NG: DEV.Team: Razion

Coin-operated games and arcades.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: NG: DEV.Team: Razion

Post by cools »

Again, they've made all the backgrounds animate nicely but forgotten to do anything with the bits you actually look at - the bullets and medals. Drab and static, and with no weight
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Alright, but there's about 200 worse looking games on the NeoGeo. They're obviously no Irem, but I'm glad they exist and they're building on experience with each game. It looks unrefined and unashamed, but a laugh.
crunchywasp wrote:and the gently thrusting robocock just before the dildos.
Multiple Borg-plasm :fastlove:

Oh yes, I spotted him straight away. :lol:
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

1000000 times better than any game i could make :awe:

which is not saying much i can barely draw stickmen
Last edited by geotrig on June 5th, 2014, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

pubjoe wrote:Alright, but there's about 200 worse looking games on the NeoGeo. They're obviously no Irem, but I'm glad they exist and they're building on experience with each game. It looks unrefined and unashamed, but a laugh.
Maybe 20, but not 200. No way. :think:

I won't say anything else because I don't want to bash on a developer that does whatever they want to do. I'll bash the **** out of Capcom instead. :awe:
Emulation's nice when done well
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

cools wrote:Again, they've made all the backgrounds animate nicely but forgotten to do anything with the bits you actually look at - the bullets and medals. Drab and static, and with no weight
I had similar issues with Sturmwind.

Gorgeous backgrounds - bullets and power ups drab beyond belief.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

cools wrote:Again, they've made all the backgrounds animate nicely but forgotten to do anything with the bits you actually look at - the bullets and medals. Drab and static, and with no weight
On first viewing I was hoping that this is an early version, like the first Neo XYX trailer which was missing loads of animation found in the final release. At 80% complete with an autumn release however, it doesn't look like it.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

How is this game worth buying compared to say, Andro Dunos, Blazing Star etc? I mean, they are complete, and decent games with good game play. I doubt there's anything special about this game's game play, except that it'll feel cheap. But it won't be cheap. :problem:
theMot

Post by theMot »

emphatic wrote:How is this game worth buying compared to say, Andro Dunos, Blazing Star etc? I mean, they are complete, and decent games with good game play. I doubt there's anything special about this game's game play, except that it'll feel cheap. But it won't be cheap. :problem:
I wasn't able to buy Andro Dunos or Blazing star new. This gives me the whole experience of discovering something new along with others in the community for the first time, talking about it all, seeing who can finish it first etc. It's an experience. You don't quite get the same feeling from playing something that has been around 10 years already. Plus i just really like the neo :D

And besides all that I do really like playing their games, they are fun. Not a polished as something from Cave obviously but i have just as much fun with them.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Can't really argue with that.

A team of guys actually making games on old arcade hardware, today. It sounds stupid, but my boyhood dream is to do something like this, rather than be tiny part at a big studio. The result is rougher but passionate games. It'd be nice to feel a part of this simply by playing it.

This is another of their games that reminds me of the Amiga. Attention grabbing graphics and a cool spin on a genre - with a 'who cares if it's a rip-off' attitude - but always lacking the polish of console games. The big sprites in this are quite like project X. ...Which I never really liked. :palm:
LegoYoda
eBay: neomonster
Initials: AGD

Post by LegoYoda »

theMot wrote: I wasn't able to buy Andro Dunos or Blazing star new. This gives me the whole experience of discovering something new along with others in the community for the first time, talking about it all, seeing who can finish it first etc. It's an experience. You don't quite get the same feeling from playing something that has been around 10 years already. Plus i just really like the neo :D

And besides all that I do really like playing their games, they are fun. Not a polished as something from Cave obviously but i have just as much fun with them.
This is kinda why I 'm interested, it looks pretty fun (if not SuperAwesomeMegaFantastic) and it's on hardware that I love the style of and have in a form thats (probably) not going to break down for a good few years. Yes the price of entry is expensive but, if i want to play this game, this is probably the cheapest chance I'll get! :roll:
Alec
----------------------------------------
Owning a Blast City: Fixing and Repairing -http://retrogamingstuff.wordpress.com/
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

Fun reading why people justify spending $600 on a mediocre game. Makes me feel all warm and tingly :P

