NaoPi - a Raspberry Pi as Naomi loader

Coin-operated games and arcades.
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Re: NaoPi - a Raspberry Pi as Naomi loader

Post by andygeezer »

Paolo63 wrote:Thanks Andy... can you please add an "import time" and a "time.sleep(3)" on the naopi.py between the dummy_dhcp.execute() and the triforcetools.loadGame(...) lines ?
I think it's simply too fast for the triforce while the netdimm seems to have no problem on this and i prefer to use dhcp.

About the mounting, why are you suggesting that ? For partitioned memory sticks ? Uhm... I'll put on your idea, thanks.

And your was a Triforce type 3, right ?

Thanks again !

Paolo
Yes type3 triforce.

These type 3 boards Chihiro and triforce use the same network board and there is a lot of firmware variations from 11.01 to 13.50!

The network board takes a while to init, so I think your right in there needs to be at least a 30-40 second delay if you want dhcp.
Say hello to my little friend...
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

andygeezer wrote:
Paolo63 wrote:Thanks Andy... can you please add an "import time" and a "time.sleep(3)" on the naopi.py between the dummy_dhcp.execute() and the triforcetools.loadGame(...) lines ?
I think it's simply too fast for the triforce while the netdimm seems to have no problem on this and i prefer to use dhcp.

About the mounting, why are you suggesting that ? For partitioned memory sticks ? Uhm... I'll put on your idea, thanks.

And your was a Triforce type 3, right ?

Thanks again !

Paolo
Yes type3 triforce.

These type 3 boards Chihiro and triforce use the same network board and there is a lot of firmware variations from 11.01 to 13.50!

The network board takes a while to init, so I think your right in there needs to be at least a 30-40 second delay if you want dhcp.
Wow, 30/40 secs ! No no, I think it's too much ! I hope a couple seconds will suffice. Try it if you want...
And about the firmware variations it's weird that my triforce and the joeks one have the same "numbers": main (boot: 3.01 - firm: 0.44 - fpga: 7.09) dimm (firm: 3.06) - net (firm: 13.05) but he can't boot while I've no problems... ah, and now we have the same pic too.
As someone told, they are a little more picky than the naomi :)

Probably I'll release a final version with that delay and the "if" on the mounting part. Then I'll have to go back to my job, my broken leg it's recovered... i hope :)

Thanks again

Paolo
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

Yes, adding time.sleep(3) worked, it is now booting automatically with DHCP enable.

So in theory Chihiro should also work 100% as they both use same network boards, and same concept.
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

andygeezer wrote: Yes, adding time.sleep(3) worked, it is now booting automatically with DHCP enable.

So in theory Chihiro should also work 100% as they both use same network boards, and same concept.
Yes... in theory... sadly I've joeks' triforce here, on my stomach :D

Thanks Andy ! Great to know I'm not the one with a netbooting triforce type 3 ;)

Paolo
joeks
eBay: barrybuise
Initials: BAJ

Post by joeks »

Paolo63 wrote:Yes... in theory... sadly I've joeks' triforce here, on my stomach :D
Don't be sorry Paolo! I can live with a weird-acting Triforce :D

But yes, it is strange that I CAN netboot with transfergame.exe but not with NaoPi.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

have you tried a different game file ? might be worth a shot

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
joeks
eBay: barrybuise
Initials: BAJ

Post by joeks »

geotrig wrote:have you tried a different game file ? might be worth a shot
Yes, all Triforce games available.
Games do boot perfectly fine with fixed ip and transfergame.exe
So the hardware is ok. Then it must be something in the difference between transfergame.exe and the python version I think.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

joeks wrote:
geotrig wrote:have you tried a different game file ? might be worth a shot
Yes, all Triforce games available.
Games do boot perfectly fine with fixed ip and transfergame.exe
So the hardware is ok. Then it must be something in the difference between transfergame.exe and the python version I think.
Try the naopi script without the DHCP and using set IP, that would work I imagine, as the concept of pushing data to the client is same on both.

The only other thing is the jumpers on your network board might be different to the norm, take a photo and I'll compare - There is no hardware differences from any of the type 3 triforces, unless you got a faulty one! :wtf:
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

andygeezer wrote: Try the naopi script without the DHCP and using set IP, that would work I imagine, as the concept of pushing data to the client is same on both.

