Best Attract mode?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Best Attract mode?

Post by pubjoe »

I've been watching Street Fighter Zero 3's attract sequence for the last half hour, a pleasure that I've often indulged in. To be honest, I've ended up doing this most times I've ever inserted this particular game. Watching the colourful, often comical artwork and huge variety of character matchups is addictive and it's hard to force myself to turn it off. It gives a wonderful taste of how much amazing content and character went into the game and I admire it so much that I fall in love with capcom again whenever I watch it.

It got me thinking, what's your favourite attract?

I've also left Magical Drop 3 on attract a few times recently. Great artwork in this and a good example of why it's nice to just watch a game, as when you're playing something like this you're too busy concentrating to notice the art and animation.

Then there's some crappy ones, like Samarai Shodown which tries something a bit different but completely fails in it's job to sell the game. And Metal Slug... Argh! (argh argh..) Just why?
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Re: Best Attract mode?

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

It's probably KOF98 for me.

I like to leave fighting games on attract mode after I've been playing them. Right now I can't think of any non-fighting games with especially nice intros and gameplay demo segments, but then again I just woke up.

Zero 3 is a close second (probably because I've been playing it a lot lately), and the other Zero games are pretty cool too. In general KOFs have the best intros, but it only takes one gameplay segment with Mai, Yuri or Athena to **** me off. Mortal Kombat II has an awesome intro as well. And the the high score jingle in SSF2X always puts me in a good mood.
Emulation's nice when done well
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

As for attract modes that I just simply can't stand even if I like the game very much: all the Capcom VS SNK games, especially CVS2. :problem:

Special mention goes to Third Strike, though I don't even like it as a game. Bleh.
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

Dimahoo no contest.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

The lameass wigger **** is a major turnoff in 3s. Im guessing its a hit in the US
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

For me it's mostly fighters too. For nostalgia I love the original SF2 as it's just great (unintentional racism aside) - the second the music starts I'm hooked, AvP as I played it a lot during lunch times at school and Virtua Racing as it looked astonishing when I first saw it - these 3 still make me all tingly.

SFA3 & KOF98 are a couple of my favourites too. I'll probably have the KOF rap stuck in my head all day now though :problem: Last Blade 2 & MOTW are another couple of NG games with great intros. If my 4 slot's running on attract I sometimes like to have League Bowling in as the attract is entertaining despite being completely lame :oops:

My favourite though has to be SSF2/X mainly because of the Ryu bit.
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

Air/Akuu Gallet deserves honorable mention too.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

crunchywasp wrote:I'll probably have the KOF rap stuck in my head all day now though :problem:
I dare you to play that one part on air guitar. :shifty:
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

I'm drawing a blank here but there are quiet a few i like.

The main one that springs to mind is sengoku blade , not sure why :think: ( . )( . )

Svc chaos intro is good as well from what i remember .... quiet a few of the kofs

again mainly the sf series but agree hate 3s and not fond of the 2x intro either its ok.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Yeah the Ryu bit in Super Street Fighter is sooooooo awesome. I think they ruined it a bit in X/Turbo with Cammy's weird tongue spasm. :wtf: Erm... Is that supposed to be sexy or is she catching a fly?
kernow wrote:Metal slug lame!? Sigh
Alright simmer down. I'm referring to the constant screaming, which makes an otherwise decent attract unbearable. The screaming part is funny once, but not non-stop. I wouldn't have minded if they'd looped it so it happened every ten minutes.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Speaking of attract modes, I was idly going through some games last night and fired up Terra Force. Played it for a minute or so until the scrolling changed to the vertical section, and was immediately struck that this was possibly a game I've not seen since 88/89 when I spent quite a significant portion of a trip on the Waverley steamer watching the attract mode.

So I watched the attract for a while. It never alternates the scrolling direction to vertical. Left it for the night.

Came back to it this morning and decided to try some of the alternate ROM sets for it. Fire up the Japanese one, watch it for a bit - the first scroll is vertical, then another vert, then hori. There's a Japan bootleg release that also does the same.

Think I've found a game I've never played and last saw in childhood.

Actually playing it however - it's nails, and also unfair. It has foreground objects that hide the players ship, enemies, and bullets. The latter may be due to emulation bugs though.
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

Post by cthulhu »

I really like Cyvern's and Dimahoo is awesome as well (great B-movie vibe going on there).

As for newer games, I really love Deamon Bride's attract mode.
My Arcade games

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
grainflavour
Please Continue...
eBay: grain-flavour

Post by grainflavour »

What instantly sprung to mind was Killer Instinct, I'll never forget seeing it in the arcade and thinking wow 8-) However it has aged very badly.

Any of the Crazy Taxi attract modes does it for me. Find them really inviting and it screams 'have a go!' The game looks solid and has aged well, and I like the music :D
meijin

Post by meijin »

Sengoku Blade is the best. Can watch it for hours 8-)
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

cools wrote:It has foreground objects that hide the players ship, enemies, and bullets. The latter may be due to emulation bugs though.
This is a typical theme with the Nichubitchi (I don't care to spell that, honestly) shooting games. I think it's quite fair though, as you can use this to your advantage (blowing up air enemies with your ground weapon without blowing up a hole in the ground).

My favourite might be Vulcan Venture. Very cool attract sound.
Kretinou
eBay: Perklorik
Initials: JIC

Post by Kretinou »

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

Kretinou wrote:Image
Ah, and who can forget the part in Garou Densetsu 3's intro where the narrator says "...LONE WOLVES ARE BACK!" :awe:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

emphatic wrote:
cools wrote:It has foreground objects that hide the players ship, enemies, and bullets. The latter may be due to emulation bugs though.
This is a typical theme with the Nichubitchi (I don't care to spell that, honestly) shooting games. I think it's quite fair though, as you can use this to your advantage (blowing up air enemies with your ground weapon without blowing up a hole in the ground).
It's fine on the vertical bits - the enemy bullets go underneath the landscape, but on the horizontal bits? An enemy, the player, and bullets can be behind the same bit of scenery... Not sure what you mean about the advantage.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

I meant on the vertical screens. The hori stages are dangerous (except the underwater one).
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Ahh right. Yeah the vert bits are straightforward :D