Book: Arcade Mania

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Re: Book: Arcade Mania

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Yeah that got a review in last months issue of Edge magazine here in the UK. Didn't get a terribly great write-up to be honest; I seem to recall it said it was a bit disjointed (i.e. not all pictures matched the text on any given page etc; but they concluded that it was an ok read.

Edit: linky linky link

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/boo ... cade-mania
Kaire
Please Continue...
eBay: lady_kaiulani
Initials: CMB

Post by Kaire »

I better just buy that book on amazon like you did, because it's been like 3 weeks and those idiots at
Borders.com say it's 'back ordered'. I find that hard to believe considering alot of people don't even
know about the book. So Devil, is it worth it?
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Its alright. Its divided into chapters dedicated to the different sections of a typical arcade which means theres as much about sticker machines as there is about STG, so only so much interests me. I would've liked more history and less talking to specific players. I also noticed a couple of errors (IIRC he implies Garegga is by Cave for one) and theres lots of annoying "scene setting".
Kaire
Please Continue...
eBay: lady_kaiulani
Initials: CMB

Post by Kaire »

See, thats what I wanted, history. Not arcade culture I get enough of that every day , I don't need a book telling me
what it feels like. I'm sad now... and guess what Borders just sent the book to me. What other mistakes did they
make in that book so I can properly note them.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

The UFO section is a bit meh, & the Shmups aren’t exactly well researched, but it’s still a decent read. I don’t think the book gave me any more insight than I aready had so I agree that it’s not exactly aimed at people like us,

That begs the question, who is it aimed at then?
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

srarcade wrote:
markedkiller78 wrote:That begs the question, who is it aimed at then?

That is a good question. I don't see people who play console games picking this up. Its not really aimed for kids and its certainly not a casual read either. I give up- maybe it was intended for people who are into arcade culture but it falls far short? :lol:
I think so too, it’s a good effort, but it needed more thorough research. If you are going to print a book covering niche subjects, you really need to make sure your content is accurate.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

srarcade wrote: maybe it was intended for people who are into arcade culture but it falls far short? :lol:
Bingo! ;)
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

so its for posers like me :D

maybe the arcade otkau kids need to get off there **** and build some content. then in a couple of years time the site can write its own book 8-)
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress