Top 6 NeoGeo MVS games

Coin-operated games and arcades.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Re: Top 6 NeoGeo MVS games

Post by crunchywasp »

I used to play FF Special in the arcade when it came out and didn't like the plane shifting then. I naively saved up for ages and bought FF for the Mega Drive & Special for the MCD at home back in the day too - I really tried to like the system but ultimately found it to be just pointless and annoying. Granted, I find it a lot more bearable in RB but it still winds me up. I even hate the character animation when they jump between planes :problem:

I just think that all the FF games would be better without it :oops: Like you say, maybe I would like it if I learned to use it effectively but I can't see me ever wasting my time putting the time in :shifty:

*sigh* I'm a silly Capcom man at heart really :whoopsie:
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

crunchywasp wrote:I used to play FF Special in the arcade when it came out and didn't like the plane shifting then. I naively saved up for ages and bought FF for the Mega Drive & Special for the MCD at home back in the day too - I really tried to like the system but ultimately found it to be just pointless and annoying. Granted, I find it a lot more bearable in RB but it still winds me up. I even hate the character animation when they jump between planes :problem:

I just think that all the FF games would be better without it :oops: Like you say, maybe I would like it if I learned to use it effectively but I can't see me ever wasting my time putting the time in :shifty:

*sigh* I'm a silly Capcom man at heart really :whoopsie:
Alright, maybe you should just get Real Boul Special: Dominated Mind for the PS1 then. It has no plane shift system. :)
Emulation's nice when done well
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Ahh, I've never heard of that one. Sounds interesting :think:

I don't have a JPN PS1 though :( ...
...or the inclination :whoopsie:
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I played a lot of the first Fatal Fury, especially when I rented it a week for the Snes. You know how when you play a game loads and loads and you start building on your skills and reflexes, move set, timing, reactions, blocking and dodging and so on? Well after grinding through Fatal Fury for a week I'd learnt to do the same move repeatedly for a hundred hours. Made a better two player game no doubt.

I agree with Crunchy wholefartingly about the plane switching. It was just an option to do this weird slow motion kick in the wrong direction. Occasionally the CPU would switch plane and start diddling about on his own and in the slight distance and I'd have to remember what to press to go and chase him, then he'd switch back, oho fun and games. Again, probably worked better with two players.

While I'm currently getting into some NeoGeo games though I do find myself fancying a try of the later Fatal Furys, I think I'll try the RB games. I'll definitely get a MOTW cart at some point too. That's almost a different game though.
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Hmm, I'm not a massive fan of the NeoGeo but my fav top 6(5?) in no particular order are.

*Metal Slug X - The definitive Slug game for me. I love the first game but it's a little too easy, well until the bridge section on Mission 5.. X is the perfect length of nifty level design, secrets, difficulty and length.

*Pulstar - It's no R-type, and the limited use of the pod reduces creative gameplay compared to it's big daddy, but the graphics, amazing music and polish more than make up for it.

*Samurai Shodown 2 - This was the last SS game that I played to any depth in the arcades. The seqeals are probably better? but this it the best revision to me.

*King of Fighter 94''- The squeals are clearly superior but this is the one I played the most before my local arcades started to decline. It blew my mind how polished and well made it was compared to the previous FF games and Neo fighters. Great stuff.

*Viewpoint - Still a masterpiece. Very unique at the time. Solid design and a massive challenge. The difficulty was pretty harsh bit it was doable with 1-Credit. There was a guy in my local arcade that could 1CC this....B*****D! :)well balanced difficulty. A*

*Double Dragon - It was a very mediocre game for the time but its in my top6 purely because of nostalgia. Back when it first came in 95' me and my mate used to take turns learning it to get a 1CC. Anyway, one Saturday morning my mate and I had arranged to meet at 11am in Mr Q's pool hall as usual to play in the small arcade that they had. He turned up late so I just started playing. Half hour later I managed to get to the last boss for the first time ever! (that game is soo cheap..) but there was still no sign of my mate. I swifty died on him then 5 mins later my mate turned up.. It turned out he had missed his bus and decided to jog into town instead (1 Mile...) but he tripped on lace and had a pretty nasty tumble and hurt his knee pretty bad, he turned up in pain with ripped jeans, blood and everything! :)
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

pubjoe wrote: I agree with Crunchy wholefartingly about the plane switching. It was just an option to do this weird slow motion kick in the wrong direction. Occasionally the CPU would switch plane and start diddling about on his own and in the slight distance and I'd have to remember what to press to go and chase him, then he'd switch back, oho fun and games. Again, probably worked better with two players.
lol i forgot about that ,also got to mention when you did it by accident and tried to make it look like you meant it :shifty:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
maini
Please Continue...

Post by maini »

My favorit Games are:

1. Blazing Star
2. Strikers 1945 Plus
3. Magical Drop 3
4. Viewpoint
5. Pulstar
6. Last Resort
capcomkillah

Post by capcomkillah »

My favorite MVS games are...
Kinzuna Encounter
WakuWaku 7
Rage Of The Dragons
Magic Drop 3
Shock Troppers 2nd Squad
Ninja Master
Reco1210
Please Continue...
Initials: LEO

Post by Reco1210 »

I'm quite new to MVS (late to the party i know!) but from what i got so far it would be:

1) MOTW
2) Metal Slug X
3) Shock Troopers (i got the 2nd but still haven't tried it)
4) Puzzle Bobble
5) Pulstar (or Blazing Star, not sure what i prefer but i think Pulstar has got the edge for me so far)
6) Windjammers

Judging by some of the other lists i think mine may change when i get my hands on Strikers 1945+, Metal Slug 3 and TSB.

Aero Fighters 2, Last Blade 2 and Metal Slug have also spent a lot of time in my cab.
Imhotep
Please Continue...
Initials: STB

Post by Imhotep »

the NeoGeo introduced me into arcade gaming, I've moved on since, but there's some great games.

in no particular order:

Magician Lord
Nam-1975
Samurai Spirits 4
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Blazing Star
Sengoku

extended:

Last Resort
Viewpoint
Shock Troopers
Fatal Fury 3
Art of Fighting 2
Strikers 1945 II Plus
SMBulletz
Please Continue...

Post by SMBulletz »

My 6 would be:
MotW
Blazing Star
Metal Slug 3
Dodgeball
Last Blade 2
Twinkle Star Sprites or Magical Drop 3 ( my wife loves both)
jlz
Please Continue...

Post by jlz »

My top 6 would be:

Blazing Star
Shock Troopers
King of Fighters 95
Last Blade
Garou
Metal Slug X

I only got myself a CMVS last year after being an AES collecter for years, so it's great to be able to snap up the games that I couldn't afford on AES
BrokerOfEvil
Please Continue...
eBay: browncostume
Initials: cmc

Post by BrokerOfEvil »

Metal Slug 3 - all the hidden paths, and destroying multiple choppers with a single zombie blood spray/vomit.
Samurai Shodown 2 - best music. I actually liked the craziness of 3, but 2 is much more solid, and has no weird hit detection. If you're an execution freak, go with Last Blade 2 instead.
Rage Of The Dragons - You don't have to put a lot of thought into it, and the juggle system is pretty much byob.
Sengoku 3 - Tons of characters, and fun to play with friends.
KoF 99 - Loved the ost, backgrounds, and striker system. Krizalid is my second favorite SNK boss next to Geese.
Neo Bomberman - Those sprites!