CPS2 ethics

Coin-operated games and arcades.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

CPS2 ethics

Post by capcomguru »

Serious question here guys... now that mame officially supports pheonix sets, boots are rampant and multiboards exist, is it appropriate to discuss conversions? I have the knowledge to convert one game to another, and would love to make the information public, however if its gonna **** a lot of people off I'll just keep it to myself.

Discuss.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Re: CPS2 ethics

Post by John James Pacinelli »

You are pointing out an interesting ethical issue Sir. I hope this will develop into a constructive discussion*.

* There's gonna be blood on the walls, we all know it :awe:
Last edited by John James Pacinelli on January 9th, 2009, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vagina
purplec

Post by purplec »

DO it
richy13
Ming the Merciless
eBay: ...

Post by richy13 »

i also have converted most cps2 boards well every one that as a Phoniex edition fix working out each boards jumpers & correct PAL that each board uses. i have writen all data found for each game and which chips are used to convert every one of them.if anybody is thinking of doing any convert work & need a little bit of help please let me know and i will try my best to help you out.

richard
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

capcomguru wrote:Serious question here guys... now that mame officially supports pheonix sets, boots are rampant and multiboards exist, is it appropriate to discuss conversions? I have the knowledge to convert one game to another, and would love to make the information public, however if its gonna **** a lot of people off I'll just keep it to myself.

Discuss.
Feel free to make the information public on your own website or something similar, but please keep it off this board. While many of us prefer phoenix versions, if it's done to a working board prior to battery failure it's not something we want to encourage. Conversions from one game to another are a definite no. Why create yet more bootlegs?
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Personally I don’t see anything unethical about converting your own boards, selling them on to someone who thinks that they are real however is.

It’s just my opinion of course & I don’t think that anyone is looking for us to tell them whats right & whats wrong.

Just out of curiosity are there many CPS2 games that don’t have phoenix roms now?
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

grabs popcorn
markedkiller78 wrote:Personally I don’t see anything unethical about converting your own boards, selling them on to someone who thinks that they are real however is.

+1
richy13
Ming the Merciless
eBay: ...

Post by richy13 »

markedkiller78 wrote:Personally I don’t see anything unethical about converting your own boards, selling them on to someone who thinks that they are real however is.

It’s just my opinion of course & I don’t think that anyone is looking for us to tell them whats right & whats wrong.

Just out of curiosity are there many CPS2 games that don’t have phoenix roms now?
fixxes i have never seen are...

Vampire Hunter 2 Darkstalkers Revenge
Vampire Savior 2 The Lord of Vampire
puzz loop 2
mighty pang
Choko
Galum Pa!
Jyangokushi Haoh no Saihai
Pnickies
Capcom Sports Club
Quiz Nanairo Dreams Nijiirochou no Kiseki

richard
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

Personally, I have wanted to find out how to phoenix my own CPS-2 boards. Converting from one board to another would be pretty cool but not something I would frequently do. I would just want to phoenix my boards so I could preserve them just like everyone else. Also, I would love to find out what chip I'd need to buy for one of the graphics chips inside the XvSF board. I did some color edits and it would just be awesome if it were possible to be able to switch out the chip for it so I could use that version of color edits. Simplified, yes, it would be awesome if all this info was made public.

-Tha Hindu
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Here is the Arcade Otaku position you will see whenever the Phoenix issue arises: if you want to preserve or resurrect your CPS2 games, send the ROMs off to Razoola at cps2shock.com, that way the guy who spends his time developing these awesome tools gets some money for his effort.

As for reflashing your own boards to others or whatever, I fail to see the fun in that but I'm happy for it to be discussed although we won't allow the provision of such services or the tools to do so, again because its tantamount to bootlegging.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

It's about keeping things original, or able to be returned to original (or as close to as possible).

I'd certainly be interested in knowing the method of converting a board to another, if only to judge whether I personally would perform it. Phoenixing is a matter of reburning the ROMs on a dead board - different kettle of fish altogether.

The point is moot anyway - discussing the procedures necessary is against the rules here.
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

Its about preservation. Its Capcom's fault that CPS2 boards suicude anyway, PE is the ideal way to prevent this from happening, and has other benefits too. (language options, freeplay etc) My Euro SSF2T is set to USA for the freeplay option.
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

if youre not fussy about your boards being originals then why not just buy one of those all-cps2-games-in-1 board from you friendly HK dealer?

i know some cps2 carts are worth very little but i still think its a shame to ruin an original.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

sven666 wrote:if youre not fussy about your boards being originals then why not just buy one of those all-cps2-games-in-1 board from you friendly HK dealer?

i know some cps2 carts are worth very little but i still think its a shame to ruin an original.
Or Mame

Of the "conversions" I'm sure that the majority will become Progear & HSF2 boards.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

markedkiller78 wrote:
sven666 wrote:if youre not fussy about your boards being originals then why not just buy one of those all-cps2-games-in-1 board from you friendly HK dealer?

Or Mame

Of the "conversions" I'm sure that the majority will become Progear & HSF2 boards.
Heh my curiosity which led to my research was sparked by hsf2 and progear. Those were the first two I mad a couple years back. The conversions I do now a days are games that I happen to like, not neccissarily expensive ones.

I'm with the majority here, suiciding a game to convert isn't cool, which is why all of my conversions started off as a suicided common game.

See I look at my conversions in the same light as Neogeo aes and nes cartridge conversions. I put the extra effort forth to clean up the shells, and do nice labels for each one. I personally see no problem with making games for the personal collection, however making them for profits is a big no no. That being said, I won't get into the juicy details on these forums.
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

I don't think it's a big deal, and I think the "ethics" are a bit screwed up. One thing is the legal factor, which is valid for current systems - but I don't see the difference between phoenixing CPS2 boards and changing a couple of roms to switch Life Force into Salamander.

If the "ethics" is to protect the "investment" of collectors, I say screw it - I'm into this hobby for the games and the electronics, not to make a buck buying/selling games.
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

invzim wrote: I say screw it - I'm into this hobby for the games and the electronics, not to make a buck buying/selling games.
stop thinking with your ****, if nobody was interested in the buisness part of the hobby you could kiss it goodbye.

none of these things were ever intended for the private market, you should concider yourself lucky there are people willing to put this stuff out there for anyone to buy.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

invzim wrote:If the "ethics" is to protect the "investment" of collectors, I say screw it - I'm into this hobby for the games and the electronics, not to make a buck buying/selling games.
Definitely not. I'm not a fan of money made from bootlegs etc but that's a debate that's not going to start up again :lol:

An original is something special, regardless of it's monetary value. The same applies to art, music, film. Phoenixing is the nearest equivalent to restoring a painting to it's original quality. Converting it is like painting over it with something else.
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

Who here owns a full set of CPS2 mame roms without owning every board (and revision) :oops: Guilty.

Selling them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marvel-Vs-Capcom- ... 240%3A1318

V V unethical.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

CPS2 wrote:Who here owns a full set of CPS2 mame roms without owning every board (and revision)
Totally different issue. Having a digital copy of the ROMs for these games does not destroy the original. Bootlegging an existing board does.
cools wrote:An original is something special, regardless of it's monetary value. The same applies to art, music, film. Phoenixing is the nearest equivalent to restoring a painting to it's original quality. Converting it is like painting over it with something else.
QFT.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004