Conversions debate (split from IRT thread)

Coin-operated games and arcades.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: I received today...

Post by SuperPang »

markedkiller78 wrote:So there is! It looks like CPS2 has finally died a death.
Because of the boots. Cave PGM next I guess :problem:
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

SuperPang wrote:
Fingers crossed :shifty: I can't see it. Only one person churning them out just now. If they start doing it elsweere, then yes death to PGM. Cheap (original) Ketsui for me please.
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Post by wonderbanana »

markedkiller78 wrote:
SuperPang wrote:
Fingers crossed :shifty: I can't see it. Only one person churning them out just now. If they start doing it elsweere, then yes death to PGM. Cheap (original) Ketsui for me please.
It's not just boots, ports push the prices down as well especially when their region free.
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I don't see the point in BUYING conversions *at all*.

May as well build a MAME PC. The code on the conversions is not the original code so even if you're running on original hardware you can't be sure that it's running identically, so what's the point?
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

cools wrote:I don't see the point in BUYING conversions *at all*.
No you make them your self ;)
Up the Irons!
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

cools wrote:I don't see the point in BUYING conversions *at all*.

May as well build a MAME PC. The code on the conversions is not the original code so even if you're running on original hardware you can't be sure that it's running identically, so what's the point?
For me it's simply I don't want a MAME PC in my cab, just a plug n play Ketsui :) Can't comment on the code as I don't know but plays fine for me and I'm enjoying it which is all I wanted (for now). I certainly wouldn't argue conversions are not as good as the real thing though but rightly or wrongly theres a market for them, even in the last few weeks in this thread we've seen 2 X Ketsui's and an Ikaruga cart so MAME isn't what everyone wants. Slightly OT but also seen plenty of Naomi CF's around recently and we all know net-booting is popular too, people will always seek different soloutions to play what they want if they can't (or won't) source an orignal.
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
sombetzki
Initials: AAS

Post by sombetzki »

Nice said Wonderbanana. I'd love to get my hands on those carts, great get!
Last edited by sombetzki on May 16th, 2013, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me!
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

Some games just don’t seem worth the current asking prices to most people and they may not have the cash some games fetch. High demand games sometimes never appear for sale, so conversions/bootlegs seem the next step if you can’t even find them for sale! :)

I could not find a reasonable priced Kung Fu Master PCB that was clean and all I could find was bootleg versions and I nearly bought one just because I wanted to play it in my cab so much and bored of waiting but I waited a finally picked an original one up so glad I waited.

At the end of the day, it’s all about playing games you like, the way you like. And some people can accept different methods to achieve this.

I think we are approaching a stage where demand is making games harder to find and in the condition we want, so price will go up. Plus some people ideas of values on most video game/arcade related stuff is **** over people who enjoy the hobby and just want to get the game they need. Even condition seems to be overlooked greatly, especially on eBay where some stuff still makes good money for dog ruff stuff!

Hope that makes sense.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

odd to see arcade stuff getting cheaper again and retro console games are getting more expensive again , a few years ago it was quite the opposit.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

Neo_Arcadia wrote:odd to see arcade stuff getting cheaper again and retro console games are getting more expensive again , a few years ago it was quite the opposit.

I think its all rising with more people hoping to cash in on people looking to buy back stuff they played in their childhood.

I mean, look at this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-SATURN-D ... 27d2a6069c"

£49.99 for a Japanese Sega Saturn Daytona USA

I bought one yesterday for £1!!

Just makes me mad that some people have this distorted view on values. I mean, I dont mind paying over the odds on some stuff if the item is clearly well looked after etc and hard to find in that condition but some peoples sales, on eBay, other sites and sometimes here (not too often) seem unreasonable.

Bit of a rant as I have been buying up all my older games as I sold most (about £6000 worth of videogames) 3 years ago and have been buying back the cream no and prices are crazy. Just means I have to dig harder to find decent deals or buy in bulk which is annoying.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Only the stuff that's been hacked in some way is getting cheaper. Some kits are going out of fashion too. It's the early stuff with original art that goes nuts in Japan right now.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

or as kern says "the **** games "

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

SuperPang wrote:Only the stuff that's been hacked in some way is getting cheaper. Some kits are going out of fashion too. It's the early stuff with original art that goes nuts in Japan right now.
If you count Mame, then 99% of stuff is hacked.

I think it's a space issue for storage & a cultural thing for "ooh shiney" over in Japan. They bin / sell / recycle things that of no use / value, but when the demand comes back the prices get insane.

Cools has often said that phoenix CPS2 stuff isn't original code. To my mind, if it plays 99.9999% the same, then it's worth the trade off. I've got no experience of PGM conversions, but if it uses the exact same hardware, then it' should be in the 99.99999% same camp if the bootlegger knows their stuff.
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

The older stuff gets, the harder and more expensive it will be to buy, especially once people who dont have them, start getting that eurge to splash out and buy.

Was like that before I got into arcade machines. I used to collect older 70/80 Japanese cars, import cars from Japan and break them for parts for mine and sell on excess to make my money back.

Parts were always in demand but getting good money out of it was hard sometime even though I knew the parts where hard to find in the UK.

Anyway, I ended up selling all of my cars and stufand now all the stuff I had 10 years ago, is even harder to find and even more expensive. I always sell out too early! :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

tetsujin wrote: I always sell out
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

markedkiller78 wrote: If you count Mame, then 99% of stuff is hacked.
MAME has no doubt had an effect on all PCB prices since it launched. The impact is much wider and far less tangible though and MAME has its advantages when real hardware breaks. It can also lead to purchases of original games. I find it hard to believe many bootleg/conversion owners truly intend to buy the original one day.
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

markedkiller78 wrote:
tetsujin wrote: I always sell out
LOL Cats... stupid cats
wonderbanana

Conversions debate (split from IRT thread)

Post by wonderbanana »

SuperPang wrote:I find it hard to believe many bootleg/conversion owners truly intend to buy the original one day.
In my case you are wrong :P
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

wonderbanana wrote:
SuperPang wrote:I find it hard to believe many bootleg/conversion owners truly intend to buy the original one day.
In my case you are wrong :P
Then you should've saved your pocket money like a good boy. :D

*rides off on high horse*
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

There is someting great about owning the 'original' stuff too.

I started collecting Super Famicom games. I only have 12 games (thats how many were worth buying on the system...) but each is mint in box but I have sold 3 of them becasue I ended up buying it again in slightly better condition! :roll: :problem: :lolno:

I need intervention.
LOL Cats... stupid cats