Which Candy cabs are best for me?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
witchfinder
Please Continue...
Initials: MAT

Which Candy cabs are best for me?

Post by witchfinder »

In a few months time I will have a new garage/games room built and ready to populate with 10-15 cabs. I want at least one of these to be a candy, so as I’m not too knowledgeable about these machines I thought it best to ask some people who are! ;)

I’ll be looking for a machine to play fighting and shooting games on (no surpise there) and the majority of these will be JAMMA or JAMMA+ standard, e.g. Tekken, SVC Chaos, Samurai Aces. I’m not looking to pick up many JVS standard games although I might eventually like to get a NAOMI setup to play games like Ikaruga and Zero Gunner 2.

So basically I’m looking for a cab with a JAMMA-compatible monitor that is rotatable and can later be adapted to play JVS games. My budget will be circa £750. What do you guys recommend?
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: Which Candy cabs are best for me?

Post by SuperPang »

If you didn't want JVS, an Egret 2 would be ideal as it can be easily rotated but it sounds like a Blast City or New Net City is what you need. It all depends what's available. Some patience will be required.

Also, if you're in the UK make sure that garage is well insulated and has a heater.
nerdygrrl
Please Continue...
eBay: sea_chicken11
Initials: MMM

Post by nerdygrrl »

+1 on making sure your area is heated. The best way to kill a monitor is firing it up in the cold.

Two things when considering a Candy IMO:

Are parts available for it?
and
Are there techs around you who can do monitor work?

The biggest problem for me with my candies was finding someone experienced to do the monitor work and finding available parts.

That being said cabs with rotatable monitors offer the most versatility. Then again that is only needed if you are into shooters or want to run some other type of vert game in your cab.

I had an E2 and loved it. The fact that in a ten minute period I could got from hori to vert rocked. The downside was that parts were impossible to find for it.
Last edited by nerdygrrl on October 27th, 2013, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
witchfinder
Please Continue...

Post by witchfinder »

The 'garage' is being specifically built to be used as a game room so insulation and heating won't be an issue (hopefully!)

Thanks for the advice thus far. I would say an easily rotatable monitor is a prime requirement as I intend to play vertical shooters and horizontal fighting games on the cab.
Johnnychaos
eBay: Keyamon

Post by Johnnychaos »

Sounds to me like you need two :D
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Johnnychaos wrote:Sounds to me like you need two :D
Yeah, get two SEGA cabs, as TAITO cabs are a bitch to find spare parts for. Or just get two pristine TAITO ones. :awe:
witchfinder
Please Continue...

Post by witchfinder »

Johnnychaos wrote:Sounds to me like you need two :D
That's a possibility, eventually... :)
moshpit
Fantasy Zone Finder
Initials: RON

Post by moshpit »

emphatic wrote:... as TAITO cabs are a bitch to find spare parts for...

so true :(
WARNING! A HUGE BATTLESHIP IS APPROACHING FAST!
julius blaze
Please Continue...
eBay: pincer_attack

Post by julius blaze »

Well there aren't a ton of cabs with easily rotatable monitors, you are pretty much stuck with Egret candies for rotatable monitors. And then you would need JVS adaptors for those. Cyberlead cabs would allow you to play JVS out of the box and then you need JAMMA adaptors for them (some people love cyberleads, they're not my favorite cabs though, they're okay IMO...)

Personally I am the only guy into candies who doesn't like Egret 2's (I think Egret 1's are funky and cool but too small for 2players, awesome one player cabs though). I don't like the ergonomics for fighting games (I'm a competitive player), the monitors are good though, and it has an easy rotatable mechanism for vert shmups I guess... I'd rather just get another New Astro City. If you are a moderately strong guy it isn't that hard to rotate the monitor yourself: Lay the cab on it's back gently, unscrew the front bolts and then lift up and turn.

I just like the looks, ergonomics, control panels and parts availability of Sega cabs too much. If I was you I'd go NAC or Blast City unless you really think you're going to rotate the monitor constantly.
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Post by rugdoctor »

sounds like you have a bit of room...get a versus city for the sheer joy of vs play.
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
famicom
Please Continue...

Post by famicom »

rugdoctor wrote:sounds like you have a bit of room...get a versus city for the sheer joy of vs play.
2 or 3 versus cities in a row so you can have mini tournaments or multiple games setup
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Post by rugdoctor »

I have 2 vs cities side by side, the wow factor is priceless from visitors...then they see the row of astros/naomi on the hidden side wall and minds are blown. ;)
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
famicom
Please Continue...

Post by famicom »

rugdoctor wrote:I have 2 vs cities side by side, the wow factor is priceless from visitors...then they see the row of astros/naomi on the hidden side wall and minds are blown. ;)

Sounds nice. Honest question though—what makes a Vs. City better than 2 single cabs linked? Seems like 2 linked cabs would be more versatile & easier to move.
BackInTimeSime

Post by BackInTimeSime »

I went with x2 Sega Astro City's, seem good value, lots about, and having one for vertical and one for horizontal removed all the issue or rotating stuff (its enough to blow your bum hole out)...

I like the way they look to :) they look sweet next to my Sega Frankenstein Pinball also :)

You going to get some pins for your games room also ;) I went for two cabs and two pins (the other being a Metallica)... Its a nice mix...
Drift
Please Continue...

Post by Drift »

Out of interest, how many people keep cabs upstairs?

I had to take my converted bookies cab almost completely apart to get it up there, and I suspect that was light compared to a lot of the candys.
Johnnychaos
eBay: Keyamon

Post by Johnnychaos »

Drift wrote:Out of interest, how many people keep cabs upstairs?

I had to take my converted bookies cab almost completely apart to get it up there, and I suspect that was light compared to a lot of the candys.
I took my NAC upstairs by my self. Without the monitor in its pretty light.
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Post by IDCHAPPY »

Johnnychaos wrote:

Drift
Please Continue...

Post by Drift »

Johnnychaos wrote:

That's good going, although yeah I did find a lot of the weight in the monitor, only *after* I'd dismantled it heh. Also the 90 degree turn before the last few steps made things tricky.

Would love to own a NAC...maybe one day :)