can't complete. It's like an ultimate OCD nightmare :problem:

So what's KoV2 like? Is that the one with the card readers for it? Do you actually need the cards, and what do they do?
KOV3, like all KOV games is pretty massive so it would need to be a mammoth gaming session for you to keep replaying levels over and over in one sitting.

Are you talking about KOV2 on PGM2? if so then it's great but not a different game as such to what was on PGM1. IC cards save your character stats, so you can play without them, for example it would be ok if you were to play an occasional game but you would want them if you want to get into the game. You can save 1 character per card and use it 500 times then you need to transfer data to another card.
StandardDeluxe
Please Continue...

Post by StandardDeluxe »

Ok, thanks for the explanations.

I think I'll just stick to the games on the original PGM hardware. Although I might give the Atomiswave version another crack at some point.

It's certainly a shame that the PGM3 has essentially been abandoned after just one game though :cry: