Monster Land English : from Encryption to Decryption...

Coin-operated games and arcades.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Re: Monster Land English : from Encryption to Decryption...

Post by pubjoe »

I was planning on doing the same but I'll never get round to it. I do have an original card but it's very faded. It's also torn in places but not so much that it isn't fixable. I'm happy to scan it for you but colour matching will be guess work. Cools' would be better if he can find a scanner but if you're eager I can probably scan mine tonight.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I think my problem is I'm hung up on doing A3 scans. Yet I think the only piece I have that size is Mr Driller...
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Yeah don't worry about it. Stitching isn't a big problem.

mpatou, sorry I don't know why I said I'd do a scan tonight. It's my toddler's birthday today, he's poorly, and my scanner is noisy. I stupidly imagined a world where I'd get a few minutes to do it. ...Sigh. :roll:
keropi
Please Continue...
eBay: sainshov

Post by keropi »

sorry for the bump but whatever happened to mpatou's decrypted+fixed romset?
It seems it disappeared from the net, what is the reason behind it?!
mpatou
Please Continue...
eBay: mpatard1

Post by mpatou »

Hi
jammarcade.net has removed all sega decrypted romfiles to prevent SEGA (which is fighting against emulation, juste like Nintendo) to close the website.
But "my" romsets has been emulated with Mame for years now, si you can find them on emulation and arcade romfiles download websites.
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

mpatou wrote: December 21st, 2018, 9:27 pm Hi
jammarcade.net has removed all sega decrypted romfiles to prevent SEGA (which is fighting against emulation, juste like Nintendo) to close the website.
But "my" romsets has been emulated with Mame for years now, si you can find them on emulation and arcade romfiles download websites.
hey mpatou!
first of all, thanks for that decryption, it really is great from what I read!
is your set the one called "wbmlvcd.zip" ?

I am trying to get a board I bought to work, you can read about my dealings with a shady seller here if you want: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/wonderboiy-i ... ml#1071146
I fear I lost my money and time on this one... :cry:
mpatou
Please Continue...

Post by mpatou »

Yes, that's wbmlvcd.zip. But be advised this romset will not work as it on a modified PCB or on a bootleg : depending on the hardware (aka the romchips that are already on it), files modifications might be necessary.
As to your deal on ebay, I'm really sorry to read this. But like they said on the other board : do never ever pay anything online with IBAN, or Paypal gift...
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

Well, IBAN was the only payment option ... Anyways...

It is my understanding the board I got already runs the decrypted set - all eproms on it are 27C256 and there is a normal Z80 cpu at IC55 installed on it. Does it need anything more to run your set?
mpatou
Please Continue...

Post by mpatou »

I don't understand if you already have a wbml pcb, or if you're talking about the one you paid and haven't recieved yet.
I wonder because if it has a regular z80 as a cpu and 27(c)256 eproms only, it certainly runs with my decrypted romset already, as long as all other decrypted romsets require at least two 27(c)512.
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

The pics I posted on ukvac are the board I received from that seller. I have it at hand.
I'm gonna dump the roms and see what I get. Also will redo that wiring that replace the mcu in the hopes it will work :\
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

got it running...
removed the dud/weird "mcu" and made some connections at the back to match this schematic (source here but it's fixed since a connection was missing)

thanks mpatou for the help and for creating this romset! :awe:
Muerto
eBay: muerto75
Initials: MTO

Post by Muerto »

I just stumbled over this thread..

Late November last year I "won" this of off eBay:

This was the picture in the add:

This is what I recieved:

This is the backside of the “daughterboard”

It is working, and playing as a WIM, but with the good version text/English:

Here is a video of the gameplay - Sumes 1CC's the game
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

This is my board (from the same seller) after some cosmetic changes and recap:

Here is what I found so far :D

- both our boards run mpatou's decrypted roms
- Muerto's board seem to be an earlier revision there custom chips were implemented in daughterboards - the mainboards are different for sure
- I ditched the dud? IC and the wiring underneath and used GadgetFreak's 839-0001 replacement pcb so it looks better :awe: also printed some eprom labels....
- replaced electrolytic and tantalum caps , IMHO tantalums should be replaced ASAP on these old boards
- also replaced the 2x Z80s with newer and cooler Toshiba ones (ocd? maybe :lol: )
- I also want to replace the mkp? mkt? caps on the sound section (the brown ones) but I am not sure what they are tbh
- I will also replace the 6x SRAM ICs here:

they just reach insane temps and I just don't like it :lol: , no wonder they are ceramic ones.
I chose the HM6148HLP-55 as replacements, being cmos they should be run much cooler.
My goal is to help the board running for another 30 years, if it means I will have to replace some really old components then so be it.

I also found that my board is really 5v hungry: I have to set my meanwell psu to ~5.25v so the board will start and be stable without resetting. There is a god amount of voltage drop - the far-end gfx roms operate with ~4.8v , maybe replacing the really old srams will help on that regard.

Overall the board needed some love to get going in my case but I am still satisfied because I could not get one anywhere else... :)
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

keropi wrote: January 4th, 2019, 1:56 pmThere is a god amount of voltage drop - the far-end gfx roms operate with ~4.8v , maybe replacing the really old srams will help on that regard.
You could run an additional power line to the far end of the board. It's actually a pretty common practice on older boards.
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

nem wrote: January 4th, 2019, 3:22 pm
keropi wrote: January 4th, 2019, 1:56 pmThere is a god amount of voltage drop - the far-end gfx roms operate with ~4.8v , maybe replacing the really old srams will help on that regard.
You could run an additional power line to the far end of the board. It's actually a pretty common practice on older boards.
really? I had no idea
I'll see what happens once the 6 little furnaces get replaced , thanks for the tip!
Lobsterboi
Please Continue...
eBay: Duckman7890
Initials: BRM

Post by Lobsterboi »

Hi, I have the following Monster Land I recently purchased, I believe it is a Galaxy Bootleg? Do these English romsets work without any modification? If so could you assist in letting me know which EEPROMS need replacing and matching rom file? Let me know if you need anymore information.

GalaxyWB.jpg

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mpatou
Please Continue...

Post by mpatou »

Hello

Yes, it's gonna work. You'll just need to use the appropriate romset, depending on the size of the main prog eproms ( 27(c)256 or 27(c)512 )
Lobsterboi
Please Continue...
eBay: Duckman7890
Initials: BRM

Post by Lobsterboi »

Thanks that's great news, below is the sizes, I believe roms 5-10 need to be replace? Where is the best location now to get a copy of the 256kb and 512kb romsets and do you know with rom I need to write to each eprom?

1 - 256kb
2 - 256kb
3 - 256kb
4 - 256kb
5 - 512kb
6 - 512kb
7 - 256kb
8 - 256kb
9 - 256kb
10 - 256kb
11 - 256kb

Thanks again.
mpatou
Please Continue...

Post by mpatou »

You've got a private message ;)
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

finally replaced the ceramic ram ICs :

the difference in heat is just too great. From 80 degrees "burn finger in 2sec" temps now the new ones work at 25~30max - they are still 1986 devices after all... IMHO it's a must to replace along the tantalum caps. I will measure later if the new ram also affected the voltage drop on the board.