Want to build a NAOMI 2 Supergun - What do I need?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
julius blaze
Please Continue...
eBay: pincer_attack

Re: Want to build a NAOMI 2 Supergun - What do I need?

Post by julius blaze »

If money is tight and you are handy, you could forgo the vogatek entirely, get a JAMMA edge connector and wire your power supply to it, plug the VGA into a VGA monitor, and then come up with your controller method, since if you're using a VGA monitor and don't need to convert the video from RGB to something a TV can use, the Vogatek really isn't doing that much for you.

I would get the Vogatek because it's cheap and I'm lazy, but it's optional if you're on a budget. Just throwing you another option. 8-)
Leprekaun
Please Continue...

Post by Leprekaun »

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Julius, I'm not sure how I would go about wiring a PSU to an JAMMA Edge connector, would you mean that I solder the wires from the PSU to the JAMMA edge connector? I have no experience or skill with soldering so I'd feel uncomfortable doing that. I think I might have to bite the bullet and get a Vega 9000DX or Sega Boardmaster supergun, although, I've read on another thread here that the RGB output of the Boardmaster is bad so would anyone know how I would go about improving it?
Leprekaun
Please Continue...

Post by Leprekaun »

I was wondering actually, what if I skip the JVS -> JAMMA conversion altogether. Is it possible to connect a USB controller to a JVS I/O board? I understand that I will need a separate sound amp if I go with the JVS I/O but it might be a lot cheaper if I get a JVS I/O, a PSU to power the I/O, a sound amp connected to the same PSU for the I/O board and then just connect my controller to the JVS I/O.
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

Leprekaun wrote:I think I might have to bite the bullet and get a Vega 9000DX or Sega Boardmaster supergun, although, I've read on another thread here that the RGB output of the Boardmaster is bad so would anyone know how I would go about improving it?
Dunno mate. My Vega 9000DX gives a really nice picture but I have read that Sigma's RGB output is better. TBH I can't see much if any difference in quality between any of the ones I have (Sigma AV6000, AV7000, Raijin, Vega 9000DX and The Special Version of the Combo AV). It seems to be fairly well documented that the Boardmaster needs a bit of fiddling with to get it to output at a nice level, but I've never used the BM personally so I'm only going on what I have read.
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Leprekaun wrote:I was wondering actually, what if I skip the JVS -> JAMMA conversion altogether. Is it possible to connect a USB controller to a JVS I/O board? I understand that I will need a separate sound amp if I go with the JVS I/O but it might be a lot cheaper if I get a JVS I/O, a PSU to power the I/O, a sound amp connected to the same PSU for the I/O board and then just connect my controller to the JVS I/O.
The JVS IO connects to the usb input on the motherboard and gives you digital input via the 60 wire harness. You could wire your controls that way, but then you need to power the JVS IO and the audio amp, which means more cables etc. Imho it's a much more complicated route to go down. You want the Capcom IO and a JAMMA supergun.

One way you could save a few quid is to use the sega jamma io rather than the capcom one, but the sega io has no audio amp so you'd need to amplify the audio out from the naomi motherboard somehow. A cheap powered ipod speaker or set of pc speakers is an option.

Leprekaun
Please Continue...

Post by Leprekaun »

Thanks for the info. Before I make a fatal mistake, do I need a net dimm board to play VF4FT? Or will a regular dimm board work with it fine?
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Post by davewellington »

So much effort to just play VF:FT D:
all your wiki pages belong to me
julius blaze
Please Continue...
eBay: pincer_attack

Post by julius blaze »

Leprekaun wrote:Thanks for the info. Before I make a fatal mistake, do I need a net dimm board to play VF4FT? Or will a regular dimm board work with it fine?
Regular Dimm will work fine, Net Dimm is only for games the arcade operators wanted to network, or for hobbyists like us to load ISOs from the internetz to play lots of games without buying them. Doesn't make a difference for VF4FT (Unless you buy the Net DIMM and then don't buy VF4FT...)

But netbooting is quite a pain in the **** from the instructions online, I have never done it.
tony starks
Please Continue...
eBay: tone_starks
Initials: III

Post by tony starks »

Forgive me for hijacking the thread :mrgreen:
If you need housing for your supergun I have a Sega Saturn hss 130 shell and base no control panel though. pm me if you're interested :P
Starks is always out.
Leprekaun
Please Continue...

Post by Leprekaun »

So it's definite that I don't need a net dimm for VF4FT? I've read on another forum (can't remember which one now) that VF4FT doesn't work so well with older dimm boards so I don't want to be in a situation where I have everything connected up and then the game doesn't work :(
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Leprekaun wrote:So it's definite that I don't need a net dimm for VF4FT? I've read on another forum (can't remember which one now) that VF4FT doesn't work so well with older dimm boards so I don't want to be in a situation where I have everything connected up and then the game doesn't work :(
You might need a decent firmware and bios for vf4ft, but if it comes on gd-rom then just the standard dimm board with a scsi port will work fine.
Rumbaldo
Please Continue...
eBay: Idonothaveebay
Initials: JFR

Post by Rumbaldo »