I do understand the whole "ZOMG NEW" game sensation, but it wears off pretty fast and then you are left with either something worthwhile or something that gets shelved for years to come. I am pretty certain most people aren't playing most of these NG:DEV releases much after initial launch. I'm still waiting for someone on n-g forum to clear NeoXYX. :geek:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Well to be honest, I'm thinking of buying it for a few goes and then selling it for most, if not all, of my money back. :shifty:

Seems both early and harsh to call it mediocre. I'm proud to own some jamma boards that I love while others call mediocre.
Tarma
Please Continue...
eBay: king-o-cheese

Post by Tarma »

pubjoe wrote:Well to be honest, I'm thinking of buying it for a few goes and then selling it for most, if not all, of my money back. :shifty:

Seems both early and harsh to call it mediocre. I'm proud to own some jamma boards that I love while others call mediocre.
Going on previous market demand, you probably can't go wrong with that strategy.

Nevertheless, there'll always be games that one person find "meh" that another finds "yay".

Alas, I'm firmly in the "meh" boat with NG:Dev. Their stuff is very expensive homebrew in my opinion, shameless rip-off's of other franchises that do it better, and not much else. If the AES/MVS is so expensive to produce for then why not publish to PC? Wider market, more profit in theory... their business model makes no sense to me.

Oh well, whatever. :eh:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Tarma wrote:If the AES/MVS is so expensive to produce for then why not publish to PC?
Simply because they want to. It's an arcade style game on arcade hardware. And it happens to ensure that anyone playing it will probably experience it with the proper hardware set up. A CRT and joysticks.

This is what I was getting at before. Given the time, I'd love to work on my own game (actually I have a bit :oops: ). I don't want to design a smartphone game or PC game, I want to design a traditional arcade game. Many indie devs have gone in with the same attitude, but they've been realistic about the market and also bailed on the restrictions of arcade hardware .. and just made an arcade-ish PC game instead. NGDev have gone All-in. It's stupid from a business standpoint, but then again, at least NG Dev have their own niche market to themselves. A niche market that happens to have deep pockets - which is fortunate, as a high price is the only way that this can work.

I thought what's the point in getting a worse ripoff when I saw their first Turrican-like game. With this one now, a dirty shmup MOARgasm ...I think I get it.
LegoYoda
eBay: neomonster
Initials: AGD

Post by LegoYoda »

There's also the expectation of graphical quality for a given platform. These games look great for a Neo Geo but on a PC monitor capable of beyone Full HD resolutions? the market probably look twice. Selling to a market as dedicated as the Arcade scene people is a good strategy when you're running at 320 x 200
Alec
----------------------------------------
Owning a Blast City: Fixing and Repairing -http://retrogamingstuff.wordpress.com/
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

pubjoe wrote:Given the time, I'd love to work on my own game (actually I have a bit :oops: )
MVS Flappy Bird 2 perchance? :think:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

:lol:
Tarma
Please Continue...
eBay: king-o-cheese

Post by Tarma »

LegoYoda wrote:There's also the expectation of graphical quality for a given platform. These games look great for a Neo Geo but on a PC monitor capable of beyone Full HD resolutions? the market probably look twice. Selling to a market as dedicated as the Arcade scene people is a good strategy when you're running at 320 x 200
So, basically, what you're saying is they're good enough to develop a $600 homebrew title, but can't cut the mustard with a game that would cost, what, $5?? :wtf:

I get the whole arcade game on arcade hardware thing... that's what Cave does (did)... a hell of a lot better and for not much more (relatively speaking). If these guys weren't doing it for money I'd buy into it a bit more, but the fact that they're now shovelling out titles fairly regularly suggests to me that they're making hay while the sunshine's with people who won't think twice about dropping $600 on a homebrew game.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

If only NG:DEV would put time into creating a really great engine to base their game around instead of re-using the same half-assed one, their games would be good. But no, instead they count on the buyers to only care about flashy paper and "smooth backgrounds". :roll: I'm sure that NEO-XYX is better on MVS, but just look at how the medals move or how the ship moves faster diagonally than in the four main directions. :problem: Half-assed.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

pubjoe wrote:I'm proud to own some jamma boards that I love while others call mediocre.
Hear hear, same here. But... My reasons from staying away from some stuff (NGDEV is the perfect example) is simply because I can't see the point in paying so much for a game. I'd rather get late 80s mediocre shmup by Alpha Denshi than a brand spanking new mediocre shmup by NGDEV if the price difference is about 400 euros...

Falling in love with buying things is a dangerous thing.
Emulation's nice when done well