The only other thing is the jumpers on your network board might be different to the norm, take a photo and I'll compare - There is no hardware differences from any of the type 3 triforces, unless you got a faulty one! :wtf:
We did the experiment with a fixed ip too and, judging from an image he sent me some times ago, he has the same jumper configuration as mine: jp 1 & 2 in position 1-2 and jp 3 & 4 in position 2-3

Mah...

Paolo
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

Paolo63 wrote:
andygeezer wrote: Try the naopi script without the DHCP and using set IP, that would work I imagine, as the concept of pushing data to the client is same on both.

We did the experiment with a fixed ip too and, judging from an image he sent me some times ago, he has the same jumper configuration as mine: jp 1 & 2 in position 1-2 and jp 3 & 4 in position 2-3

Mah...

Paolo
Must be network board and/or security chip. I can loan out a set if needed.
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

andygeezer wrote:
Must be network board and/or security chip. I can loan out a set if needed.
I've already sent him the chip I was using and still no results. And his triforce type 3 works flawlessy with transfergame.

The only thing I've thought is that there are really problems on his network board which the transfergame code, implementing the full protocol, can deal with where triforcetools, being minimal, fails.

Who knows :)

Anyway, this is the last week I can work on this thing... I have to return to my job next week, I had a broken leg but now it's more or less recovered... has been fun to create NaoPi and chat with you all :)

Thanks guys

Paolo
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

Today, I quickly tested on a Type 3 Chihiro and it worked same as Type 3 Triforce as expected.. :awe:
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

:awe: top stuff guys o// ,yeah have no issues getting it to load chihiro the last couple of times ,once i waited ,nealry time to put my chihiro back on the shelf :oops:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

Great, thanks !
I'll release a version with a little delay between the dhcp server and the triforcetools loader

Just for curiosity, do you know if there is some cheap adapter to use a digital joystick with a jvs game, like for instance a Naomi ?
I mean cheap, so not the typical fully fledged solutions with audio and video conversion/adaptation too, only the input so a person can play a Naomi game (with digital input) with only a normal vga monitor, audio amplifier, psu and this interface.
For instance, do you know if has anyone implemented the jvs protocol on an arduino ?
But perhaps I should open a new thread for this question...

Thanks again

Paolo
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

geotrig wrote::awe: top stuff guys o// ,yeah have no issues getting it to load chihiro the last couple of times ,once i waited ,nealry time to put my chihiro back on the shelf :oops:
Thanks... by the way, what type of chihiro ?
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

type 3 1gb

Chewable
Please Continue...

Post by Chewable »

I can not seem to get it to work with my Naomi.

I used WindowsDiskImager and I plugged the Pi into a monitor and saw that it booted into your system.

I created a folder called "naopi" on a USB drive and plugged it in.
I set the NetDimm to DHCP.

When my Naomi started it just sat on the "Checking Network" screen and kept flashing that.

I used the same ".bin" image with Transfer game and it worked after I gave it a static IP.

Not sure what I am missing.
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

Chewable wrote:I can not seem to get it to work with my Naomi.

I used WindowsDiskImager and I plugged the Pi into a monitor and saw that it booted into your system.

I created a folder called "naopi" on a USB drive and plugged it in.
I set the NetDimm to DHCP.

When my Naomi started it just sat on the "Checking Network" screen and kept flashing that.

I used the same ".bin" image with Transfer game and it worked after I gave it a static IP.

Not sure what I am missing.
Hi ! Thanks for trying !
Can you please create e log file ? To do so you should create a text file named naopi.cfg in the same folder where you've put the .bin file and in this file you've to write this line only: "logfile=naopi.log" naturally without the double quotes.
After you've done a new try you'll find the log file named naopi.log in that same directory.

Thanks

Paolo
Chewable
Please Continue...

Post by Chewable »

I will not be able to try this until late tonight. I have to help set-up arcade machines at Emerald City Comic Con today I will not be home until late tonight.

I will test it then and let you know.

Thank you for the help.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

try another image as well