NaoPi - a Raspberry Pi as Naomi loader

Coin-operated games and arcades.
joeks
eBay: barrybuise
Initials: BAJ

Re: NaoPi - a Raspberry Pi as Naomi loader

Post by joeks »

Yes I am here :) see you in the chat Paolo!

Just finished a couple tests after editting the naopi.py (for adding the time delay).
You can read the log here log http://pastebin.com/EfXkc5xL"

Doesn't work just yet, but at least now it does SOMETHING everytime :)

After powering the Triforce and Pi on, I see the normal Triforce boot logo.
Then after a couple seconds I hear the reboot sound but screen stays on "waiting for network".. which is a bit strange afaik.
Normally the reboot sound and logo animation appear at the same time, together.

EDIT: After booting, Triforce displays "checking network please wait.."
Then after about 20-30 seconds it reboots into "error 31 - game not acceptable by main board".
The 20-30 seconds can't be a complete game transfer, right? normally using transfergame it takes about 1-2 minutes?

Triforce set like this:
network type = ether
remote = enable
region = export (which used to work with mariokartgp2.bin)

Keeps coming up with error 31 - game not acceptable by main board.

Wouldn't it be possible to test it with a fixed ip?
like i can enter the ip to my triforce in naopi.cfg or something?

Thanks for your time Paolo!
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

I've sent you a pm, and I'm on the chat
and thanks

and these are the switches. To netboot they are both on (up in this image). When the triforce was set as gdrom the #2 (the right one) was off (down)

Paolo
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

Ok, now I've updated my Triforce using the system update inside the VS 2006 image and I've the same values as firmware as yours, still the NaoPi loader works flawlessy...
we will find the culprit !
perhaps...
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

My memory is poor, but someone told me mkgp games dont netboot via python script.

He might have been a dumbarse though. :roll:
Say hello to my little friend...
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

andygeezer wrote:My memory is poor, :
sounds like my memory these days

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

andygeezer wrote:My memory is poor, but someone told me mkgp games dont netboot via python script.

Hi Andy, nice to read you :)

As a fact in my Triforce I can easily net boot the mkgp using the triforcetools script, via NaoPi or PC, as you can see in the picture below, but it's a fact also that the good old joeks can't :(

For sure the python implementation is minimal, it's not like the transfergame. The triforcetools script does not check if the loading is going ok. As an example if I put back the #2 switch to off, returning to a gdrom triforce, the triforcetools "upload" the game till the end while the transfergame doesn't even start, probably interpreting a game feedback.

But actually we have the same hardware (a raspberry and a triforce type 3) and the same software (NaoPi and the same firmware version as seen from the triforce system info) but something is not working for him.
Cables ? A little too fast raspberry ? Security chip ? What else ?

Sadly it's not easy for me to find the problem from remote although joeks has been super collaborative.

I don't know... I'm thinking :)

Paolo

andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

Paolo63 wrote:
andygeezer wrote:My memory is poor, but someone told me mkgp games dont netboot via python script.

Hi Andy, nice to read you :)

As a fact in my Triforce I can easily net boot the mkgp using the triforcetools script, via NaoPi or PC, as you can see in the picture below, but it's a fact also that the good old joeks can't :(

For sure the python implementation is minimal, it's not like the transfergame. The triforcetools script does not check if the loading is going ok. As an example if I put back the #2 switch to off, returning to a gdrom triforce, the triforcetools "upload" the game till the end while the transfergame doesn't even start, probably interpreting a game feedback.

But actually we have the same hardware (a raspberry and a triforce type 3) and the same software (NaoPi and the same firmware version as seen from the triforce system info) but something is not working for him.
Cables ? A little too fast raspberry ? Security chip ? What else ?

Sadly it's not easy for me to find the problem from remote although joeks has been super collaborative.

I don't know... I'm thinking :)

Paolo

Solution for some was a null netboot PIC chip, while all type3 triforces look the same there is quite a few FPGA firmwares present. Yours sounds like it has a stock one as vs4 wants to update the firmware.
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

andygeezer wrote: Solution for some was a null netboot PIC chip, while all type3 triforces look the same there is quite a few FPGA firmwares present. Yours sounds like it has a stock one as vs4 wants to update the firmware.
It's not still clear for me if there are different versions of null/net boot PIC chip.

Anyway, using the only PIC I've (the same I've used for the Naomi), I "netboted" when I had these versions:
main (boot: 2.17 - firm: 0.44 - fpga: 7.09) dimm (firm: 1.15) - net (firm: 12.11)
and I continue to boot via net now that I've updated my Triforce using the VS4 system update to these versions:
main (boot: 3.01 - firm: 0.44 - fpga: 7.09) dimm (firm: 3.06) - net (firm: 13.05)
and always using the same PIC
The FPGA code has not changed (at least not the version) and now I'm aligned with the versions joeks has.
I'm pointing at the PIC now, do you know there are different versions ?

Thanks !

Paolo
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

Paolo63 wrote:
andygeezer wrote: Solution for some was a null netboot PIC chip, while all type3 triforces look the same there is quite a few FPGA firmwares present. Yours sounds like it has a stock one as vs4 wants to update the firmware.
It's not still clear for me if there are different versions of null/net boot PIC chip.

Anyway, using the only PIC I've (the same I've used for the Naomi), I "netboted" when I had these versions:
main (boot: 2.17 - firm: 0.44 - fpga: 7.09) dimm (firm: 1.15) - net (firm: 12.11)
and I continue to boot via net now that I've updated my Triforce using the VS4 system update to these versions:
main (boot: 3.01 - firm: 0.44 - fpga: 7.09) dimm (firm: 3.06) - net (firm: 13.05)
and always using the same PIC
The FPGA code has not changed (at least not the version) and now I'm aligned with the versions joeks has.
I'm pointing at the PIC now, do you know there are different versions ?

Thanks !

Paolo
Net boot PIC is a one or two byte difference over a regular PIC.

Some so called net boot pics for sale do not work. I'd say the PIC is the issue here.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

well gave it a quick test last night with the naomi and works great ....after 20 mins of realising i didn't create the naopi folder o\ that is :oops: but nice simple solution paolo63 :)

Didnt have a whole lot of time ,but gave it a quick go in the chihiro as well ,didnt get it to work but i havent used the chihiro in ages :oops: and may have it setup wrong as it wouldnt boot from transfergame either ,i could have changed it back for gdroms or something the last time i used it. :think:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
joeks

Post by joeks »

I have it working flawless on my Naomi 2 mobo with netdimm. The netdimm doesn't need the zero pic inserted.
Great and super easy way too load games without opening the cabinet or grabbing my laptop and cross-cable each time.

When I use it on my Triforce with zero pic inserted (Paolo told me the Triforce does need a zero pic for now, Naomi doesn't).
it doesn't work properly. I tested two zero pic's / netboot chips which do work when loading a game trough transfergame.exe.
So the chips seem to be ok.

Didn't think of it before, but I have a zero pic for my Chihiro (Type 3) too, which I can probably test on the Triforce as well! :)
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

joeks wrote:I have it working flawless on my Naomi 2 mobo with netdimm. The netdimm doesn't need the zero pic inserted.
Great and super easy way too load games without opening the cabinet or grabbing my laptop and cross-cable each time.

When I use it on my Triforce with zero pic inserted (Paolo told me the Triforce does need a zero pic for now, Naomi doesn't).
it doesn't work properly. I tested two zero pic's / netboot chips which do work when loading a game trough transfergame.exe.
So the chips seem to be ok.

Didn't think of it before, but I have a zero pic for my Chihiro (Type 3) too, which I can probably test on the Triforce as well! :)
Thanks for the review :D

I don't know about the pic swapping between Chihiro and the other two (Naomi and Triforce) but I believe it's doable.
Then another question: at the beginning of this "tests session" you had the Naomi not booting too, do you know why ? Were you using the pic on them at that time ?
Anyway I've just (half an hour ago) sent you my Raspberry Pi and my security chip, the same I was using here having no problems booting my Triforce type 3. We'll see ;)

Last thing, I'm thinking at a super easy way to make the game selectable without even building the dip switch thing I've published on my site:
I'll call it the "poor man selector" and it will be simply done by jumpers. What's more easy ?! No soldering at all ! Not so many selections possible as with dip switches, but better than one only :)
Or for the "riches" I'm thinking at this solution: http://www.ebay.it/itm/Read-your-Pi-16x ... 1245193857"
but first let's try to understand why my Triforce type 3 can boot and your not

Thanks

Paolo
mchay
Please Continue...
eBay: mchay85
Initials: HAY

Post by mchay »

Finally got my colleague's spare Raspberry Pi today - hoping to test NaoPi this weekend :awe:
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

Well i used to use my pic from the Naomi with the chihiro type 3 and it worked ok ,again as i said it been quiet awhile since i used the chihiro (as in easily 12 months) and cant remember if it was transfergame or some python script i was running. :think: but it definitely loaded.

Just wondering now if i was using the right pic last night :think:
I might go back to gdrom settings on chihiro boot game and work from there.

Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

geotrig wrote:well gave it a quick test last night with the naomi and works great ....after 20 mins of realising i didn't create the naopi folder o\ that is :oops: but nice simple solution paolo63 :)

Didnt have a whole lot of time ,but gave it a quick go in the chihiro as well ,didnt get it to work but i havent used the chihiro in ages :oops: and may have it setup wrong as it wouldnt boot from transfergame either ,i could have changed it back for gdroms or something the last time i used it. :think:
Eheheh, sorry for the naopi folder, I did'n want to mess with other things on someone else usb memory so I've decided to require such a folder :)
Great to know it works on Naomi, now the goal is to make it work on Chihiro and Triforce types 3 like it works on my Triforce here. I've just sent my security pic to joeks to see if that's really the problem like andy supposed.
I know it's no more an "hot" topic, being everyone interested already equipped with a cf adapter, and so thanks again for your tries, sons of a real "spirit of curiosity" ;)

Paolo
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

I really love this thread. I don't even have a system that can benefit from it, I'm just a curious guy too. ;)
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

emphatic wrote:I really love this thread. I don't even have a system that can benefit from it, I'm just a curious guy too. ;)
you seems.. emphatic ! :D
joeks

Post by joeks »

Thanks for sending me your Raspberry Pi and chip for testing Paolo!
Really generous gesture. Hope it helps me sort my Triforce troubles and help you with some more testing :)
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

joeks wrote:Thanks for sending me your Raspberry Pi and chip for testing Paolo!
Really generous gesture. Hope it helps me sort my Triforce troubles and help you with some more testing :)
We have a mission here, we have to sort it out !
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

emphatic wrote: I'm just a curious bi too. Image