NEO XYX MVS LE - NG:DEV.DIRECT

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Re: NEO XYX MVS LE - NG:DEV.DIRECT

Post by Chempop »

I love the art and music of the NG:DEV games, but mediocre gameplay keeps me from buying them. I really want this to be good, I'd splurge on the DC port :awe:
jase

Post by jase »

Funny I was thinking about when this would show druring the week. Really looking forward to it. :awe:
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Post by wonderbanana »

Chempop wrote:I love the art and music of the NG:DEV games, but mediocre gameplay keeps me from buying them. I really want this to be good, I'd splurge on the DC port :awe:
Launch mediocre shmup game on Steam or iTunes - cost 69p a pop.

Launch to dedicated arcade enthusiasts - priceless! :lol: :lol: :lol:
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
Ghegs
Please Continue...
eBay: ghegs
Initials: GHE

Post by Ghegs »

Alright, here we go...first impressions after a few credits.

The game is absolutely gorgeous. The art looks great and the art style is very cool, reminds me of 80's/90's sci-fi awesomeness. I especially like the intro and game over screens. The music is of high quality as well, very fast-paced, kind of synth rock -like music. Gameplay-wise, I never had problems seeing any bullets, the contrast is very good. After a boss explodes the bonus icons are covered by the explosion so it feels like you might miss them, but since you can just fly around the top of the screen without a worry at that point, I'm not sure if it's actually a problem. NG:Dev, please re-make Last Hope: Pink Bullets with this level of graphics and I'll be your best friend.

The choice between tate and hori play is good. The game's clearly meant for tate play, but the hori mode isn't just an afterthought. The UI layout is different to take proper advantage of the extended vertical space, the intro/game over/score tally screens between stages all have their graphics oriented properly, even the short "How to play"-guide at the start of the game (which can be skipped) is laid out differently between the modes. I really would've liked to see the medal and bomb icons (the ones you pick up in-game, not the ones on UI) to be oriented correctly in hori mode, now they're still pointing at left of the screen. That would really convince the player he's not just playing a tate game in hori. Maybe we'll see that in a patch?

The gameplay is very fast-paced. The ratio between aimed shots / bullet patterns is very good at about 50/50, it doesn't really feel like a danmaku and I would say it's not supposed to, either. More like an early 90's shmup like Batsugun. The ship is very fast but not uncontrollably so, and the speed is welcome when you want to fly around to screen dodging bigger bullet clusters and gathering up all the items. No power-ups here, only medals, bonus icons, bombs and bomb fragments. And there's the slow mode which comes very handy during more hectic moments and boss fights. I do wish the screen's left/right scrolling would start just a hair earlier than it does now.

In my first credit ever I only made it to Stage 2, but I've since made it to Stage 3. So far the game feels neither unbearably hard nor stupidly easy, so the difficulty level seems very good. Then again, I suck at vert shmups (and I am playing this on tate mode) so somebody else will probably have an easier time with it.

I did find a small bug: in hori mode, when entering your initials, the controls were not only flipped to tate, but also mirrored, as if it was the right side of the screen was at the bottom and not the left. Nothing gamebreaking, but still weird. Certainly this will be fixed in a patch.

On the whole, I'd say this is a damn good game. After the Dreamcast version is released and more people have a chance to play, I'm pretty sure this will be hailed as NG:Dev's best game yet. Not only that, but a good game in its own right as well.

Bonus! Huge image with all the assorted swag that came with the game.
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Thanks a lot for your great post, Ghegs. :awe:
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Post by IDCHAPPY »

Nice to see there's life in the old girl yet :awe:
Ghegs
Please Continue...
eBay: ghegs
Initials: GHE

Post by Ghegs »

One more video, this time showing the game in the horizontal orientation and up to Stage 3: http://youtu.be/QGloQtA6AKU"
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum
theman
eBay: aero_city
Initials: RJC

Post by theman »

ahh ok for some reason i thought it would be like giga wing/radiant silvergun, hori-tate...Durr, love the little speach bubbles that come out, nice touch.
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn »

looks a lot like mushihimesama. :think:
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Finally had chance for a go on this. I will play it some more before I form some proper impressions (and maybe patch suggestions) but to say this is a step up for NG:DEV would be an understatement.

Casey120
The Fluffer
eBay: Tappygielen
Initials: CVW

Post by Casey120 »

I get a big Toaplan vibe out of it :whoopsie:

Enemy's, backgrounds, Tatsujin style bomb, I like it and can't wait for the DC version to have a go myself .
system11

Post by system11 »

Random blog of stuff:
http://blog.system11.org
kuze

Post by kuze »

system11 wrote:Reviewed it:
http://blog.system11.org/?p=598
Great review! Thoroughly looking forward to playing this game when the DC port comes out. Really wish I had the spare cash to drop on the MVS cart though.
ikaruga007
eBay: dex511
Initials: PJN

Post by ikaruga007 »

Looks very nice! The first NG:DEV game I really feel like picking up. Art style, music, SFX, pacing... looks like a quality game.
NeoGeo1
Please Continue...

Post by NeoGeo1 »

I´am waiting for the Sega Dreamcast Version. I hope it will 100% Fine like the Neo Geo MVS AES Version.
Mendel
Please Continue...
eBay: 81Mendel
Initials: PNM

Post by Mendel »

Here´s my custom shockbox insert so you can print it if you like.
It´s based on Thamiel´s big red shockbox insert template and the flyer that came with the gamecenter edition kit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ovno958xvnlwi7w

Narrowly Avoided Catastrophy owner´s club
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

It's a keeper this, I really love it. It's not just NGDT's best game, it's one of the best STG on MVS. Aside from a few tell tale signs you'd think it was a genuine early 90's arcade release.
strykr
Please Continue...

Post by strykr »

Really looking forward to getting the DC version.

Had a newsletter a day or so back that sid it should be ready to come out for the winter holiday, Merryshmuptime!
Wanted: Paperboy PCB
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

If I had an AES I'd be all over that LE preorder.
k1ngarth3r
eBay: t-0-m-t-0-m
Initials: Tom

Post by k1ngarth3r »

I'm thinking of ordering the AES version but doesn't ship to next year - Do you need to pay now or when it ships does anyone know?

Edit: Never mind I just went through the order process and you pay now :shifty: