Anyone familiar with Microplay?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Anyone familiar with Microplay?

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Hi guys,

I am the archetypal Arcade machine n00b, so please forgive me my transgressions.

Anyway, now that the obligatory apology is out of the way, I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I am going to look at a pretty ugly cabinet on Saturday, made by Microplay. Whilst I'd prefer a nice sit-down candy cab (I like the Jaleco Mk II 28 that they have in London's Trocadero), beggers can't be choosers, and this hideous Microplay thing is only £79, including a random smhup that I have never heard of, "Image Fight" from 1988 (according to KLOV it's by Irem of R-TYPE fame so possibly quite good?).

Anyway.

It's got awful looking euro-sticks and buttons which will get an instant replacement with Sanwa or Seimetsu, and the cabinet itself can be cleaned up.

What I am unsure about though, is resolution. How will I be able to tell what resolution the monitor is? It's quite an old machine, and KLOV says that the game installed is "Standard Resolution", but what does that actually mean?

I read a document on the web which went into great depth about teh different numbers of lines etc on 15.7khz, which just left me confused.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What would be the optimum situation?

At least I know it's JAMMA.

:)
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Re: Anyone familiar with Microplay?

Post by chubsta »

the easy answer is tht it will be 15khz and will therefor work with pretty much everything you throw at it, unless you want to put street fighter iv :D
theevilfunkster
Keeps Lordstar on a leash

Post by theevilfunkster »

Image Fight is a fairly decent shooter and you'd probably get most of your money back if you sold it.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Devil Soundwave wrote:Whilst I'd prefer a nice sit-down candy cab (I like the Jaleco Mk II 28 that they have in London's Trocadero),
THANK YOU!

Been meaning to pop into the Troc next time I'm down that way and check out exactly which Jaleco cabs were there. Saved me the hassle of remembering now :)
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

EvilFunkster - That's good to know, thanks! I'm definately gonna buy it now. Even if I don't like the game and/or teh cabinet is junk, as the price I can't NOT buy it really - I can only improve it. Repaint and new stickers I think. :)
cools wrote:
Devil Soundwave wrote:Whilst I'd prefer a nice sit-down candy cab (I like the Jaleco Mk II 28 that they have in London's Trocadero),
THANK YOU!

Been meaning to pop into the Troc next time I'm down that way and check out exactly which Jaleco cabs were there. Saved me the hassle of remembering now :)
No problem. I love the Pony cabs in there - and they've FINALLY listened to my whining and fixed the joystick on Puzzle Bobble 2! Had been screwed for about 2 years!
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

I got it! My first arcade cab.

Behold - my Microplay cabinet in all of it's hideous wooden Euro cab glory!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Fy1VlHeP42w/S ... %2B001.jpg

Image Fight is really fun, I just need to look up how to turn up the machine volume online (unless someone here can tell me). I'm gonna play it all as is until pay day, then the hole thing is getting stripped down, cleaned, painted and new controls fitted.

i feel like a legitimate member of this board now. :)

Next step - convincing wifey that a candy cab will look good next to the wardrobe so I can have a both a normal and a tate!
theevilfunkster
Keeps Lordstar on a leash

Post by theevilfunkster »

Your image isn't showing up for me :( As for the volume, there's probably a volume pot on the Image Fight PCB itself.
Bingo83
Please Continue...
Initials: KRS

Post by Bingo83 »

Original Advert HERE with pics
Check out my SoundCloud and my profile at House-Mixes for my latest DJ Mixes
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven